Was Ejection Justified?

Guest Collin
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1617 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest Collin

Behind the plate for a 14u game. Pitcher starts to pitch, batter steps out, pitcher doesn't throw. Base ump calls a balk, I overturn because of weak interference by the batter. Coach starts to yell that was a balk 6 or 7 times. I issue a warning. After the inning, he asks for an explanation. I explain weak interference, he starts laughing at me and repeats 3 or 4 times you need to know the rules to be a real ump so I tossed him. The coaches complained to the governing league I ejected him too quick. Just looking to see what more experienced umps(i'm 18th, my 4th season) would have done. Thanks.

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

19 answers to this question

No matter how good or bad the call is, if a coach says "you have to learn the rules if you want to be a 'real umpire'" you have to toss him. That's definately personal. In this case, you had the right call but wrong reason. Join up here and get reading. If you get your terms right, you'll get less flack from RATs like this guy.

+1

Umpires do more harm to kids' games by failing to eject then they do by tossing. Watched a youth game where a coach got tossed in the 5th . . . only thing I didn't understand was why he was tossed the first two times he came unglued.

What is weak interference?

Don't have my book with me but it says the batter stepping out can not cause a pitcher to balk.

Sounds like you made the correct call. But don't make up terms.

Good ejection.

I thought I saw it somewhere before, but. I did explain it. In the future I'll avoid the term. Thanks for advice.

Maybe there is such a term I just haven't heard it.

But still keep your explanations short. Like "coach a batter can't cause a balk"

There is a term, weak interference, but it has nothing to do with this situation. The rules are very clear that if the batter steps out and the pitcher stops, it's nothing, reset.

Weak interference is a backswing term. The batter hits the catcher on the backswing, ball is dead and runners return, no out.

The ejection was a good one. You got the call right for the wrong reason, but that doesn't give the coach free rein to get personal. Explain to the coach that this is not a balk and that balk is a term reserved for umpires. Just curious, what did your warning consist of?

Guest Guest

Well he had already been digging into the base umpire for a close call at second. He had really been mouthy, so after continously saying come on blue thats a balk I issued a warning that I will not tolerate any more arguments, but that i would explain the rule after the inning.

I would tell him that balk is reserved for the umpires and you don't want hear it anymore. Any retort is met with a hand up and a "that's enough." Many will say it is one warning too many but to me shutting the balk conversation down is isolated, further discussion is not.

Fed rules clearly state no balk. A strike is to be added to the count if the pitcher stops. If F1 delivers a legal pitch, a strike is to be called regardless of location. So you get 2 strikes on 1 pitch. If it's K3, he's out.

Only if the batter steps all the way out of the box and even then theres a case that contradicts this and your picking up the direty end of the stick to call it.

Just reset like in all other codes.

very true. I've never called it. Can you imagine how out of control THAT could get?

What rule set does 14u use? Is this the same all over the country. So, the only set that does not use this is NF although you can reset for them also to stay away from dirty end of the stick?

Sometimes this is a specific tactic used by the batter or taught by the coach to try and draw the balk, and then argue when they do not get it. That might be why the rule was put in for a reset, just to eliminate this tactic and get a cheap balk.

And he needs to try and possibly quit coaching this tactic to be a real coach. So he is going to scream balk 6 or 7 times and then laugh in your face and then go cry to the governing body. Typical cheap shot artist who goes and cries to mommy.

Hopefully the governing board will have the intestinal fortitude to deny this cheap shot artist's whining and crying. Maybe they can put him back in his crib with a pacifier.

Nice EJ.

OBR rules (real baseball) The situation described is nothing. From the PBUC Manual, "If after the pitcher starts his windup or comes to a set position with a runner on, he does not go through with his pitch because the batter has stepped out of the box, it shall not be called a balk. Both the pitcher and batter have violated a rule, and the umpire shall call time and both the bater and the picher will start from 'scratch".

As for coach arguing it's a balk, the conversation aught to go a little like this

Coach That's a balk

Ump: (a look)

Coach That's a balk

Ump: That's enough coach, there was no balk

Coach That's a balk

Ump: Buh-Bye

Letting a coach argue that long is unnecessary and counter productive and only serves to incite others. Allowing him to continue with laughing at you and repeating basicly that you are an incompitent fool who doesn't know the rules of baseball is right out. Waaaaay too much rope in my opinion, but that's how I handle it. Coaches learn fast who they can and can't push around on a field. I think you have just marked yourself as a "can be pushed", expect trouble from this guy in the future.

Thanks for the rule quote.

And the next time he sees this coach and the first thing out of this cheapshot artist's mouth is. So, did you find out I was right or did you go look it up. Boom, see ya. You need to learn not bring up history to be a real coach ( I would not use that line and just eject, although I would be thinking it). Lets see what the governing board does then.

Unfortunately, in some areas and with some assignors and governing boards where coaches rule, umpires are expected to take this abuse or have their schedules pulled or reduced. Be glad if your assignor or governing boards do not put up with this type of abuse. Many areas with a lot of baseball also have other associations close enough so that if you are in an association that does not back their umpires, the umpire can move to another association close by that does back their umpires. Never umpiring again could be a tough choice in some areas and I feel for those that are in such areas where coaches rule. And this does not just occur in baseball from reading around the internet.

No matter how good or bad the call is, if a coach says "you have to learn the rules if you want to be a 'real umpire'" you have to toss him. That's definately personal. In this case, you had the right call but wrong reason. Join up here and get reading. If you get your terms right, you'll get less flack from RATs like this guy.

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1617 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.