Pro School

kcfan102
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4923 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's official. I leave January 3rd for pro school. My flight lands at 3:25 EST. I am going to Jim Evans Academy. I'm super pumped because around that time, I start to go through some pretty nasty baseball withdraws.

Anybody else going to Evans? Or pro school?

I think Im going, depending on these college clinics Im going to...but right now I'm about 80% going to Jim's.

Thanks for all of the support, guys.

This fall has been extremely busy. My goal going in was $1500 to help offset the amount I'll have to borrow. I'm on pace to make $2200 or $2300 so that will make things a lot easier on me. My assignor has been very generous and letting me work a lot.

I filled out all of my online paper work and I made the decision to go as "strictly amateur" so even if I place on the top 25 or however many PBUC wants, I won't go.

I am in the middle of getting my education degree from UMKC and that's something I want to see through. In fact, it's this light Spring semester that will allow me to go. I'll be enrolled as a full time student at UMKC while in Florida by taking online classes. I have a base of friends and an amazing family that's supported me in my decision. I also have the best girlfriend a person could ever ask for. I'm not interested in leaving all that behind and maybe seeing my loved ones a few times out on the road; or not at all. Quite simply, I'm not interested in Baseball's Narrowest Door.

This fall, though, I am going to try to get evaluated by a college assignor and maybe, just maybe I could have some college games when I get back from Florida. I would certainly like the climb that latter as well as teach local umpires. In three years or less, I could have the job as UIC in our local league. Having that title I plan on starting an association.

I think JEAPU will give the plenty of tools to peruse the college level as well as passing as much information I learn in Kissimee to those who want to learn. Even though I'm not an aspiring professional, I'm going to compete as hard as I can.

And Mazz, if you are going, let me know. We could get together during our Sunday break. But I'm only 20 so I can't share an alcoholic drink, but maybe some chocolate milk :clap:

Edited by kcfan102

Congrats and good luck to those of you who are going! I'm really considering going to pro school January 3rd as well, just not official. Out of curiosity those of you who are going are you guys married? If so how does the spouse take it? Thanks in advance!

Edited by sgvump

Thanks for all of the support, guys.

This fall has been extremely busy. My goal going in was $1500 to help offset the amount I'll have to borrow. I'm on pace to make $2200 or $2300 so that will make things a lot easier on me. My assignor has been very generous and letting me work a lot.

I filled out all of my online paper work and I made the decision to go as "strictly amateur" so even if I place on the top 25 or however many PBUC wants, I won't go.

I am in the middle of getting my education degree from UMKC and that's something I want to see through. In fact, it's this light Spring semester that will allow me to go. I'll be enrolled as a full time student at UMKC while in Florida by taking online classes. I have a base of friends and an amazing family that's supported me in my decision. I also have the best girlfriend a person could ever ask for. I'm not interested in leaving all that behind and maybe seeing my loved ones a few times out on the road; or not at all. Quite simply, I'm not interested in Baseball's Narrowest Door.

This fall, though, I am going to try to get evaluated by a college assignor and maybe, just maybe I could have some college games when I get back from Florida. I would certainly like the climb that latter as well as teach local umpires. In three years or less, I could have the job as UIC in our local league. Having that title I plan on starting an association.

I think JEAPU will give the plenty of tools to peruse the college level as well as passing as much information I learn in Kissimee to those who want to learn. Even though I'm not an aspiring professional, I'm going to compete as hard as I can.

And Mazz, if you are going, let me know. We could get together during our Sunday break. But I'm only 20 so I can't share an alcoholic drink, but maybe some chocolate milk :clap:

your in KC.. I know almost all of the college assignors out there. Pm I will call you and we can talk. the College scene is not bad in KC.. NAIA is alot around there.

Congrats and good luck to those of you who are going! I'm really considering going to pro school January 3rd as well, just not official. Out of curiosity those of you who are going are you guys married? If so how does the spouse take it? Thanks in advance!

I'm married and have 4 kids.. im also 35.. I will try to go to PBUC.. if I make it..LOL my goal is DI.. I have already gotten some DI stuff but it seems more and more that you need a pro school... My wife is in the Military so I move every 3 yrs.. also easier for me to find work...LOL

Thanks for the info! I'm 22, and also have been considering going to pro scool for a few years, just have never had the funds. I'm trying to save my pennies now!:shakehead: By the way mazzamouth, I saw some cage work videos on youtube is that you behind th plate?

sgv: got to be him. He's got a ton of experience, and I don't see how he'd post someone else working the plate besides him, unless of course he was one of instructors, but I doubt it, ...2 videos posted of plate work, w/ the same guy...got to be him. SOLID stuff for sure!:clap:

Brandon, congrats!!! Go for it, and have fun! :D

Thanks for the info! I'm 22, and also have been considering going to pro scool for a few years, just have never had the funds. I'm trying to save my pennies now!B) By the way mazzamouth, I saw some cage work videos on youtube is that you behind th plate?

there are some of me out there...LOL

this is one of them.. that is Perry Costello in there who worked the CWS.

this was the last day and we were having fun.. But I was moving to move ( wiggling, and i was set up high, my catcher was lower than normal).. but look and tell me what I was doing wrong.

this one is the 1st day.. I was way more serious here...

Edited by mazzamouth

In the serious of the two, on several of the pitches you are way late coming set. I realize it can be tough setting from a pitching machine but you are dropping and then ball is coming in frame. I can't tell if you are touching the catcher or just reaching out. I never have liked the look of reaching out and the actual touching even less. There are a ton of very good guys that do it, just my choice.

I hate pitching machines for this very reason.

It's not so much the pitching machine as it is the idiot feeding it.

When working in a cage with a machine, there are two very important phrases. "On the rubber." and "Set." These phrases should come from the guy feeding the machine.

"On the rubber" means you step into the slot in a ready position. "Set" means that the pitcher is set and that is the cue for the PU to lock in at that point. Once the PU is locked in, then the machine can be fed.

If the machine is fed prior to the PU being locked in, we like to call that "f*****g the ump."

Since instruction was being given and mental evaluations made, I would have stuffed a ball's bag worth of baseballs down the idiots throat if he did not do what he should be doing.

It's not so much the pitching machine as it is the idiot feeding it.

When working in a cage with a machine, there are two very important phrases. "On the rubber." and "Set." These phrases should come from the guy feeding the machine.

"On the rubber" means you step into the slot in a ready position. "Set" means that the pitcher is set and that is the cue for the PU to lock in at that point. Once the PU is locked in, then the machine can be fed.

If the machine is fed prior to the PU being locked in, we like to call that "f*****g the ump."

Since instruction was being given and mental evaluations made, I would have stuffed a ball's bag worth of baseballs down the idiots throat if he did not do what he should be doing.

Yes this is what was happening.. but it is not a big deal as I know when I get set in real life.. I finally got to work a real college scrimmage last sun.. man it felt nice to be back out there again.