Study on Safety of Traditional vs. Hockey Style Masks

JimKirk
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5603 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent information Jim. I read your blog post too. I guess they taught you well at ol' Centre College. I, too have had a class or two in statistical analysis and research ethics and methods so I read every statistical report with a seriously jaundiced view. I applaud the kids for at least taking up the study and I appreciate your commentary about the study. I would also like a more scientific, and in-depth study of all the masks both styles and the various materials available.

Either the government should require it or someone should commission it like MiLB is doing for the amateur umpires with all the concussion problems they are having.

Maybe some equipment seller like yourself could do so and get some free advertising out of it? Although the technology to measure the g-forces would probably cost a pretty penny. On the other hand, with our litigous society, you probably would be buying a lawsuit from some unhappy manufacturer. (that's the lawyer in me talking there)

Edited by Majordave
english grammar, what else?

Jim,

Thanks for bringing this in. I find some pretty glaring flaws as well; not the least of which is the fact that they used the All Star gear used by ... Little League. I was shocked when I read that they test it at 60 MPH :wow: well, now I know why.

Skeet shooter? What? There are no JUGS machines available near to Kettering U?

I'm also wondering how the flatter traditional mask (Nike Titanium?) would hold up to direct shots in a test like this. (but please, lose the skeet shooter!) :cheers:

Thanks again! :HD:

Jim,

I'll add my thanks for posting the links. Well-written blog entry, BTW.

This is a subject of some interest to me simply because I'd like to wear the best protection available when I'm behind the plate. While the study was certainly not "conclusive" by any stretch, I applaud the college kids for making the effort.

When I first started umpiring, I decided to use a "bucket" (Easton Stealth, if anyone cares.) My primary reasons were that I didn't know if I'd be able to stay "face front" when I saw a pitch or "tipped foul" heading for my noggin, I had seen the video of the MiLB umpire who got hit up side the head with a batter's follow through and I really didn't want to find out what that felt like, and I knew I would be working some games on fields with those God-awful clamshell backstops where a foul could come back down and hit one on top of the head.

After my first summer, I decided to acquire a "traditional" mask (Wilson DynaLite) like the big boys wear. I pretty much use it exclusively now, though I keep the helmet in my gear bag as a "backup".

I've taken prety solid shots wearing both, and I've found that they both protect me fine. I've never had anything that felt even close to a concussion.

I've read a lot of threads on the subject on umpire boards, and heard some who complain about the HSM's comfort (e.g. heat, weight) or "loudness" on a hit. I never experienced that. The helmet is certainly heavier in the hand, but, when worn, that extar weight is disributed more evenly than a mask and, subjectively, didn't feel any heavier to me. When I wore the helmet, I would take it off in the same situations I now do a mask, and that was never a problem (well, maybe once).

I would say that the helmet does provide a "less obstructed" field of view, but I feel I can see everything I need to with the mask, so that's more of a psychological than a practical advantage. Probably the biggest disadvantage to the mask from my perspective was that it was cumbersome to hold while handling lineups and such.

That, and my opinion that the mask looks more "professional" than the helmet, are the primary reasons I use the mask exclusively these days. Were a credible study to come out that demonstrated that the mask did offer a significantly greater degree of protection, I'd go back to it in a heartbeat.

Until that happens, or my own experience suggests otherwise, I expect I'll stick with the mask.

JM