PBUC

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4663 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We sent a young guy to JEA this year and I found out today that he is in the top ten and been invited to PBUC.

That's great news....one of "our youngsters"...just finished up at JEA as well....he also will be heading to PBUC next month.

He's been to CDP with us for several years...went with us last year to the Annapolis, MD Open in March...but he'll be excused from that one this year....he's a Philly area kid...GOOD LUCK to both of these young men....do us proud....

Scuzz

• 4 months later...

The young man in the OP just got a call last night to report to Coastal Plain League in NC. His first game is tonight.

Scuzz, you never PMed me about the Annapolis Tournament, Kyle worked it while his dad was on the 4A championship game.

CPL is a sore subject for more than one ump on this sire....beatyoass.gif

Why is that?

Did some googling.

I will assume you watched Bull Durham and remember the preacher in the film. That was Pete Bock. I found this in an old article about him.

Mr. Bock himself is a former semipro ballplayer (second base and catcher), who spent three years as a professional umpire in the Appalachian, South Atlanta and Carolina leagues before spending several years as general manager of the Durham Bulls and then of the Hawaii team of the Triple A Pacific Coast League before returning to his native North Carolina.

Pete Bock has a son that played College Baseball and he got tired of having to travel so far to see him play during the summers, so he started the Coastal Plains League in 1997. This League has a lot of very talented college players that play with "wood bats" during the summer. It has been rated the 2nd best summer college league after the Cape Cod which has been in existence for a 100+ years. Pete Bock is President of the League (CPL).

The CPL used College D1 umpires during the summers and paid $125 per game. All of a sudden in 2008 a contract was signed between (PBUC Professional Baseball Umpire Corp and PBOC (Pete Bock=CPL) that no one knew about. This contract called for PBUC to provide 14 umpires for this League during the summers. These would be reserve umpires from the PBUC list that did not make it into Pro Ball. The umpires would get 65 per game with lodging and meals provided by the teams. This meant the D1 umpires would not longer work the games. The AMLU (minor league umpire union) had no idea this deal was being made until they heard about it after the fact.

Needless to say, the D1 umpires from the CPL were not happy about this turn of events and felt betrayed by the Minor League umpires for taking their games away since this group of D1 umpires had supported the umpire strike in 2006 and did not cross the line to work games during the strike.

Let it be clear from the letter below from the AMLU, that they in no way new about this until after the fact. The CPL had sought out the PBUC for this agreement.

This is a note from Shawn Francis that was posted on the AMLU website.

"Recently I have been made aware that umpire school graduates who were sent to the PBUC evaluation course in Cocoa, FL, and who did not receive placement in Minor League Baseball for the 2008 season, are being offered placement in the Coastal Plain League for the summer. In exchange for taking the assignment, the umpire school graduates are being offered a return trip to the PBUC evaluation course in 2009 without having to go through the expense and uncertainty of umpire school another time.

The collegiate umpires who normally work this college wood bat league each summer are now expressing their dissapointment with Minor League Umpires, who in their eyes are taking their games away from them.

First, please let me make myself and the AMLU clear, we share the umpires dissapointment that their games were taken away from them by the agreement the Coastal Plains League sought out with PBUC. Most importantly, the umpires in this area were some of the most supportive umpires of the AMLU during our work stoppage two years ago. This has not gone unnoticed by the AMLU and is why we are working on finding a solution to this situation.

Understand that the umpires that are working these games this summer are NOT Minor League Umpires.

They are NOT members of the AMLU.

The AMLU has NO jurisdiction over those umpires.

The AMLU and/or actual Minor League Umpires cannot prevent the Coastal Plains League Presdient from seeking umpires anywhere he sees fit.

If the Coastal Plains League was seeking to use actual Minor League Umpires, the AMLU would certainly not allow that to happen.

The AMLU is continuing to look into any possible scenerio that we can take part in that will help the collegiate umpires in getting their games back.

If anyone has any thoughts on what the AMLU can do to help out in any way please post your thoughts here so they can be considered and discussed.

Thank You.

Shaun Francis

AMLU President "

Now you know why, for some on this board, this is a sore subject.

You can google around yourself for this information.

You asked, you received. However, there are others who are infinitely more aware of the ins and outs of everything that transpired. This is just what I could put together googling and searching around for an answer for you.

First absolutely nothing against these guys chasing their dream.

My association use to assign several of the CPL teams. Getting some CPL games was one of the milestones I wanted in my career. That all ended.

Without going into specifics these guys now make barely over half what our guys made. There are 3-4 levels of games I call each week which pay more than what they are making, and the quality of ball is generally better in the CPL. And it's not just a money thing.

From what I understand they commute daily from their housing in the Raleigh area to areas 4-5 hours away to their games, then return each night.

A while ago I had a showcase game and after the game my partner who was a regular at various CPL games for us introduced me to the GM of one of the CPL teams who said after watching our game he wished he had guys like us back.

First absolutely nothing against these guys chasing their dream.

My association use to assign several of the CPL teams. Getting some CPL games was one of the milestones I wanted in my career. That all ended.

Without going into specifics these guys now make barely over half what our guys made. There are 3-4 levels of games I call each week which pay more than what they are making, and the quality of ball is generally better in the CPL. And it's not just a money thing.

From what I understand they commute daily from their housing in the Raleigh area to areas 4-5 hours away to their games, then return each night.

A while ago I had a showcase game and after the game my partner who was a regular at various CPL games for us introduced me to the GM of one of the CPL teams who said after watching our game he wished he had guys like us back.

well since I might be going to the CPL very soon.. I will tell you, that us Umpires have no idea about the agreement with the league and PBUC, we jsut work games were we are told. The umpires are working the games trying to get to the next level Minor league baseball.

We get a hotel in the same city that we are working in, and then the next day get up and drive tot the next city we are working in. Sometimes there are over nights Or we stay in the same city 2 night in a row. Most of us dont care about the money, we are chasing a dream..

The young man in the OP just got a call last night to report to Coastal Plain League in NC. His first game is tonight.

Scuzz, you never PMed me about the Annapolis Tournament, Kyle worked it while his dad was on the 4A championship game.

Mike clear out your In BOX...LOL