Should have Ejected coach

dl1340
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4325 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Had a 11-12u game last friday night. I have the plate. R3 gets in a rundown. I come down line to get in position, BU coming over to third, Play ends up near third base, runner clearly goes out of baseline to avoid tag. BU calls him safe, tells coach runner has 3 feet on either side of baseline. Runner was about 5-6 off baseline. Coach goes apes@@@t. BU gets in discussion with him. BU made call, didn't ask for help. Coach didn't ask him to ask for help. Should I have went down and had discussion with BU and tell him what I saw. He made call and didn't ask what I saw, so I didn't want to over step him. This is where coach should have been dumped. In between innings, BU is walking accross field. Head coach get a clipboard and tells BU, clipboard is a foot blue. He then proceeds to start measuring out three feet with clipboard. BU tells him that is enough. BU walks over, I tell him he should have dumped him as soon as he put the clipboard on the ground. Should I have done anything different

Had a 11-12u game last friday night. I have the plate. R3 gets in a rundown. I come down line to get in position, BU coming over to third, Play ends up near third base, runner clearly goes out of baseline to avoid tag. BU calls him safe, tells coach runner has 3 feet on either side of baseline. Runner was about 5-6 off baseline. Coach goes apes@@@t. BU gets in discussion with him. BU made call, didn't ask for help. Coach didn't ask him to ask for help. Should I have went down and had discussion with BU and tell him what I saw. He made call and didn't ask what I saw, so I didn't want to over step him. This is where coach should have been dumped. In between innings, BU is walking accross field. Head coach get a clipboard and tells BU, clipboard is a foot blue. He then proceeds to start measuring out three feet with clipboard. BU tells him that is enough. BU walks over, I tell him he should have dumped him as soon as he put the clipboard on the ground. Should I have done anything different

I'm unclear on this: Did the runner actually go 5 to 6 feet away from the path he was running on to avoid the tag? He is allowed 3 feet (one full yard) from his position when the tag is applied, so how did he get 5 or 6 feet from the tag without running away from the fielder? I am having trouble picturing this. If he was truly 5 or 6 feet from the point the tag was attempted, wouldn't it have been obvious that he was too far from the tag?

Only suggestion I have is you should have punted his a$$ to the parking lot with the clipboard in hand. Don't wait for your partner next time on the EJ.

• Like 1

Ask him if you can see the clipboard for a second, as if your interested. Then, once you have it, calmly take out your pen and write your gone on it and hand it back to him.

I like it but I recommend "you're" :P

SanDiegoSteve, the runner did go way out of the baseline. My partner, BU made the call and told coach he had 3 feet out of the baseline. The play was on his end of the base on the rundown, he made the call. The coaches jumped on him. He didn't ask for help, they didn't ask him to come to me for my thoughts on the play. I had him out of the baseline but didn't want to overstep the BU since he made the call Coach addressed the BU with the clipboard stituation as stated above, I was just asking others thought if I should have stepped up and overuled BU or EJ coach for trying to show him up

In my little world (and it really is a sadly small one *sigh*), ANY attempt by anyone to demonstrate is an automatic trip to the parking lot. I have become a lot more patient the last year or two, but that is a non negotiable. Both umpires have the same authority to eject a coach or player, if your partner lacks the sack or the just cause to do so, then dump him yourself if you think that is an ejectable offense.

Last year we had a young guy working with a guy that had just come back from Evans. The Evans grad was on the bases, the PU rung a batter up, then looked down at his indicator. The batter drew a line on the PU but he didn't see it, the BU dumped him.

• Like 2