Rite Temp Review

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4275 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Aaron from Honigs, who is a friend and seller of my locker room, sent me some Rite Temp Endurance Pads to test drive. I have read about them and I have had several MiLB guys tell me they are great.

I had a game in Palm Springs last night. At game time it was 105 degrees. Now it is usually dry heat but not that night. It was very humid. Now preparing for my game I took my 2 pads and placed them in my refrigerator for 2 hours. Rite Temp says they are ready in 45 minutes but I left them in longer. I packed the pads into a small cooler bag filled with bags of ice. 15 minutes before game time I put on my first pad. It fit very comfortably under my Riddell Power. I felt instantly "cooled" when putting it on. As for the game, it was hot...damn hot. THE PAD WORKS!!! I was sweating like a pig but the pads cooled me down. The first pad lasted about 5 innings. My Majestic shirt was equipped with a side zipper so removing the pad was very easy. As for the second pad....I didn't use it. I went the last 3.5 innings without it...and I felt great. A friend told me that the AFL umpires wore the Cooling vest on the bases and after the 6th inning they took it off. The after effects of removing the vest where pleasing. The umpires felt refreshed the rest of the game. I did as well. I think I will try the second pad on my next hot, sweaty game. They pads are worth the money. I would recommend them. They can be purchased at Honigs Whistle Stop. When you think officials gear...think Honigs! ( I just made that up...) If you want to see me sweating like a pig in my game last night click on the link below:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=WF3tbgQ6r0w

• Like 1

At least for me, as the charge goes out, the pad goes from being firm to being soft. When the charge goes totaly out on mine I start to notice it slipping a bit. That is why I want to put a velcro on it to hold it to my CP a little beter.

• Like 1

video doesn't come up.......and .... 27% humidity is HUMID ? LOL

Well Chris said it was 105 so a 27% humidity is a dew point of about 65*. Thats certainly noticeable for most people and if you were used to less than that it certainly would be. (and I agree its a normal summer level in the midwest and MI where you are and probably low for the gulf coast etc. I am not trying to turn this into a can-you-top-this thread)

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got to give my endurance pads a spin and let me say I am a believer! Chris' description fits mine well except I only got about an hour on one pad though mine were at room temp when I put them in my cooler. I'll try the fridge next time. I am also pretty warm blooded and I noticed the last warm game I worked I had a ton of heat radiating from under my CP.

Switching pads mid game was no hassle at all and looking at the used one, I could've gotten a little more out of it.

Between that, hydrating well beforehand and drinking a coconut water when I got to the field, I held up well through out the game.

The temp when I got back into my car at 7:45 was 89 with a humidity of 63%, making the heat index about 99. I forgot to check at game time what it was.

The only issue is the pad slipping when it loses its charge. I'll have to mess with Velcro to find something to keep them in place.

Mine are on the way I. Lord knows I've needed them through this heatwave. I've had at least 3 games where the heat had had a bad effect on me.

Tomorrow I have 2 showcase games at a local University. At least it is right by the water and we should have a breeze.

Could it be that they are colder when they are in the freezer and it takes them longer to get to the temp where they discharge?

Based on Rite Temp's instructions which indicate once the pads are "charged" they are charged 100%, it didnt make much sense to me either.