Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
buddywilshire

Talk about lack of support from your association!

I have worked with Brian before, and I will say that he is considered to be a very good umpire in our area. I honestly have learned a tremendous amount of skills from working with him. He gets alot of the top Varsity games here in Denver. He has been asked to be a mentor to new umpires and I consider him my mentor, even though I was assigned another one. He is always willing to help a newer umpire.

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

Buddy:

In my area I work baseball and soccer. I am a jewelry nazi. No one enforces it more or as quick as I will but in the last ten years I have exactly one ejection for jewelry. In both sports the legally equiped question is asked at pregame. I will add that armstrong bracelets are included. If I see it I tell them to take it off and tell the coach that's his warning, make sure it's all gone. I did a soccer game a couple of years ago between two top girls' teams and each side sent four captains to the pregame, 7 of 8 had multible earrings in. I told them they had to come out. They said the a certain type needed a tool to take out so they would have to keep them in. I told them to go tell their coach they wouldn't be playing that evening. Amazingly they got them out.

I don't have a problem with the jewelry enforcment or the ejection. However, you said the coach was chirping all game long. That has to be addressed as Brian said. Now if it is just a quick reaction to a play, leave it alone, as long it is with-in reason. Any prolonged chirping about a play or prolonged chirping in general needs to be dealt with.

If you have a banger, a balk, an ejection or something unusual then certainly they are going to yak some, that is to be expected. When it goes past that is when you give them the "That's enough!" warning. Any thing more is an early exit.

This does not put umpires in a bad light, make us too quick or ogres of any kind. Ignoring a problem coach will only encourage more of the same. I have very few ejections, as does Brian. What we have is a reputation for not putting up with crap.

We make have to agree to disagree but in our areas and many other areas it is a proven method.

He wasn't bickering, I don't get how much easier I can explain. He never cursed, never said UMP you did or didn't do this, never said he was safe/out if the play went againest never said anything that was worth ejecting, I don't understand what is so hard to understand about it. He was reacting to plays. He was doing nothing more then what happens at any ball game anywhere in the world. He was just annoying because it was every play. Acknowledging it would have made it an issue.

The jewerly wasn't the issue. I had handle the jewerly issue with every kid. It was handled. They have a 2 hour time limit. If they want to spend ten minutes of that time taking their ear rings and necklesses out, more power to them. He was tossed for cusing at me.

My game managment was not that issue.

I have worked with Brian before, and I will say that he is considered to be a very good umpire in our area. I honestly have learned a tremendous amount of skills from working with him. He gets alot of the top Varsity games here in Denver. He has been asked to be a mentor to new umpires and I consider him my mentor, even though I was assigned another one. He is always willing to help a newer umpire.

No one ever said he was a bad ump or not respected. I'm sure he is a good ump. Only problem is all his games are so quit because if anyone says anything he tosses them! Players, managers, vendors, bat boys, fans etc. "Oh what is that? You got ice cream? You're gone!"

No one ever said he was a bad ump or not respected. I'm sure he is a good ump. Only problem is all his games are so quit because if anyone says anything he tosses them! Players, managers, vendors, bat boys, fans etc. "Oh what is that? You got ice cream? You're gone!"

Man, you really don't get it, do you?

:notworthy:

Thanks, pard.

Having a receptive attitude and a desire to get better is what makes all the difference. You're proof of that, for sure. :notworthy:

As far as the OP goes, I would tell Marcia to take a hike... or maybe just tell her you're going to kick her @$$ in the parking lot and see how she likes it!

If a kid flipped me off and threatened me and the association didn't take any more action than they did, they are sending a message that they don't want me around very badly.

Quote:

Originally posted by Umpire in Chief:

"These kids think it makes them look good and/or cool. Nothing looks better than having a clean, well put together, properly worn uniform looking like a real baseball player and playing well."

I agree with everything you said about jewelry. I hate it also. But the "real baseball players" you referenced, if you mean major leaguers, are the ones that promote wearing all the jewelry. And the purveyors of baseball equipment now include pages of catalogue dedicated to "selling" players on the benefit of this necklace or that bracelet. Kids playing ball today have no real reference and they get no help from their coaches who seem to forget to teach them to respect the game.

Edited by tjshanno