Would you ignore the missed base?

Pops
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4178 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

A nothing game where the young kid underdog/downtrodden/last guy always picked hits his first, maybe

Hate to break it too you, but the last kid picked isn't going to be hitting home runs out of the park. Just sayin. If we're going down that path, what about a pitcher who is young kid underdog/downtrodden/last guy always picked is pitching for his first win and the umpire takes it away by not calling the young kid underdog/downtrodden/last guy always picked who missed a base on a home run. Do you see what path you head down when you try to umpire that way?

A nothing game where the young kid underdog/downtrodden/last guy always picked hits his first, maybe

Hate to break it too you, but the last kid picked isn't going to be hitting home runs out of the park. Just sayin. If we're going down that path, what about a pitcher who is young kid underdog/downtrodden/last guy always picked is pitching for his first win and the umpire takes it away by not calling the young kid underdog/downtrodden/last guy always picked who missed a base on a home run. Do you see what path you head down when you try to umpire that way?

Here is where you are wrong, I have seen it. And apparently so has Trout. I even listed the name of the young boy, and I will never forget it. Go back and read it.

The difference being very specific. You play it the way you see it. I don't often remember the studs that come through, there have been so many. I do remember the boy/girl who struggled, was non athletic, but truly loved the game, who sticks it out and progresses to his/her moment of honor. You call what you see and say,"He/she did it to herself". I will call you a heartless umpire that has no right/skill/education to be in the game. I, and some others here, are talking about little league games and once in a lifetime achievements by the kid who everyone knew was never going to make the team past paying his was into LL. We also preferenced our remarks stating that it was a nothing game, with no playoff implications. Knowing the whole story of what the game means is important.

I think you need to go back and watch the movie "Sandlot!" Go find your LOVE of this fabulous game.

I had one of those last night. 4th inning, 0-0 and R1 steals second, and as he is getting up he steps off the base for a moment and is tagged - OUT. From then on out everytime a guy stole they were asking for time after the steal. I guess they learned their lesson.

Perfect example. Usually what happens is a player makes a bonehead move and when the umpire has no choice but to make the call, the umpire is the one that catches the heat for it. Such is life as an umpire.

I will say though I rarely grant time for a runner to get up.

Here is where you are wrong, I have seen it. And apparently so has Trout. I even listed the name of the young boy, and I will never forget it. Go back and read it.

The difference being very specific. You play it the way you see it. I don't often remember the studs that come through, there have been so many. I do remember the boy/girl who struggled, was non athletic, but truly loved the game, who sticks it out and progresses to his/her moment of honor. You call what you see and say,"He/she did it to herself". I will call you a heartless umpire that has no right/skill/education to be in the game. I, and some others here, are talking about little league games and once in a lifetime achievements by the kid who everyone knew was never going to make the team past paying his was into LL. We also preferenced our remarks stating that it was a nothing game, with no playoff implications. Knowing the whole story of what the game means is important.

I think you need to go back and watch the movie "Sandlot!" Go find your LOVE of this fabulous game.

We will agree to disagree sir. And, yes, I do get your point. Please don't accuse me of not loving this game. You have no idea.

We will agree to disagree sir. And, yes, I do get your point. Please don't accuse me of not loving this game. You have no idea.

I can live with that, and I accept your love of the game as a given. I donate my time now, so Little League is where I hang my hat.

The game has been so good to me that I will no longer accept pay. It gives one a different perspective.

Gentlemen, I COMPLETELY 100% agree that in a close game, regardless of implications, I would ABSOLUTELY enforce the rule. My sitch was not this way. I was wrong for not calling it "properly" but I feel in my heart I called it "CORRECTLY."

I don't officially call time for runners to get up. They walk it up. if they dawdle, I simply say, "get up." This tells all involved that I won't be calling anything as he stands up. Once I say it, DT usually immediately returns the ball to F1.

After reading all the responses to my OP (and to the hijacking), I am convinced that I made the correct decision to call the out instead of ignoring the missed base. Sometimes it helps to get this kind of feedback from fellow umpires after the incident. Thanks everyone!

• 3 weeks later...

Preface: I know it was wrong, but......

This game had no outcome on the results of the season. HT up 456-0 in the top of the last inning. 2 outs on VT. A kid who rarely ever makes contact whatsoever takes one deep. HT properly appealed BR missed 2B. I know he missed it, but I don't want to be THAT guy when the game means squat and the VT is behind by at least 12. Score the run. B4 backwards Ks. Game over.

To the teams, the game didn't mean s**t.

To that player, it was the 1st time ever he went yard.

Flame away

The DC had to be a total A-hole to even appeal the miss. He was probably taking extra bases at every opportunity. BTW I don't think that call jepordizes your integrity; I kind of makes you human

Preface: I know it was wrong, but......

This game had no outcome on the results of the season. HT up 456-0 in the top of the last inning. 2 outs on VT. A kid who rarely ever makes contact whatsoever takes one deep. HT properly appealed BR missed 2B. I know he missed it, but I don't want to be THAT guy when the game means squat and the VT is behind by at least 12. Score the run. B4 backwards Ks. Game over.

To the teams, the game didn't mean s**t.

To that player, it was the 1st time ever he went yard.

Flame away

The DC had to be a total A-hole to even appeal the miss. He was probably taking extra bases at every opportunity. BTW I don't think that call jepordizes your integrity; I kind of makes you human

Shhhhhhhh.......... Don't tell anyone :)

...and just for the record. YOU didn't take away the HR. He missed the base. He did it himself. Or maybe blame the DC. You are just reporting, if anything, WHAT you saw. If you are working solo, it's probably pretty hard to see the missed base anyway. :nod:

...and just for the record. YOU didn't take away the HR. He missed the base. He did it himself. Or maybe blame the DC. You are just reporting, if anything, What you saw. If you are working solo, it's probably pretty hard to see the miseed base anyway. :nod:

I didn't see a thing

I generally agree with this, but not when a shutout is possible. If it was 456-1 then I would find it poor sportsmanship. : D

it wasn't a no hitter or perfect game or a shutout. It was simply a run rule.

If it wasn't a shutout, why did you say it was 456 to 0? You implied that it was a shutout. What was the real score (approximately)? If it was a shutout, it would explain why the winning team appealed the missed base. You may have inspired little Joey the batter by ignoring the missed base, but little Timmy the pitcher would be deprived of his shutout. I bet Timmy is in a drug rehab now and suffering from extreme manic depression. :D

I generally agree with this, but not when a shutout is possible. If it was 456-1 then I would find it poor sportsmanship. : D

it wasn't a no hitter or perfect game or a shutout. It was simply a run rule.

If it wasn't a shutout, why did you say it was 456 to 0? You implied that it was a shutout. What was the real score (approximately)? If it was a shutout, it would explain why the winning team appealed the missed base. You may have inspired little Joey the batter by ignoring the missed base, but little Timmy the pitcher would be deprived of his shutout. I bet Timmy is in a drug rehab now and suffering from extreme manic depression. :D

he dropped out of school, became a drug addicted deadbeat dad, and wound up in San Diego. I think his name was Stevie, not Timmy. ;)
  • Like 1

After reading this thread, I can say I would definately "miss" the missed base for whatever reason every day and go home with a good feeling

Which has been the point of this off-and-on discussion. Is it more important to do the feel-good thing, or the right thing?

After reading this thread, I can say I would definately "miss" the missed base for whatever reason every day and go home with a good feeling

Which has been the point of this off-and-on discussion. Is it more important to do the feel-good thing, or the right thing?

in the grand scheme of things, sometimes they are one in the same.

In a competetive tournament with big $ involved, he missed it. In small time rec ball in a blowout game that had no bearing on the season, no miss. I watched this kid grow up from a tballer. He was always a roster filler. The other team still won by run rule, noone lost anything by my call, the kid got a great memory that will last a lifetime, and I got to be a witness. Win-win-win for everybody. I can't say I'd do it again, but I wouldn't change the call at that time.

BTW, the batter hasn't played since that game. Not good enough to make the MS cut or a travel team. His last career AB was the dinger. Would I change my call? Hell no.

• Like 2

I see it as the right thing versus the rule book thing.

I just find it kind of funny. If you go back and look at the hints of people's political views here - which is about as far as it usually goes here - those that are advocating the "squishy," feelings-based decision in this scenario tend to trend away from that elsewhere. That's all I'll say, without putting labels, since I'm trying to tap-dance around it.

And as for me in the scenario: I would call the missed base. For me, my 'right' thing is my integrity, at least as I see it here. Also, maybe I have the "luxury" of not knowing my players from tadpole age up, or doing the same place over and over. Here, I'm not calling enough to even get familiar, but in Ol Virginny, we move around so much that I don't go to the same place more than a few times a year. I can barely recognize players at their 2nd AB in the game, never mind weeks, months or years later. I prefer that way; no one gets attached. I ride into town, shoot the bad guys (or the guys the townspeople paid me to shoot, either way), and then ride off into the sunset.

And while you see it that way, Dannytheman, I would suggest it could be rephrased yet again as "the right thing versus the right thing." The difference, then, lies what we call "right."

I would call the missed base. For me, my 'right' thing is my integrity, I prefer that way; no one gets attached. I ride into town, shoot the bad guys (or the guys the townspeople paid me to shoot, either way), and then ride off into the sunset.

The fact that you consider the Coaches, player and others as "the bad guys" disturbs me a little. I am sorry you have never built a repor with any of the leagues or players you service. You seem to have no emotional attachment and I am happy for you that integrity is fully intact. Sometimes my humanity overtakes my integrity. OK, there, I admit it.

Not me. My integrity is still intact, TYVM. I have no regrets. I know it was "wrong" by rule, but it was the "right" call at the time in the sitch. I have since moved on to bigger and better games. I don't know any of the players, and I call em like I see em.

I do not defend my call. I said in my 1st post "Iknow this was wrong..." Look down your nose all you want. The DT has long since forgotten the game, much less the missed bag.

There are a few people who will never forget ;)

• Like 1