Interesting article

mstaylor
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5651 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats the alternative?

Not that I'm a big fan of He-who-shall-not-be-named or Buck but,"Would we rather listen to Joe Morgan and Jon Miller"? Oh pa-lease... In most cases I refuse to watch ESPN "Baseball Tonight" because of Joe Morgans opinionated and biased remarks... and I can really expand on some of his ideas and remarks but won't...

Baseball is really a game where the casual observer can enjoy at ones own pace. Broadcasting a baseball game has got to be a tough job because you have to fill in a lot of dead time with anecdotal comments that may or may not be relavent. It's all according to who is listening and how "into the game" one really is...

Vin Scully does it well alone......

Ernie Harwell.......one of the best.....

Jon Miller is the best of the set out there now.....

In these days of corporate-type voices, I wonder if any of the old greats could even be hired anymore.....

Buck/morgan/He-who-shall-not-be-named....is that really the best that can be found.....??

Jon Miller is good as there is out there. The problem is I can't think of a single ex-player who seems to have a clue. If they would simply talk baseball from the player's side or the game's perspective, I could live with a lot. When they go into umpire calls, mechanics and rule interpretations, I have a fit. They don't have a clue, don't know they don't but continue to insist they are right.

Before his trouble with ESPN, Harold Reynolds was being touted as the baseball analyst of choice.....but as he so aptly prooved at the LLWS he was a mess as well....

I like Kruk........not sure he'd want the gig...but he wouldnt "BS" his way through it.....

I have found Jim Kaat to be very good as an analyst on the Yankee games. He doesn't try to talk over his head and admits that he is giving a players perspective, unless he quotes specific umpire resources.

Unfortunately, Kaat decided he likes golf more than broadcasting and has retired to the links.