<acronym title='Eject'>EJ</acronym> was easy. Getting the other player out of the game was harder.

sdix00
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4379 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

The EJ was an easy one. However, please focus on the underlined section. Not 100% sure I didn't overstep. It just felt like the right thing to do. Contrary to the impression I gave in the report, it actually took some convincing to get the coach very reluctantly agree to bench his player. I am wondering if I should have stayed out of it, restricted the player, or something else. What if the coach refused to bench the kid? Very possible.

I am 100% convinced that getting the player out of the game was the right thing to do at this level. I could see him getting a ball in the earhole. The climate was ripe for it.

This ejection report is a followup to the message I left immediately following the game.

[Game details deleted]

1 man, JV

TOP 4th, 2 outs, R2

F1 attempted to pick of R2 and caught R2 in a rundown between 2B and 3B. As R2 attempted to acquire 3B, a player near 3B put a tag on R2. R2 then wrapped his hands around the fielder's hand in an attempt to dislodge the ball, glove, or otherwise disrupt the tag.

I called R2 out for interference. There was a small scuffle with posturing only. As the scuffle started to settle, #34 (F1) stepped toward R2 and pushed him with both hands on to R2's chest and caused R2 to take several steps backward. Players and coaches immediately separated R2 and F1 and both players were removed from the field into their dugouts.

I spoke to both coaches. I ejected #34 for Team2 for retaliating with Physical Contact. I also recommended that the Team1 Coach bench R2 for his own safety and to help cool the situation, which he agreed with and benched R2 (#3).

Please let me know if you need any more information.

FED rules? If so, you've gotta eject every player that left their position. :)

Also, if I'm asking a coach to put someone on the bench, it's going to be an official thing. Not something suggested but a "Coach, I'm also restricting your player for..."

You can suggest it but the only thing you can actually do is toss him or leave it alone. There is no rule support to restrict a player in this situation. Good toss on F1 and not a bad suggestion to sit R2 down. If the coach refused or declined, just keep an eye out for further actions and handle them accordingly.

• Like 1

Also, if I'm asking a coach to put someone on the bench, it's going to be an official thing. Not something suggested but a "Coach, I'm also restricting your player for..."

Adrew, as i noted in my post right after your's, there is no rule support to restrict. Suggesting is all you can do. He didn't do anything to to get tossed.

agreed. Keep R2's number in your head so that you know A) when he comes to the plate again and B) where he is on the field. That way you can keep an eye on things.

However good job on dumping F1. In any code that is an easy EJ... especially talking about a game played by kids.

Good toss on F1.

I'm ejecting R2 for unsportsmanlike conduct. I did it last year in a freshman game. Similar situation, R1 picked off, takes his frustration on F6 by swatting at his glove on the tag. Varsity coach was watching the game and came to me between innings to ask why I didn't let the coach handle it. My response was that it was USC and the rule was clear.

Good on the EJ.

As for R2 I see what you're trying to accomplish, but I wouldn't write it in the report, but I agree with keeping an eye on R2 and put a dose of preventive umpiring out there.

I don't disagree with bringing it to R2's coach's attention that he is on my radar and that the coach needs to make sure he keeps on the straight and narrow, then putting the ball in the coaches court as to what he is going to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Really?

The rule: q. leave their positions or bench area for the purpose of fighting or physical confrontation.

The situation as described in the OP: Players and coaches immediately separated R2 and F1.

Doesn't sound like it met the criteria.

Yes, really. There is no discretion for players leaving their position, regardless of reason. The case book is crystal clear on this. Now is it a wise interpretation? I don't think so - but it's the rule.

*3.3.1. SITUATION SS

During the third inning, a fight breaks out between the batter and the pitcher near home plate, and (a) a non-participating player leaves the dugout/bench to retrieve a bat near the two combatants; ( .b)several players leave the dugout/bench to restore order; ( .c) F8 leaves his position to observe the confrontation.

RULING: In (a), ( .b ) and ( .c ), the umpire shall eject all players who left the dugout/bench and/or their position during a fight.

Really?

The rule: q. leave their positions or bench area for the purpose of fighting or physical confrontation.

The situation as described in the OP: Players and coaches immediately separated R2 and F1.

• Like 1

Really?

What year is that rule from? Here's the current one: 3-3-1: A coach, player, substitute, attendant or other bench personnel shall not: q. leave their positions or bench area during a fight or physical confrontation.