Cooling Device

JaxRolo
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4004 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I'm going to buy the cooler and 2 packs (level 3), I really need it for these up coming weekend tournaments down here.

It's getting to be quite the scorcher in the south. I bet these would be perfect for football season at the end of the summer / beginning of fall as well.

If anyone figures it out, let us know.

I haven't figured out how to cool down behind the plate short of pouring ice water down my undershirt.

I tried an evap vest - doesn't work because the water must evap to stay cool and it can't evap under the CP.

I tried frog toggs - same problem.

I tried the rite-temp cap cooler which MIGHT keep the cap from getting too hot, but certainly does NOT offer any cooling help.

I tried an instant cold pack in my shirt which worked great . . . for 10 minutes.

I looked into cool-shirt systems like this - but they require an external source http://www.ebay.com/...8921#vi-content

Ice Tee probably doesn't stay cool very long http://www.theicetee.com/product-info/

Somebody figure it out!

Stephen have you tried the RiteTemp pads inside the chest protector? I'm picking up a set of those for summer ball!

+1

I have these and from May-September I will not step onto the field with out them. They come in sets of two. I can usualy make it through a 7 inn game with one, but anything over 2 hours or so, i will change it out in between innings with the second one.

1900d0fb.jpg

dffb5bd6.jpg

Last monday we had a coach go to the hospital with possible heat exhaustion. My wife was at that game and she's the one that actually told me about it and basically ordered me to order these pads. I just placed my order with Ump Attire (snuck a shirt in too).

Fittske, do you have the second one in a cooler somewhere near the field?

I have the endurance vest and the performance pads. I won't step on a field without them if the temp is over 80.

I wouldn't say they cool you down, but they prevent you from overheating.

They're not going to feel like ice packs...so be prepared for that. These are the things the soldiers wear under their combat gear in the desert. I've talked to Rite-Temp on the phone about these and the conversation lasted almost an hour, but worth it.

Fittske, do you have the second one in a cooler somewhere near the field?

Yes I have a small "soft" cooler stored in DBT that contains ice and a fully charged rite-temp pack. When the pack in use loses its charge, I swap them out between innings. If for some reason the game goes longer than expected, the uncharged pack will recharge in the ice bag in about 15 min.

20120203_083146.jpg

Oh By the way this is my....

:a500posts:

• Like 1

I tried the rite-temp insert for caps and I wasn't impressed. Seemed to lose effectiveness after 15-20 minutes.

I don't care about cost if it works. I will try them.

The cap coolers are a waste of time, but the chest protector packs work as advertised. They are not cold packs but they work to help circulate cooled blood through your body helping to keep your body temp down in hot conditions.

Ok guys.

You can spend all the money you want on these things and nothing is going to work for the length of time your behind the plate.

To remain cool and not become over heated there is a simple rule to follow.

Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate.

You must be drinking water, water and more water during the hot months.

Also the best thing to cool down is to poor water down your back, your front and over your head on real hot days.

Remember it is the evaporation of sweat or water from your skin that actually cools you down.

If your that hot and your not sweating you better pack yourself in ice and head to the emergency room.

Semper hydration is key but in humid climates, it is much harder for the body to effectively cool itself down by evaporation alone. Couple that with a hardshell chest protector trapping heat against the body and I'll take any help I can get.

I got some of the Rite Temp endurance pads from Ump-Attire a couple of weeks ago and they have been great. I thought about the vest, but went pads instead. One pad has made it through every game so far. The other one has been nearby, but I have not needed to switch. I will use them all summer long.

The cap cooler is pretty worthless. It feels funny in the cap and does not really make the difference that the chest ones do.

Mine pads slip a little, so I might try some stick on velcro. First I will sinch my CP a little tighter.

I have a small cooler that I fill with face-cloths that I soak & freeze the night before. The cooler has a hook & is small enough that I can hang it on the backstop. In between innings, I will take out a cloth and apply it to my neck & head. One cloth can last a couple of innings, so I might have 4 or 5 in my cooler. It's very effective, along with plenty of internal hydration.

Exactly, and you get the cooling on your back as well. I've also worn the vest on the bases.

Ok, I thought I was overthinking it, but obviously not. I know the pads are good because you get 2 and you can be charging one while one is being used ....but ....