batter's responsibility, when r3 stealing home

pcon258
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4279 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I know that when stealing any other base (2, 3), the batter is best off just staying in the batter's box and the catcher can just push them out of the way. but if there's a right handed batter and the runner on third is coming home, does he have an obligation to move? Most times it would only hurt his teammate, so itd be fine, but what if he unintentionally stops the catcher from making a tag? Should the batter have moved out of the way?

Each sitch has its own nuances. Timing has alot to do with it. The RHB doesn't always have time to move, and we can't expect him to vanish. He should try to not be part of the play. Fed rule 7-5-d "failing to make a reasonable effort to vacate a congested area when there is a throw to HP and there is time for the batter to move away." In the OP, it's a pitch, or a throw?....... if you DO rule BI - "Penalty: when there are 2 outs, the batter is out. If less than 2 outs......... If the runner is tagged out the out stands, ball remains live, and INT is ignored. Otherwise, the ball is dead and the runner called out."

I know that when stealing any other base (2, 3), the batter is best off just staying in the batter's box and the catcher can just push them out of the way. but if there's a right handed batter and the runner on third is coming home, does he have an obligation to move? Most times it would only hurt his teammate, so itd be fine, but what if he unintentionally stops the catcher from making a tag? Should the batter have moved out of the way?

If it's a pitch the batter can just stand there because he has a right to attempt to hit the pitch - like on a squeeze for example - or lay off if he chooses. He has ZERO oblightion to make the catcher's job easier.

If the pitcher legally disengages it becomes a throw and then he needs to not interfere - given he has time to not interfere.

• Like 2

well the scenario that i was thinking was a wild pitch that goes over f2's head and f1 needs to come and cover at the plate. if there's a short backstop, theres not really anywhere the batter can go without potentially being in the way. do we just need to judge whether he made an effort to get out of the way?

That's a whole different thing. Advancing on a WP/PB is not thought of as stealing so we were not envisioning this.

On a WP/PB the batter will need to make a reasonable effort to avoid interfering. There's always a place he could go - just consider if he had time.

Just judge that he tried to clear or not. Sometimes the ball does weird things off the backstop and he can't be responsible for that. If he just stands there in the box then he is very likely getting banged.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a situation where the runner was stealing third on a WP. Batter backed out after the pitch which was inside and nearly hit him. Catcher scurried back and threw to third with a very quick look. Throw hit batter right in the helmet. DC wanted interference. I had nothing as the batter did nothing out of the ordinary in backing out of the box after the WP. Catchers quick throw without looking is what caused the throw to hit the batter. Hope I called it right.

I had a situation where the runner was stealing third on a WP. Batter backed out after the pitch which was inside and nearly hit him. Catcher scurried back and threw to third with a very quick look. Throw hit batter right in the helmet. DC wanted interference. I had nothing as the batter did nothing out of the ordinary in backing out of the box after the WP. Catchers quick throw without looking is what caused the throw to hit the batter. Hope I called it right.

Yep