Introducing Umpire-Empire Clinics!

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4141 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

The next stage in the growth of Umpire-Empire; Clinics.

Partnering with Jason Blackburn of the Mid-American Clinic, Umpire-Empire brings you clinics.

We are starting in Jacksonville, FL in January of 2013 and will have more dates and locations for the summer and fall of 2013.

If you are interested in hosting a clinic in your area please contact me.

We look forward to meeting as many of you as we can there.

• Like 1

The next stage in the growth of Umpire-Empire; Clinics.

Partnering with Jason Blackburn of the Mid-American Clinic, Umpire-Empire brings you clinics.

We are starting in Jacksonville, FL in January of 2013 and will have more dates and locations for the summer and fall of 2013.

If you are interested in hosting a clinic in your area please contact me.

We look forward to meeting as many of you as we can there.

pm me your email address

This is not meant to be negative or argumentative, but I see no NFHS qualifications with an otherwise very qualified faculty.

That is what my board would respond.

Larry Sansevere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is not meant to be negative or argumentative, but I see no NFHS qualifications with an otherwise very qualified faculty.

Larry Sansevere

The staffs will vary for each clinic. However, what sort of NFHS qualifications are you looking for? The 3 of us have umpired high school baseball. I believe Olindo and Jeff still might.

As Rip Torn would say... "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."

• Like 1

Is anyone from the Midwest area planning on making the trip? I've also considered flying down...would there be some type of shuttle available? Also, any discounted hotel rates available?

Larry Sansevere

The staffs will vary for each clinic. However, what sort of NFHS qualifications are you looking for? The 3 of us have umpired high school baseball. I believe Olindo and Jeff still might.

That was Patches O'Houlihan! God! Get it right!

(Yes, I'm fully aware Rip Torn played the part)

Still, props for the Dodgeball reference.

Digressing, this is a concept I'd love to see make its way up here. However, that is highly unlikely to happen due to all the bureaucratic red tape, on top of the fact that anyone who is not a representative of a current professional umpire school (assuming they cleared the tape and got permission to host) would almost certainly have to go through Baseball Canada and then the respective provincial association in order to be recognized and then would likely have to incorporate the existing training cirriculum in order to have success, given that the current training process is for anyone who is not nationally certified, invitation only FWIW, is to pay a registration fee of $45 and then take a one day, 7 hour clinic (6 hours of training). Even our National clinic is light in training...last year's was 8 hours of training spread over two days.

Digressing, this is a concept I'd love to see make its way up here. However, that is highly unlikely to happen due to all the bureaucratic red tape, on top of the fact that anyone who is not a representative of a current professional umpire school (assuming they cleared the tape and got permission to host) would almost certainly have to go through Baseball Canada and then the respective provincial association in order to be recognized and then would likely have to incorporate the existing training cirriculum in order to have success, given that the current training process is for anyone who is not nationally certified, invitation only FWIW, is to pay a registration fee of $45 and then take a one day, 7 hour clinic (6 hours of training). Even our National clinic is light in training...last year's was 8 hours of training spread over two days.

I'd be interested in seeing if this is even possible...

I don't know Canadian law and what might be required in having one up there. But as for Baseball Canada, I don't see why they would have to be involved or have any say. We would provide a clinic and those who are interested pay for themselves.

Larry Sansevere

I don't know...maybe mentioning the states the faculty is certified in.

The point being NFHS is mentioned as the first rule set covered, but it doesn't even mention that any faculty member has done high school ball.

If I brought this to my board as a suggestion they'd kick me out of the room because we are an NFHS group.

Larry Sansevere

So, they wouldn't recognize HWUS or JEUA? Seriously????

Those 2 schools do not teach Fed mechanics. Nor should they. But if your doing Fed ball under strict Fed mechanics, what good are pro or college mechanics.

This is an organization that would not waiver the local training for a friend of mine who was AAA & D1. He appealed to the state and got nowhere. He is now in another association in a different part of the state. I have been to JEAPU's liberty classic and that had a very pwerful impact on my umpiring. But it is of no value to my association.

But let me get back to my original point. It's being touted as a NFHS clinic, but none of the clinicians have any NFHS credentials. I'm just pointing out what I consider a "marketing" flaw. IMHO

Those 2 schools do not teach Fed mechanics. Nor should they. But if your doing Fed ball under strict Fed mechanics, what good are pro or college mechanics.

This is an organization that would not waiver the local training for a friend of mine who was AAA & D1. He appealed to the state and got nowhere. He is now in another association in a different part of the state. I have been to JEAPU's liberty classic and that had a very pwerful impact on my umpiring. But it is of no value to my association.

But let me get back to my original point. It's being touted as a NFHS clinic, but none of the clinicians have any NFHS credentials. I'm just pointing out what I consider a "marketing" flaw. IMHO

Larry I definitely appreciate your points and will make some changes accordingly to the overview page for clarification.

I do not want this to be perceived as a NFHS clinic.

Mechanics will be instructed from the CCA as the CCA is the most widely accepted mechanics set. Rules sessions will cover both MLB and FED. Specific rules differences will be highlighting and discussed. It will not be a FED only rules discussion.

You must have missed this answer earlier:

Larry Sansevere

Plus what qualifications are you looking for?

Looks like they have HS experience and still working HS Games.