Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
Jeremy_UEFL

Odd First <acronym title='Eject'>EJ</acronym> of the season

HS Game.

TOP 4. Home team H/C coaching at 3B with his team up 10 runs starts to exchange words with the visiting assistant coaching defense in front of his dugout. I can't make out what they are saying from the plate, but they seem to be having a disagreement/exchanging words. I call time after the first batter and out because I realize they are talking rather aggressive and loud enough I can hear from home now. I go up and break up their conversation with my partner and tell them that from now on they are restricted to the dugout while on defense and not to talk to each other. Seems fine.

Two innings later though. Home team on defense...home team head coach is out of dugout down the 1B line exchanging words with my partner. Realize my partner is going back at him, continuing the conversation for a good amount of time. so I call time and walk up the line to see what is going on. My partner finally says that he needs to go to the dugout and I said "yes coach, you are restricted while on defense." He begins to say that we are making it about ourselves and that it was a joke to restrict him to the dugout. I said "okay coach, that's enough" and begin to walk to the plate and he says again "you are schmoozing up with the other coach. this is a joke, you just want someone to eject, huh?" I said "okay, you are done," give the heave, and proceed to walk away. He waited right behind the dugout staring at the opposing team's assistant coach. I waited and told the onsite supervisor he had to leave, which he finally did after a minute of standing there.

Probably the dumbest ejection of my life.

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

Lame and he got that last bit in about "wanting to EJ somebody" so he can use that to make you look like the aggressor.

Because that's what it is all about. (Sarc)

Lame and he got that last bit in about "wanting to EJ somebody" so he can use that to make you look like the aggressor.

Because that's what it is all about. (Sarc)

Haha exactly. He did get that bit in. That just made me eject him more immediate than otherwise it not had been said. I don't know what he was so upset about, didn't bark about one call I made the whole game.

But I'm not going to let my partner be distracted for 30 seconds without paying attention during a live ball.

Jeremy, if I understand your post correctly, you were allowing the coaching staff's of both teams to be outside their dugouts during live action? If they are not in one of the two coaching boxes or briefly outside of the dugout to make defensive adjustments, keep them inside their dugout while the ball is live. They have no business being in live ball territory. I think you finally did this when you restricted both coaches to the dugout while on defense, but were you allowing them back out while on offense? You don't need to restrict them for this...they are already restricted by rule 3-3-1 a. Its rare, be we occasionally get a HC or AC that wants to stand outside the dugout during play, and a simple "gentlemen, I need you inside the dugout" takes care of it.

Plus, once you did "restrict" him on defense, and he came out AGAIN yapping at your partner, your partner should have immediately dumped him.

It is probably what is acceptable and what is not in different parts of the country kind of thing. In my association in So Cal, teams receive a letter from Ken Allen at the start of every season with rules changes and various other issues that pop up every year. Remaining in the dugout is one of them. Maybe that is why it is pretty much a non-issue for us.

Good job on dealing with the two coaches jawing at each other and good job with the ejection. I just think your partner should have immediately dumped him as soon as he left the dugout after being told he was "restricted."

• Like 2

Was the HT trying to run up the score and had the coach called off the dogs and gone to OBAAT. Sounds like the VC didn't appreciate the HT continuing their assault on the record books for a game that might end in the mercy rule or just be played out.

The coaches are there to teach sportsmanship to their teams. If they are the ones getting into it with each other, dump them both and let them explain their behavior to their superiors.

If you felt like it had not reached that point yet, make sure you are listening and aware of all situations during a game. A hard slide but not malicious can get people worked up. Be ready for anything.

These are the areas you should be aware of and have rabbit ears for. You want to know the what and why of things when they start. Do not bury your head in the sand for sportsmanship and deportment issues. It does not mean you have to act on what your rabbit ears heard, but you need to be ready to cut bad behavior off in a hearbeat.

Of course we all have to be there in these instances to really say what we would have done, but just be super aware of these situations in the future.

I will give you an example. In between innings a very very good plate umpire was up the line and all of a sudden there was a rucus behind the plate. The pitcher had given chin music to a guy who was timing his swing in the dirt around the plate area. The good umpire had no clue to what had happened. If he had been on the ball he would have seen the hitter trying to sneak up that close and yelled at him to get the heck away from even being close to the dirt to start with. The umpire just couldn't figure out what had happened while he wasn't watching the situation, and almost had a war start. Although he was a good umpire, he was completely oblivious to this situation. Keep on your toes. It is your responsibility to be on TOP of these type things. Use your baseball instincts for many of the situations that might occur. Hopefully on your watch, not too many will happen.

• Like 1

We don't work FED baseball up here in Canada and I'm glad we don't. The restriction rule is one of the dumbest ever conjured up.

Just throw the rat out of the game in the first place. Problem solved.

We don't work FED baseball up here in Canada and I'm glad we don't. The restriction rule is one of the dumbest ever conjured up.

Just so long as you can keep them on a short leash and not get punished with a reduced schedule, blackballed, etc. when you take care of business. If you have to listen to a lot of grief and not be backed up, then the Canadian system is not very good either, no system is under those circumstances, and we have found out that those 'do not eject' or face the consequences, in many areas are more prevalent than anyone wants to admit.

I agree about restricting, although in this case it may have been a good time to use it. The thing is, just flat restrict both of them, as noted they belong in the dugout on defense anyway, so make it so they can"t coach bases either. If they wish to take it further, dump them. What did your partner say the conversation was that you broke up? While not pertinent to the ejection, it may be something that needs to be in the report.

We don't deal with any grief here. I've never once heard of an umpire getting blackballed for doing their job. That being said, we don't deal with the schools ourselves as independent contractors. We have an assignor who gives us the games.

I can't for the life of me think of a single situation where if I felt the need to restrict someone to the bench I wouldn't just throw their ass out of the park.

Just so long as you can keep them on a short leash and not get punished with a reduced schedule, blackballed, etc. when you take care of business. If you have to listen to a lot of grief and not be backed up, then the Canadian system is not very good either, no system is under those circumstances, and we have found out that those 'do not eject' or face the consequences, in many areas are more prevalent than anyone wants to admit.

In hindsight, you guys are definitely right. I should have restricted them completely. I don't think their little disagreement at the time warranted an ejection because I heard nothing violent/vulgar/long lasting/completely distracting. We went over there, broke it up..warned them. They stopped. I knew they were probably cussing, which they told me they were, but I didn't hear it at the time, so I didn't have reason there.

But for their actions, I should have kept them in the dugout the rest of the game (sans conferences/injured players). As for what my partner told me, my partner said he told him to go the dugout and he tried saying he wasn't bothering anybody or doing anything standing where he was. Then something about a call my partner previously made the coach brought up. When I saw my partner looking away after every pitch, I thought it was my place to go down and see what was going on. But I think had I completely restricted the coach, he wouldn't have come out at all and known his place. It was just an odd situation. I have never had to deal with coaches getting in a teenage-like verbal fight and since the conversation was 90 feet away, I really sorta went with feel when to break it up and "intrude" on their conversation. I just couldn't make out what they were saying before and did not want to appear to be nosy or overreaching.

Anyways i do think at that point the ejection was warranted when he wouldn't quiet down. I had no intention on ejecting. It was just a really odd situation.

How do you guys deal with verbal quips between opponents. Players included, but especially coaches?

I appreciate the advice and information here.

I should also clarify that they were immediately outside of their dugout. As you could say just in front of the frame of the dugout. Which technically I should have put a stop to it under 3-3-1a and 3-3-1j. Obviously you live and learn and you can see why such a rule is in place.

How do you guys deal with verbal quips between opponents. Players included, but especially coaches?

I should also clarify that they were immediately outside of their dugout. As you could say just in front of the frame of the dugout. Which technically I should have put a stop to it under 3-3-1a and 3-3-1j. Obviously you live and learn and you can see why such a rule is in place.

Jeremy, remember FED operates under the premise the field is an extension of the classroom and sportsmanship is of the upmost importance. There is a recent post on here by mstaylor where he took immediate action in shutting down jawing by someone (cant remember the circumstances). That is a perfect example of how to handle a player or coach. Deal with it immediately by typically warning...and note the warning on your line up card. Or it could rise to the level of an immediate ejection, depending on the circumstances. Either way, good game management warrants you staying on TOP of it and shutting it down quickly. Don't make threats, but something along the lines of "17 and 23, that's enough, this is your warning." Note it on your line up card and inform the coaches. It might be a case of both dugouts chirping at each other. Go to both coaches and tell them you are warning both teams re: taunting, unsportsmanlike behavior, or whatever is applicable. Note it on your line up card. Now it is up to them. If they continue, eject.

Don't let things of this nature slide. Deal with it and let their actions determine what you do next.

The reasoning (or so I am told) behind the FED restriction rule, is that in other sports there is a "step" process of in-game discipline. Basketball : technical foul, then a second technical and ejection. Football: Unsportsman-like conduct penalty, followed by a second with ejection. FED Baseball : restriction, followed by ejection. I don't necessarily agree, but it is what it is.

The reasoning (or so I am told) behind the FED restriction rule, is that in other sports there is a "step" process of in-game discipline. Basketball : technical foul, then a second technical and ejection. Football: Unsportsman-like conduct penalty, followed by a second with ejection. FED Baseball : restriction, followed by ejection. I don't necessarily agree, but it is what it is.

Yup. I think that is exactly what it is. Though still rarely used. Baseball...you are either ejected or not really. Basketball obviously carries two free throws + ball. Football 15 yard penalty...

Not much you can do in baseball.

Jeremy, remember FED operates under the premise the field is an extension of the classroom and sportsmanship is of the upmost importance. There is a recent post on here by mstaylor where he took immediate action in shutting down jawing by someone (cant remember the circumstances). That is a perfect example of how to handle a player or coach. Deal with it immediately by typically warning...and note the warning on your line up card. Or it could rise to the level of an immediate ejection, depending on the circumstances. Either way, good game management warrants you staying on TOP of it and shutting it down quickly. Don't make threats, but something along the lines of "17 and 23, that's enough, this is your warning." Note it on your line up card and inform the coaches. It might be a case of both dugouts chirping at each other. Go to both coaches and tell them you are warning both teams re: taunting, unsportsmanlike behavior, or whatever is applicable. Note it on your line up card. Now it is up to them. If they continue, eject.

Don't let things of this nature slide. Deal with it and let their actions determine what you do next.

Thanks and well said. That is why I think during plate meeting with the players, pretty much thing thing you tell them is to be properly equipped (no jewelry, etc.) and to remember this is an extension of the classroom. Guess I didn't think the coaches needed to be told as such. I was wrong. I live and learn. Coaches should be treated really no different than players in that regard when it comes to verbal comments among opponents. And I guess it would have also been better to break up their conversation even if it was overbearing. One batter was too much for him. I just didn't get why he couldn't shut up. *Shrugs*

But for their actions, I should have kept them in the dugout the rest of the game (sans conferences/injured players).

Conferences have to be at the dugout once they are restricted.

Thanks and well said. That is why I think during plate meeting with the players, pretty much thing thing you tell them is to be properly equipped (no jewelry, etc.) and to remember this is an extension of the classroom. Guess I didn't think the coaches needed to be told as such. I was wrong. I live and learn. Coaches should be treated really no different than players in that regard when it comes to verbal comments among opponents. And I guess it would have also been better to break up their conversation even if it was overbearing. One batter was too much for him. I just didn't get why he couldn't shut up. *Shrugs*

Keep your plate meeting simple:

line-ups

players properly/legally equipped

expect good sportsmanship

ground rules

Keep your plate meeting simple:

line-ups

players properly/legally equipped

expect good sportsmanship

ground rules

Yep HT lineup...looks good. VT lineup...looks good.

Not checking equipment...certify it is proper and legal...players are properly equipped...take off the jewelry

This is an extension of a classroom, no cursing...no trash talking. Good sportsmanship.

Take us around, coach.

Good luck.