After 114 games in my career, 68 behind the plate...

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4323 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

...I finally own a pair of plate shoes.

Congrats, did you escape w/o injury?

What pair did you decide on for your first?

Only got nailed bad once doing an 18U game. I've done mostly 12 and under despite taking foul balls and errant pitches to the feet in those games, my Nike Air Monarch III's provided adequate protection. Those things are padded. Got me some of these though to protect my toes now.

Now count your blessings you were able to work that many games without getting injured without plate shoes.

You may also want to consider buying a lottery ticket with your luck.

3700 + games. Over 2100 + behind plate. Number of games worked behind plate without plate shoes: ZERO

Here is a list of plate shoes owned over the years (in order):

Riddell low tops

Vans plate shoes (also had Vans base shoes...cool or what?)

XS Xclusive Shoe low

+POS low top (2 pairs over the years)

Spot-Built Hard Toe High tops (ouch to the toes, but never caught a bad one so okay)

Reebok low cut plate shoes (2009 to present)

No, unfortunately not,and I've googled it before, trying to find some like them, with no success. They were both black w/white V Vans logo on both sides too. Didn't think they were anything special at the time, other than the cool factor.

I worked my 1st 10 years without plate shoes. Never once took a shot. I wear them now for the professional look. I still have yet to take a hit . Luck? Maybe..... I like to think of it as Kharma. I love and respect the game, so she takes care of me :)

• Like 1

I worked my 1st 10 years without plate shoes. Never once took a shot. I wear them now for the professional look. I still have yet to take a hit . Luck? Maybe..... I like to think of it as Kharma. I love and respect the game, so she takes care of me :)

If you are going to depend on Karma, you better learn to spell her correctly.:)

...I finally own a pair of plate shoes.

Money spent on protective gear is never wasted........

and the impression of being under equiped is the same as being under dressed....

My son plays MSBL after 4 yrs as an NCAA baseball player and one as a NCAA grad asst coach....I do the book for his team.....the team was standing around the cage when the umpires came on the field....The plate umpire had our state patch on his sleeve....

One of the players remarked that they had never seen that plate guy before....and asked son if he had.....and my son remarked no, and Im concerned....

his reasons why....

Dickies grey work pants

No Plate shoes

Red t-shirt under HS navy jersey (state no-no)

No shin guards

plastic ball bag.....

he said, he looks like a hobo...........lets hope Im wrong,.........( but you know he wasnt......)