Chicago NCAA Meeting

UmpTTS43
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4100 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

He did pass the base. It was an appeal. It was an appeal on the BR missing first. Since the 3rd out was on BR before safely acquiring 1st, no runs score. Same sitch if BR misses 1st on a double. If correctly appealed no runs score

Agreed and this should of been umpiring 101 for the level of those involved.

He did pass the base. It was an appeal. It was an appeal on the BR missing first. Since the 3rd out was on BR before safely acquiring 1st, no runs score. Same sitch if BR misses 1st on a double. If correctly appealed no runs score

While I agree with you, it was not obvious to the MLB umpires at the time. 

Agreed and this should of been umpiring 101 for the level of those involved.  While I agree with you, it was not obvious to the MLB umpires at the time. and English 101 says "it should HAVE been umpiring 101"

:P

• Like 1

Agreed and this should of been umpiring 101 for the level of those involved.   While I agree with you, it was not obvious to the MLB umpires at the time.  and English 101 says "it should HAVE been umpiring 101"

:P

ha ha .  good one.  Its good for me that they don't care about grammar on the field.

While I agree with you, it was not obvious to the MLB umpires at the time.
and English 101 says "it should HAVE been umpiring 101":P
ha ha . good one. Its good for me that they don't care about grammar on the field.

:shrug: it's offseason. Sorry. :notworthy: :)

What if the runner misses 2nd and gets caught in a rundown between 2nd and 3rd and they tag him, without mentioning a thing about missing 2nd , and runs score before being tagged. Does the out stand right then (time play) and there and the run or runs score, or can they, and do they, now have to appeal that he missed 2nd and since he was forced to 2nd base no runs would score. In other words, do you have to make 2 outs in 2 different ways on the same player to get the run or runs taken away in certain situations.

Also, if multiple runners that are forced miss bases, do you have to appeal in correct order any more. In other words, if runners miss 2nd and 3rd, you have to appeal the runner missing 3rd first and then the runner missing 2nd, otherwise if you appeal the runner missing 2nd first, that takes off the force for the guy missing 3rd. That old guy that I met years ago, said you have to do the appeals in the correct order, or runs that you thought would not count would now count since the force was off. Penalize for not knowing the rules on the definition of a force play was his comment, and that was not the umpires fault. Has that interpretation changed over the years.

Riddle me this: if R1 misses 2B, gets pickled trying for 3B, safely steps on 3B, are youi going to allow the appeal just because they didn't retire him? Wouldn't the whole pickoff scenario constitute a "play or attempted play?" :HS: think about it for a second and it'll dawn on you like a new day. :D

What if the runner misses 2nd and gets caught in a rundown between 2nd and 3rd and they tag him, without mentioning a thing about missing 2nd , and runs score before being tagged. Does the out stand right then (time play) and there and the run or runs score, or can they, and do they, now have to appeal that he missed 2nd and since he was forced to 2nd base no runs would score. In other words, do you have to make 2 outs in 2 different ways on the same player to get the run or runs taken away in certain situations.

Of course you can appeal for an advanteageus 4th out just like you could in any other situation, assuming the so-called picke wasnt a new play of course but was continuous action.

Also, if multiple runners that are forced miss bases, do you have to appeal in correct order any more. In other words, if runners miss 2nd and 3rd, you have to appeal the runner missing 3rd first and then the runner missing 2nd, otherwise if you appeal the runner missing 2nd first, that takes off the force for the guy missing 3rd. That old guy that I met years ago, said you have to do the appeals in the correct order, or runs that you thought would not count would now count since the force was off. Penalize for not knowing the rules on the definition of a force play was his comment, and that was not the umpires fault. Has that interpretation changed over the years.

THe old guy was right that relaxed action appeals must be made in the proper order.