Spanish Auto-Ejection Triggers

ukce1861
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4072 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

So I had a tournament this weekend with several teams from South Florida and most of the players on those teams spoke spanish. One of the players and I had a small disagreement (in English) about the size of the strike zone as he walked back to the dugout on a called strike 3 for the third out. Our disagreement became a little more pronounced as he ran across the infield and screamed something at me in Spanish. At that point, I dumped him for arguing balls and strikes. No big deal, easy call, etc. However, I was curious if anyone had a list of EJ worthy spanish phrases.

If they choose to say something to you in Spanish then EJ automatically. They are obviously hiding something they do not want you to hear/comprehend.

I have run into this before and when I reply back in Spanish they get all apologetic.

• Like 3

If they choose to say something to you in Spanish then EJ automatically. They are obviously hiding something they do not want you to hear/comprehend.

I have run into this before and when I reply back in Spanish they get all apologetic.

Except for the savvy Hispanic kid that tells you "that was a great call ump" in Spanish and then you run him for it.

• Like 1

I was working a tournament in the Netherlands a few years ago. Their umpires are not, as a whole, terribly strong and they typically shy away from confrontation for fear of losing assignments.

I'm the plate umpire. Ground ball to the infield that a bobble turns into a close play. U1 calls the BR out, I'm trailing up the line. U1 turns to walk away and the BR turns and says something in Dutch in a nasty tone of voice at U1. I ran him.

The coach came out and asked me if I knew what the player said. "Nope, didn't need to either." The coach was incredulous that I'd eject a kid when not understanding what was said. I shrugged my shoulders. After the game one of the players told me what the kid said -- it was quite vulgar. Had I known, I probably would've dislocated my shoulder when ejecting him. :D

• Like 2

Except for the savvy Hispanic kid that tells you "that was a great call ump" in Spanish and then you run him for it.

Not likely to happen. But your right. A warning should come first.

I had one of the 3 million AAU 13 National Championship tourneys a few years ago and Puerto Rico was playing NC.

The game was highly contentious mainly on the part of PR. NC was giving them the best fight they had the whole tournament. So naturally that means it is time to start yelling at the umpires. One coach came to the edge of the dugout and was screaming at me in Spanish at the top of his lungs I felt like I was Lucy getting hollered at by Ricky.

I yelled over, "if your're going to say something say it in English." That put an end to it for the most part other than a snipe every once in a while.

This game had 2 protests (they were handled instantly by the TD) my calls were upheld both times.

1. Lefty batter bunts and trips on the lip of the cutout in foul territory as he's getting up (still in foul territory) the ball hits him in the head. I called foul ball. PR wanted an out.
  2. NC hit a Grand Slam. The players from the bench lined up the 3rd base line giving low 5s. PR wanted an out for some reason.

PR still won the game.

I used to work the spanish version of MSBL in Tulsa, OK and because I have that spanish look to me, I was getting asked all the time if I could speak spanish. My reply was I know enough to tell when I'm being cussed. Was only cussed at one time by a spectator and the players took care of it before I had a chance.

I had a Spanish Gentleman call me the "n" word word during a game. I ran him, the whole team went nuts, they made all kinds of excuses for it being ok to use that word.

excuse my ignorance.... The "N" word? You ran a guy for calling you a nincompoop?

I don't have a story about ejecting someone for using Spanish on me, but this thread reminds me of the following.

A few weeks ago I did a showcase "game" for HS players from a program based in south Florida. They were touring colleges in the southeast and being watched by college scouts. I was PU. The game meant nothing, other than being a showcase. The "rules" were a bit peculiar. Nine innings, 7 batters per half-inning, the number of outs was always 1, so the defense could be seen turning double plays, if possible. After 6 batters, one of the coaches would yell out "last batter." Other than that, I was expected to call balls and strikes as normal, etc., etc.

There were maybe half a dozen spectators. At least three were college coaches (the field was at a D1 university). No parents, or other crazies, of course.

Every one of the players was Hispanic.

Now, I know the game itself meant nothing, and the players were on their best behavior since they were being watched. But, nevertheless, this was the most fun I ever had umpiring a game, even if it was just a "practice." The play was at a very high level for HS players. The players interacted well with each other (the two "teams" traveled together on this tour), and with me. The catchers made a point of introducing themselves to me. Even though the scouts could not possibly have heard all we said, the catcher's conversed with me throughout the game telling me about their trip, asking me about my history, etc. I asked one catcher if he liked his All-Star mask, and that got us into a conversation about equipment. I even hefted his mask before warmup pitches, one inning.

Every three innings the catcher's changed. Every inning the pitchers changed.

Only two times did anyone speak Spanish. Once a catcher said, "Muy bueno," to a pitcher after a pitch. Another time, a catcher and a batter exchanged two sentences during an at bat. Didn't seem too exciting, whatever it was they said.

After the game, many players shook my hand on the field, and I wished them all luck. I was taking off my equipment back at my car, and their bus was nearby. A few other players came over and shook my hand, one said he umpires LL back home. None of these "back at the bus" exchanges were witnessed by scouts, so they seemed genuine.

I certainly had no opportunity to EJ anyone for anything said in English...or Spanish! This has been my only experience umpiring with players that spoke another language during the game.

I call mexican men's league games. It's hilarious. They chatter and jabber away at each other THE WHOLE GAME. I heard 1 catcher tell the batter something about his uniform makes him look gay as I rang him up. Too funny. I speak bro/ken texmex and understand very little but what I do get is hilarious.

I call mexican men's league games. It's hilarious. They chatter and jabber away at each other THE WHOLE GAME. I heard 1 catcher tell the batter something about his uniform makes him look gay as I rang him up. Too funny. I speak bro/ken texmex and understand very little but what I do get is hilarious.

Hmm...maybe this constant talking and jabbering is a cultural thing. That may also explain why the catchers kept up a constant --- pleasant --- conversation with me. They were also talking to the batters.

I don't see/hear that during gringo games.

Hmm...maybe this constant talking and jabbering is a cultural thing. That may also explain why the catchers kept up a constant --- pleasant --- conversation with me. They were also talking to the batters.

yes it's cultural

yes it's cultural. The Mexican people are a very family oriented, hard working, loving, generous culture. Y mi gusta latinas. Mui bonita!

Its what we call Telemundo Babes!

• Like 1

Here is the correct response.

Signal time and walk to where you are facing the offending team or dugout then say.

Time! Weiß jemand hier SPEEK Spanisch? Ich habe nur SPEEK Deutsch und Englisch und mein Englisch ist nicht sehr gut !

Then watch all the dumb faces !

Works every time for me.

Time! Does anybody here speek Spanish ? I only speek German and English and my English is not very good

• 3 weeks later...

words to look out for: from my upbringing in South TX. hehe

puto - male prostitute

hoto - f*gg*t

fondio - D*ck

verga- D*ck

penocha - P*ssy

culero- slang for '*ssf*cker'

cabron- bastard

anything preceded by 'pinche' usually is bad also. - Damned, or GDamned

• 2 weeks later...

but they are not gonna tell you that in a nice tone...I had a very big deal with 2 DI school on a conference weekend.. it was so bad we forfeited the 3rd game in the top of the 8th inning... it all started with players and coaches speaking Spanish.. i learned anything said in Spanish towards the umpires get a warning.. if it comes from the dugout.. they get a Bench jockeying warning...you can tell if the players is talking nice ( and very seldom will they talk bad in a nice tone).. if you cant understand give them a warning..