Reebok's Zig Plate & Base Shoe

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4033 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

No offense to anyone who likes, or wears the black and white Zigs, but those have to be the most hideous shoes I have ever seen. Looks like someone murdered a zebra to make shoes from....

+1

No offense to anyone who likes, or wears the black and white Zigs, but those have to be the most hideous shoes I have ever seen. Looks like someone murdered a zebra to make shoes from....

+1

I felt the same way until I started wearing them, they are just too comfy.

You should see the conversation going on Facebook is the group Chris and I are part of thanks to his photo. CRAZY! That being said. I liked what Chris did with his pair. I was thinking about getting a pair of B/W Reeboks. However, I was warned that the amount of white could be "frowned upon" by the local college unit that I want to get into as well as the high school unit associated with said college unit.

Got a chance to see these up close and personal this weekend at the SEMUC.  Unfortunately, Jim didn't have my size to try on.

Regardless, I'd like to point out a few things:

1) As discussed, they do NOT look as aggressive in person, however, IMO, too much white, but not necessarily the color, but the Zig in white, along w/ the logo, and along w/ heal and metplate lettering.

2) The all black shoes are pretty sharp.   Hard to determine if the logo has a modify-able material so if you wanted to just make the logo white, you could.

3) THEY ARE very light!

That's only because you are an old school 90 year old umpire! lol

Just bought a pair of the base shoes after 4 knee operation last one with a new acl I was looking for extra cushion and light wieght feel,so far jsut wearing them around to break in they feel great. Did get black on white which I think looks sharper than all black and will most likely get the same combo in plate. Trying to keep a black shine on plate is hard also and the all black base not much better. Though State Assc. mandates all black for the state tourny's but maybe they will look at the calender and see it is 2013.

I rolled these out on Monday night, if you need a new pair of plate shoes you owe it to yourself to give these a try.  The protection is as good as the old Reeboks, and they are light.  Was very easy to run in these so much so that for a minute I thought I might have forgotten plate shoes at all.

I rolled these out on Monday night, if you need a new pair of plate shoes you owe it to yourself to give these a try.  The protection is as good as the old Reeboks, and they are light.  Was very easy to run in these so much so that for a minute I thought I might have forgotten plate shoes at all.

..........did you take a shot?

..........did you take a shot?

-------------------------------

I have to agree on how light and comfortable these are. EXTREMELY flexible, cushioned with a soft feel around the foot. No game action yet, but I've done some cage work with HS pitching and took one off the toe and another off of the metacarsal.  Didn't feel a thing. Honestly, I think they're the most comfortable shoes I've worn of any type/style in a long time.

I wore my Zig base shoes for the first time this last weekend.  They are on the narrow side.  I was not real happy with them after the first game, a little disappointed actually.  But during the second game they started to feel better, it must have taken them a little bit to get them broken in.  By the end of the third game that I wore them, they really started to feel good.  I am not looking forward to wearing them again!  

I had not worn them at all prior to the first game.  I took them out of the box, re-laced them, and put them into my equipment bag for the game.  

Though State Assc. mandates all black for the state tourny's but maybe they will look at the calender and see it is 2013.

Don't count on it. How long did it take them to OK red/white piping on a jacket? 

Kept my zig base shoes on for hours after a clinic Saturday.  Never occurred to me that I was wearing base shoes and not just typical tennis shoes. Definitely comfortable once you break them in.  

Kept my zig base shoes on for hours after a clinic Saturday.  Never occurred to me that I was wearing base shoes and not just typical tennis shoes. Definitely comfortable once you break them in.  

100% agree Chavez. Wore mine Saturday on wet field. Slipping issues did not reoccur. Must've been just one of those things that day. I love my zigs. Probably gonna get some solid black though. The b/w aren't hard to clean, just require more cleaning.

100% agree Chavez. Wore mine Saturday on wet field. Slipping issues did not reoccur. Must've been just one of those things that day. I love my zigs. Probably gonna get some solid black though. The b/w aren't hard to clean, just require more cleaning.

I think if you can find a small baby bottle brush it will make them much easier. I found a large one that I'm gonna cut down and make shorter and smaller.

Ive been using a tooth brush and you can get most of the outside just not the hard to reach spots.

i would love the black and white ones if the zig sole was black. I really like the reebox check in white. Gives it a real sharp look. Do you think that a paint pen would be ok on the rubber sole? i would be afraid it would flake off when the show bends as you walk and run.

Don't do it. Looks smitty.

i would love the black and white ones if the zig sole was black. I really like the reebox check in white. Gives it a real sharp look. Do you think that a paint pen would be ok on the rubber sole? i would be afraid it would flake off when the show bends as you walk and run.

WHAT???

Why don't you just get the all black ones and modify the stripe?!?   MUCH more feasible!!

• 1 month later...

I've used for the last four years Armor All tire shine foam. Because tires are made of rubber just like the soles of our shoes. Wash your shoes off with your hose if dirt or clay are caked on or don't if they're just dusty and apply. It works great. Especially getting red clay back to white again. I've heard some complaints that it attracts dirt but let's face it, after an inning or two your shoes are more than likely dirty anyway no matter what you're using.

I just use a scrub brush and dish washing detergent along with the sprayer in the kitchen sink. Works great.

• Like 1