Umpire collides with runner

jjskitours
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4308 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

If an umpire runs into runner and knocks him over, I think (while you may look really dumb) you have nothing and play on.

Anyone have something different for this type of situation?

Yep, it's unfortunate, but there's no rule to support anything other than keep playing and see what happens. I've seen umpires try to make up rules and place runners...but that is bad umpiring.

If an umpire runs into runner and knocks him over, I think (while you may look really dumb) you have nothing and play on.

Yep, it's unfortunate, but there's no rule to support anything other than keep playing and see what happens. I've seen umpires try to make up rules and place runners...but that is bad umpiring.

Then again, if it's truly the umpire's fault, there's at least a reasonable argument that this is a situation not covered in the rules and subject to a 'best judgment' ruling

Then again, if it's truly the umpire's fault, there's at least a reasonable argument that this is a situation not covered in the rules and subject to a 'best judgment' ruling

I don't think the argument is very reasonable.

No, there's not.

No, there's not.

Why not? If I mess up and am late pivoting and run into a kid from 1st to 2nd, how do I justify letting him get tagged out? Now I'm not giving him 2nd either, but seems like the best thing is put him back safely to first. Again, only if it's truly and unavoidably my mistake. If it's just a fielder or runner running into me when I'm where I'm supposed to be, like Prince Fielder the other day (I think it was him), then tough luck. But I 100% cause it, I gotta fix it as best I can. There's nothing in the rules to help me, so that's my best judgment.

Umpire interference is defined as two things and two things only in 4.21 and the play here is not one of the two things. Play on.

Umpire interference is defined as two things and two things only in 4.21 and the play here is not one of the two things. Play on.

Well, that's kinda the point, isn't it? Again, just playing devils advocate....but an argument could be made that this is a situation that isn't in the rules. I doubt I'd call it that way myself unless it was egregiously unfair to the runner, a VERY LOW likelihood. But as a thought experiment, I can see a case.

Well, that's kinda the point, isn't it? Again, just playing devils advocate....but an argument could be made that this is a situation that isn't in the rules.

Umpire interference is in the rules but this is not one of the two specifically enumerated instances of umpire interference.

Well, that's kinda the point, isn't it? Again, just playing devils advocate....but an argument could be made that this is a situation that isn't in the rules.

Umpire interference is in the rules but this is not one of the two specifically enumerated instances of umpire interference.

Ah, indeed. By defining the two instances of interference, it does make sense that all other types are simply to be ignored. That does make sense.

Best outcome? Don't screw up and run a kid over and put yourself in that position.

• 3 weeks later...

Had this once. I was plate, very senior member of my high school association as partner on the bases. He was NOT very quick, nor agile (anymore). He got hung up between Positions A and B on an overthrow play and was "TRUCKED" by the batter-runner who was 6'10" and near 300 lbs. Both of them sprawling. B-R made it back, by crawling to first. I killed it and no one argued with me. Partner had road rash on his arms, hands and one of his cheeks. Bleeding everywhere. I think everyone felt sorry for my partner who just wasn't the umpire he used to be. Sad, but true.......

On the same pivot into B, anybody ever collided with the F3? You try to time it so he isn't in the way but sometimes it happens. Anyway, you collide with him so he is now not in place to be the cutoff man. Are you fixing that too? Stuff happens, umpires and players sometimes contact each other. It's nothing.

• Like 1

You can try to "fix" situations like this. But a smart manager will protest, and win against any sort of "fix".

The good thing is, there aren't that many smart managers out there, who would know this. So fixing it would probably work 99% of the time.