The other night...

MAC
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4225 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

R1 Stealing 2b on way to 2b, F4 tackles R1, pinned for 4-5 secs. F2 throws to 2b and goes into center field. R1 recovers and touches 2b and proceeds to 3b where runner is held up by 3b coach.

Ball was live during the whole play. On a delayed obstruction call should the runner be awarded home? If in the umpires opinion runner would have scored if not tackled on the way to 2b?

Tackled? 4 to 5 seconds of pinning a guy? I would need more info to make an accurate assessment.

Based on what you say, NO, I am not giving him home, I am ejecting the 2nd baseman for UC. I have runner safe at 2nd on OBS, and he gets third on his own.

Many other here can chime in, but I would need more info to truly decide it.

MAC,

If in the umpire's judgement the runner would have scored absent the obstruction, OF COURSE you award him home.

All codes.

The key is to remember that the proper penalty for obstruction is to award bases so that the act of obstruction is "nullified". So, you ask yourself, "What would have happened if the runner hadn't been obstructed?", and then you award to produce that result.

ALL benefit of the doubt goes to the runner, particularly if the obstruction is blatant or extreme.

I can certainly empathize with Danny's suggestion to dump F4 (and it's probably the right thing to do), but I'd be tempted to keep him around to see what OTHER idiotic thing he might do to cost his team.

JM

• Like 1