Game Management Festivities

T-Rav
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4404 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I had the pleasure of doing a LL major game where it was a 10 run rule in the 4th. This distinct pleasure included a nutty fan base and the coaches to go along with it. Starting the game off was good, the HC complemented me on my NB 950's and how shinny they are, I should have known he was a real piece of work. My PU was very good, we had a pickle between 3rd and home- and he had a borderline call that he called safe- with no complaints.

He has been doing their games for a long time and everyone knows him by name, including the fans who were yelling his name and how much they love him. No-one felt that way for me, I had bases loaded, 2 outs, BR hits ball the shortstop and I am in C I try to get an angle and practically get straight-lined, called the BR out on a banger and ended the inning. The team who won by 10 runs fans, coaches, and players went crazy like I pulled a Jim Joyce in the world series. I heard allot of yelling get help and the HC runs over yelling how I need to get help on that too my partner, the PU. Thank God the PU was good and didn't allow him to do that but coaches were having a hissy fit and the players mimicked their crappy attitudes. I could hear them saying it was a horrible call, how terrible I am, and worse but I choose not to take any action due to the fact that I didn't want to have rabbit ears and nobody was following me into my between inning position in right field.

As if karma was not on my side, no body on, I'm in A, throw from SS he bobbles it, banger at 1st I call safe. Boy did they erupt, HC gets as far as the 1st base batters box and his coaches get out of the dugout a few feet, time was not called and my partner thankfully yelled time since I was going to B. HC asks me to get help on the play, I tell him I was right at the play and my partner was all the way at home and that I saw the play and called him safe and would not be getting help on the call. He pulls off his hat and says "c'mon blue" while his ass clown's of coaches yell to him to get "vinny" to help me, pretty sure he said he was out by 2 feet and that was 2. He tries to start it again and I simply answer no and got back into my possition. After 1 more inning they won by 10 and that was the game, of course I got the good game blue, thanks blue... And yes I may have missed punching his ticket, more than likely would have but I was walking away to my position and it was my first game with a new assigner- I think I tried to be too nice.

It seems to be a chronic problem in that division, they have 12 teams in the major's, and a good umpire says he only umpires the 10 y/o division because of the way they act- the assigner calls him "captain hook" due to his many ejections, he told me they don't like ejections out here. I'm the new guy out there and talked to the president of the league, I know him personally, and I umpired his both his sons senior league games Tuesday, he told me that that division is the most competitive and wild division he has in his 1,000 kid program.

So is it not very wise to drive 30 minutes each way for a regular LL game fee and put myself in the position of dealing with these folks? I'm not quite sure whether I want to do mores games out there, I could use the opportunities to improve on my game management but if I won't get backed up on my decisions I feel that it may be a poor choice. On further thought, I think they may have been "trying the waters" with me, but it seems to be the norm out there since the others umpires had similar experiences on the other games that night and the president said it himself.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the pleasure of doing a LL major game where it was a 10 run rule in the 4th. This distinct pleasure included a nutty fan base and the coaches to go along with it. Starting the game off was good, the HC complemented me on my NB 950's and how shinny they are, I should have known he was a real piece of work. My PU was very good, we had a pickle between 3rd and home- and he had a borderline call that he called safe- with no complaints.

He has been doing their games for a long time and everyone knows him by name, including the fans who were yelling his name and how much they love him. No-one felt that way for me, I had bases loaded, 2 outs, BR hits ball the shortstop and I am in C I try to get an angle and practically get straight-lined, called the BR out on a banger and ended the inning. The team who won by 10 runs fans, coaches, and players went crazy like I pulled a Jim Joyce in the world series. I heard allot of yelling get help and the HC runs over yelling how I need to get help on that too my partner, the PU. Thank God the PU was good and didn't allow him to do that but coaches were having a hissy fit and the players mimicked their crappy attitudes. I could hear them saying it was a horrible call, how terrible I am, and worse but I choose not to take any action due to the fact that I didn't want to have rabbit ears and nobody was following me into my between inning position in right field.

As if karma was not on my side, no body on, I'm in A, throw from SS he bobbles it, banger at 1st I call safe. Boy did they erupt, HC gets as far as the 1st base batters box and his coaches get out of the dugout a few feet, time was not called and my partner thankfully yelled time since I was going to B. HC asks me to get help on the play, I tell him I was right at the play and my partner was all the way at home and that I saw the play and called him safe and would not be getting help on the call. He pulls off his hat and says "c'mon blue" while his ass clown's of coaches yell to him to get "vinny" to help me, pretty sure he said he was out by 2 feet and that was 2. He tries to start it again and I simply answer no and got back into my possition. After 1 more inning they won by 10 and that was the game, of course I got the good game blue, thanks blue... And yes I may have missed punching his ticket, more than likely would have but I was walking away to my position and it was my first game with a new assigner- I think I tried to be too nice.

It seems to be a chronic problem in that division, they have 12 teams in the major's, and a good umpire says he only umpires the 10 y/o division because of the way they act- the assigner calls him "captain hook" due to his many ejections, he told me they don't like ejections out here. I'm the new guy out there and talked to the president of the league, I know him personally, and I umpired his both his sons senior league games Tuesday, he told me that that division is the most competitive and wild division he has in his 1,000 kid program.

So is it not very wise to drive 30 minutes each way for a regular LL game fee and put myself in the position of dealing with these folks? I'm not quite sure whether I want to do mores games out there, I could use the opportunities to improve on my game management but if I won't get backed up on my decisions I feel that it may be a poor choice. On further thought, I think they may have been "trying the waters" with me, but it seems to be the norm out there since the others umpires had similar experiences on the other games that night and the president said it himself.

Don't be afraid to eject. Stand up for yourself.

Thing was the stands are so darn close to the dugouts I can't say for certain who did what. I do know what the HC said but like I said working your first game at a new league with word on the street being that they don't back their umpires, had me taking more mouth than usual but it wasn't too flagrant. The past is the past and I only wish to learn and advance from it.

Indeed I meant a rundown.

They don't like ejections out there then maybe they can start by backing their umpires and being more selective with the coaches they allow.

Easier to find umpires who don't eject people. :no:

My <acronym title='plate umpire'>PU</acronym> was very good, we had a pickle between 3rd and home

You mean a run down?

Was it a nice Big Juicy Dill :hi5:

After that game it was likely a sour pickle.

I don't understand leagues that won't back their umpires. Whatever league that I assigning, I told them that I would back my umpires and I expected them to follow suit. If they didn't we wouldn't cover their games. I had one league that I worked very few of the games and never had problems when I did, but other umpires were having huge problems with coaches and players. I was told in the off season some of them didn't want to work because of the problems. I asked why were there were problems. They said the coaches were being jerks and weren't controlling their players. I told them that I understood that but why weren't they taking care of business? I told them that if a coach or player crossed the line, throw them. They said they felt the league wouldn't back them up. I told them to toss a few and the problems would go away. I had their backs 100% and I would make sure the league would too. I went to the BOD and told them the same thing. They were fine with it.

Your story is another one to reinforce why I do not work any baseball played by players who don't shave. (stole that from someone else on one of these forums, Ozzy maybe?)

My advice is to get enough experience to get out of 60' baseball. Almost no one there knows the rules and they seem to be proud of it. All of their little darlings are future Major Leaguers and the only thing standing in the way is you, the umpire. I HATE, absolutely hate, what youth baseball has turned into in this country. I have umpired in 9 states so far and the problems are almost all the same and these forums keep on reminding me what it is like in other locales.

Thanks for this season's reminder for me to make sure I remind all seven or eight of my assigners that I will not work 60' baseball. Good luck and God Bless those of you that do. Not for me, anymore.

DCT

Your story is another one to reinforce why I do not work any baseball played by players who don't shave. (stole that from someone else on one of these forums, Ozzy maybe?)

My advice is to get enough experience to get out of 60' baseball. Almost no one there knows the rules and they seem to be proud of it. All of their little darlings are future Major Leaguers and the only thing standing in the way is you, the umpire. I HATE, absolutely hate, what youth baseball has turned into in this country. I have umpired in 9 states so far and the problems are almost all the same and these forums keep on reminding me what it is like in other locales.

Thanks for this season's reminder for me to make sure I remind all seven or eight of my assigners that I will not work 60' baseball. Good luck and God Bless those of you that do. Not for me, anymore.

DCT

A League is only as good as how well they back their umpires. Apparently from reading a lot of shaving leagues could care less also. Coaches pick the umpires and only ones who do not eject get picked for those also. I am not saying that is true everywhere but apparently it is more prevelant than everyone is willing to admit.

Even this shaving league could care less.

http://www.inhistoric.com/2010/9/27/1001848/9-27-1996-alomar-spits-at-hirschbeck

LL, just like above, could care less or they would come down on this with a big hammer. Many presidents consider their LL program as their fiefdom apparently or this would not happen and we would not hear of these problems.

They could pretty much eradicate the problem at all levels but they could care less about umpires, its all about the coaches and players.

Glad you have always been in areas where there are no problems and umpires are backed 100% and these problems do not arise because players and coaches are given the CTJ speech from the get go. Consider yourself lucky they have intestinal fortitude wherever you have been and you do not have to deal with mickey mouse crap.

I don't understand leagues that won't back their umpires. Whatever league that I assigning, I told them that I would back my umpires and I expected them to follow suit. If they didn't we wouldn't cover their games. I had one league that I worked very few of the games and never had problems when I did, but other umpires were having huge problems with coaches and players. I was told in the off season some of them didn't want to work because of the problems. I asked why were there were problems. They said the coaches were being jerks and weren't controlling their players. I told them that I understood that but why weren't they taking care of business? I told them that if a coach or player crossed the line, throw them. They said they felt the league wouldn't back them up. I told them to toss a few and the problems would go away. I had their backs 100% and I would make sure the league would too. I went to the BOD and told them the same thing. They were fine with it.

But why do your guys have this problem of not taking care of business when we know you will back them. Will coaches scratch them and you do not know about it, or what. What gives? I know you don't put up with a bunch of crap from coaches with your staff. Do you tell them every year to take care of business. How are they not getting the message. Or was this an old problem that has now been fixed.

It was an old problem that got fixed. A younger guy is assigning that league now and they know if I work there they better mind themselves. That league got a lot of umpires that were just moving into varsity or were mid level varsity, therefore they were less sure of themselves with respect to game management. That part of that league's purpose, teach them to handle varsity level ball but with daddy coaches.

Edited to add:

I believe the players that shave goes back to PapaC or Jim Booth.