What would you have done?

johneng
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5508 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

As you may know the Phillies and Rays games was suspended in the 6th. My question is, in a regular season or postseason game were would you draw the line and go home.

For me first, if Toronto were to ever make it to the world series, it would be inside, but, if the rood were to remain open would probably stay for the whole thing until the 8th and we're down. Any other team, unless the rain was light I would leave at the 7th. It all depends how important the game is, what the score is, and do I have an umbrella.

Edited by johneng

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Orioles ever made it to the WS and the curse of Jeff Maier is broken. I would be there no matter what, hell I stay until the game is over when I get up to Camden Yards even if the O's are being killed in the regular season. It kills me to see some of the west coast teams where for first pitch the stadium is only half full, then in the 3rd or 4th inning the stadium gets as full as its going to get. Then by the 7th inning stretch its back to half.

A WS game or playoff game, I would be going with my son....and he goes for BP and leaves when the grounds grew is shoveling off the lines.....

For regular season games, since I have a PIRATES season ticket plan, and a job to go to the next morning, I usually wait until the rain gets heavy,(my seats are out in the open)...but usually never before the 7th....

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

As an Orioles fan I feel your pain, were in a rebuilding decade... again.

Dang Warren We have been rebuilding since they moved here from Washington! :HS O well we do have the Fort Worth Cats. :)

Allan

Man I live in those Southern California areas you are talking about. However please dont group me in with them. Im a Giants fan thank you very much!

All I can say is, have you ever driven in that traffic leaving Dodger Stadium. Interstate 5 is nuts and Highway 110 from downtown north to Pasadena was one of the FIRST highways EVER built in the US so to say its out dated would be the understatement of the century.

Let me just say that I have had to hold back my gag reflex and attend a game at the hated Chavez Ravine I have showed up early or in time for the first pitch and didnt leave until the end of the game (with some very few exceptions). My thoughts are, like hell if Im going to pay $20 to sit in the bleachers or $15 for the nosebleeds and leave early before I get my fix.

• 2 weeks later...

Man I live in those Southern California areas you are talking about. However please dont group me in with them. Im a Giants fan thank you very much!

That's right; he doesn't want to hear anything about your World Series titles since the Giants don't have one since coming to the West Coast.:HD::HD:

Sorry, I get to. I'm an A's fan.:wave:

If I had World Series tickets, I'd have to be dragged out on my ear to leave before the game was over. The only World Series game I've ever been to didn't even get going; Game 3 of the 89 Series. Scary crap for a 10 year old.........

Yeh yeh yeh. You know Ive been hearing that crap for the last 20 years. I was at my parents computer store getting ready to listen to Game 3 that year and it was scary as hell for me too at the age of 10. (I know I was 10 because we moved to the central valley at the end of that year and I played my first year of baseball the next year at the age of 11).

Imagine my issues Ive had. My best friend growing up, die-hard A's fan. My best man at my wedding, hard-core dodger fan... not only that but growing up in the bay area and now living down here in LA is tough man. Only saving grace is that Long Beach is Angel territory seeing as its only about 20 minutes (w/o traffic to "The Big A") and 45 minutes to Dodger Stadium.

• 3 weeks later...

April 14, 1984.

Some Navy buddies and myself had opening day tix at Fenway. Sox v. Tigers.

Rain. Cold. Fog. About 38 degrees.

Rained out. Fogged out. Chilled out.

We heard the announcement. Game canceled/rescheduled. :)

We sat there for as long as possible... cold, miserable, but happy to just be sitting in Fenway, staring at the Wall from the 1st base side (we had GREAT seats, too, and cheap back in those days, with thanks to US Navy Special Services)...

We sat for at least 1/2 hour, until the 3rd visit by the usher who by then was threatening to bodily haul us out with the help of Boston PD's finest... they said something about wanting to go home, they were cold too, etc... what did we care? We lived 2 hours away and had to drive all that way with that disappointment.

So we left, consoled ourselves at the Cask 'n Flagon with a few beers (back when it was a real bar, not what it is today), and headed back to the Submarine Base in Connecticut.

I've never even had an opportunity to see a opening day game since then. :D

Why would anyone, once a game has started, leave before the end, regardless of the weather? I just don't get that. :) If they're on the field, then I'm in my seat.

Edited by BrianC14

Ive only left a game early a hand full of times. The first time I can remember was the second half of a double header when the first game went 4 hrs and lasted 11 innings. It was just a really long day at the ballpark.

Other ones are blow outs when I go with friends that are rooting for the other team and sticking around would cause more pain than needed.