This could get ugly if UE members get involved!!

mjr_2013
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4230 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

https://www.facebook.com/umpattirecom/posts/506189182729450

UA's Facebook is having its friends bid on an All Star Superlight Titanium Alloy Umpire Mask that is valued at $209 on its website.

Bidding ends at midnight, and we are already at $110. I expect to see many of your names appear in the comments section!

I may jump in there as well...

The thing about the All-Star Ti is that it's a blend of metals ......it's not like the Wilson Ti. And, they've tested this rig at over 100mph in their own air cannon. Brad from All-Star has stated that the blend of Ti and other 'secret ingredients' that All-Star uses is the trick to its durability.

But what makes this mask any better than the $85 All-Star I bought earlier this season? The mask itself is 16.5 ounces and has great visibility - how much better can this one possibly be?

Nothing Rich ........ again ...like with a lot of stuff ...it's the "cool factor" ....

The thing about the All-Star Ti is that it's a blend of metals ......it's not like the Wilson Ti. And, they've tested this rig at over 100mph in their own air cannon. Brad from All-Star has stated that the blend of Ti and other 'secret ingredients' that All-Star uses is the trick to its durability.

Don't think any of us really care what the materials are...we want something protective, comfortable, and that provides good vision.

Based on this, I saw no difference between the all star titanium and regular powder coated fm25. That's why I returned it.

Don't think any of us really care what the materials are...we want something protective, comfortable, and that provides good vision.

Based on this, I saw no difference between the all star titanium and regular powder coated fm25. That's why I returned it.

just pointing out the differences and some added info some may not be aware of ..........

just pointing out the differences and some added info some may not be aware of ..........

That's not what I meant. I just meant paying a "premium" price for a titanium mask.

That's not what I meant. I just meant paying a "premium" price for a titanium mask.

violent agreement :)

Grant, it's been very bsaic and limited research, but from what I gathered here frames are liekly made from Grade 5 titanium. Grade 5, also known as Ti6Al4V, Ti-6Al-4V or Ti 6-4, is the most commonly used alloy. It has a chemical composition of 6% aluminium, 4% vanadium, 0.25% (maximum) iron, 0.2% (maximum) oxygen, and the remainder titanium.[5] It is significantly stronger than commercially pure titanium while having the same stiffness and thermal properties. It also has a tensile strength (amount of force per area to break it) of 1000 Mega Pascals. Stainless steel for means of comparrison has a tensile strength of 570 Mega Pascals. Long story short, the titanium is a fair lot stronger, but it is stupid expensive because of the fact Titanium must be melted in an inert atmosphere or in a vacuum otherwise the metal will combust before it reaches the melting point. Hopefully this has helped muddy the waters some

Funny, I tig welded a piece of Ti at work just to try it. Some special procedures are required to get the proper penetration that will provide the optimum tensile strength (psi). Not much different than welding other alloys, technique wise. Very expensive rods. It is a very strong metallurgical composition, especially considering the weight reduction factor from regular carbon or T1 steel. I'm seriously considering constructing my own mask.

Funny, I tig welded a piece of Ti at work just to try it. Some special procedures are required to get the proper penetration that will provide the optimum tensile strength (psi). Not much different than welding other alloys, technique wise. Very expensive rods. It is a very strong metallurgical composition, especially considering the weight reduction factor from regular carbon or T1 steel. I'm seriously considering constructing my own mask.

I've not done much tig welding, only a cursory training in a few of the millwright classes I've taken, it tends to be reserved for the actual welding tradespeople because of the afore mentioned expense. If you have the skills and means to fabricate a mask, while I wouldn't do it myself (as my skill level may or may not be adequate for steel anyhow and certainly not for titanium) I wish you the best in your endevours.

I've not done much tig welding, only a cursory training in a few of the millwright classes I've taken, it tends to be reserved for the actual welding tradespeople because of the afore mentioned expense. If you have the skills and means to fabricate a mask, while I wouldn't do it myself (as my skill level may or may not be adequate for steel anyhow and certainly not for titanium) I wish you the best in your endevours.

I'm a journeyman millwright. Lol

I'll start with some cold roll just to play with forming and shaping. The welding is the easy part. I'll have to fabricate several jigs to get the right bends.

I'm merely an apprentice, though truth be told that is somewhat on hold atm. The nosedive the economy went on has made it real hard for a first year to get a job in his field.

I'm merely an apprentice, though truth be told that is somewhat on hold atm. The nosedive the economy went on has made it real hard for a first year to get a job in his field.

Been there. Lots and lots of travel to stay working. Kinda like umpiring, only not as fun.
  • Like 1

LOL, now that $180 winner has abandoned ship and claimed someone hacked his account. I may have won it with the $155 bid.

UA just couldn't get off easy with a simple facebook auction could they?

It was all in good fun until the "hacking incident".

LOL, now that $180 winner has abandoned ship and claimed someone hacked his account. I may have won it with the $155 bid.

UA just couldn't get off easy with a simple facebook auction could they?

It was all in good fun until the "hacking incident".

I agree with those quotation marks for sure... I highly doubt a hacker would care to bid money...