Post Game - Should I have???

KLAH316
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4337 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Ok, 12U league with club teams. Plays OBR. Not that it matters, just setting the stage.

Home team is getting THROTTLED!! Makes several errors each inning, can't put the bat on the ball and gets only one baserunner all game. Of course there is some chirping by the coaches and parents about the stike zone.... (It's always the umpires fault, right?)

VT wins 12-0 after 4 innings (Run Rule). As I am standing at the plate waiting for the teams to finish shaking hands so I can get the coaches to sign the card.... (Required by the league - Just like USSSA Tournaments). HT HC as he is signing the card says "Terrible Game Blue". I say "Excuse me" and he just turns and walks away.

Now, this is at least the 3rd time I've called their game and they have been run-ruled every game this season. He's usually really cool and I've never had a problem with him.

I chalked it up to his frustration with his team and just ignored it. I'm sure I'll have him again next week!

Breathe in....breathe out......let it go.......

Exactly what I did..... My partner couldn't believe the coach said it though.....

Like I said, they are a really bad team and I think it just got to him going 0-8 on the season so far with no change in sight!!

Yep - not enough to toss, unfortunately. This is why I hate the idea of getting anything signed. The coach was out of line and a complete d#ck for having said that but I'm sure that there have been a number of coaches who've been unhappy with me but never got the chance because I was out the winning teams duggout. It just creates a really bad situation and leagues should know that by now.

is signing the card says "Terrible Game Blue".

Thats when I reply...."yes it was.... But maybe you'll do better next time" :)

DING DING DING ..... took the phrase right out of my mouth Fittske!! Nice one! :notworthy:

p.s. BTW, ...no, ... that's not an EJ

:ranton: What is all this signing the card crap? Something new I've never heard of? Are they playing golf and attesting the score for a handicapping system or playing in a golf tournament?

What an asinine practice, having to stand around for them to shake hands and have them sign something? Whose freakin stupid idea was this? The last thing I want to do when the game is over is to watch teams shake hands or hang around one minute longer than I have to. Just disheartening to hear about. The umpire should not be ever required to converse with a coach of either team following a game, especially the loser. :rantoff:

• Like 1

:ranton: What is all this signing the card crap? Something new I've never heard of? Are they playing golf and attesting the score for a handicapping system or playing in a golf tournament?

What an asinine practice, having to stand around for them to shake hands and have them sign something? Whose freakin stupid idea was this? The last thing I want to do when the game is over is to watch teams shake hands or hang around one minute longer than I have to. Just disheartening to hear about. The umpire should not be ever required to converse with a coach of either team following a game, especially the loser. :rantoff:

All the parks I work at do it besides the one I'm UIC at, I got rid of that real fast. Anyone can doctor a document or fake a signature, it does no good forcing the umpires to sign papers or books at the end of the game. Typically I make sure that I let coaches know if they want anything signed they must have it ready or give it to me now, or I will not be signing it. Just yesterday I had a volunteer umpire get shouldered by a coach because he was angry he lost a close game when he was signing a score book. :hopmad:

For the travel ball tournaments (USSSA, Triple Crown, Etc) , the umpire is required to keep the official score card during the game. It has the score per inning and the pitchers Innings Pitched.

At the end of the game, we are required to tally the score - fill out the Start/End time - final tally the innings pitched for all pitchers and THEN have both managers sign it indicating everyone agrees.

Now, I'm not saying I agree with it all but it's a requirement for working the tournaments. You have to do what your assignors require.

Heck, I have an assignor that makes us walk through the "Good Game" line and shake hands with all the players/coaches after the game. Again, I don't agree with it but if I want to work and keep him happy I have to do what I have to do.

For the travel ball tournaments (USSSA, Triple Crown, Etc) , the umpire is required to keep the official score card during the game. It has the score per inning and the pitchers Innings Pitched.

At the end of the game, we are required to tally the score - fill out the Start/End time - final tally the innings pitched for all pitchers and THEN have both managers sign it indicating everyone agrees.

Now, I'm not saying I agree with it all but it's a requirement for working the tournaments. You have to do what your assignors require.

Heck, I have an assignor that makes us walk through the "Good Game" line and shake hands with all the players/coaches after the game. Again, I don't agree with it but if I want to work and keep him happy I have to do what I have to do.

That's okay. I just needed a good rant, and this seemed like a good one to rant about!:)

We have to keep score on a card for the NABA games here, but it is only to keep the score straight during the game. Nobody has to sign it or even look at it later. My trunk gets littered with them during the season.

A lot of youth ball leagues require that you sign the official score book, which is normally kept either in the press box or in the lap of a mom or dad from the home team during the game. It is not kept by the coaches or players, who I try to avoid like the plague after the game is over.

We have to do the cards and have them signed by coaches for pitching records here in VA. We turn them in to the site director (or leave them in the ball cooler if you are not at a major complex), but this is more so they get them right away so they can enter them and especailly on Sunday, so seeding can be posted.

Sign a book that we didn't see the entire game. Good idea.

Not signing the book for score accuracy, just that there were umpires there and the game was officiated.

In HS we sign the books just so the teams know who was at their game. Many times we do it before the game because we are not verifying anything except our names. In USSSA we have to the cards for one tournament system but not the other. In both we have to report scores, in the one with cards we have to track pitchers. To me I think the TDs think they are being efficient, I see as being lazy.

Whaaaaaa....?

Do they want umpires or accountants?

I'm desperate for games out here, since I can't hook up with Japanese leagues, but I don't think I'd work games with that nonsense. If the two teams can't get their score books to match, tough.

I have one summer league where we need to sign books after the game, but just as MST states its just to verify who umpired the game and that it was an umpire from our (contracted association)..

a few years ago, we had an umpire notice an umpire signature in the book, who was clearly not from our association..........turned out they used an in-house umpire to do a rescheduled game, against the contract.....

The only stuff I sign is U-trip score cards. I think it's primarily for the pitching records since there are pitching restrictions and we're the "impartial party". I'm not a big fan, but I've had no problems so far - knock on wood...