Illegal Bat in First Game

grayhawk
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4386 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

First game of the season yesterday. JV game. Bottom of the second with 1 out and R1 - the ball is live. B3 steps into the box and immediately, F2 asks me, "Is that a BBCOR bat?" I call time and ask B3 to show me the bat. Can't find BBCOR anywhere (it had a BESR label). I ask the head coach to come over and I tell him that I can't find a BBCOR label and I politely ask him if he can. He cannot. I inform him that B3 is out and that, by rule, I must restrict him (the coach) to the dugout. He gives me a simple, "Okay" and I then inform the scorekeeper and the defensive coach that B3 is out for an illegal bat. I then recorded this on my notecard and we play ball.

It was all very cordial and calm. I guess if it's going to happen, it will most likely be in the first game of the season.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CA was all BBCOR and a list for comp BESR bats last year. This will happen at JV/Frosh games b/c varsity seniors will sell their bats to freshman alot. They probably used it through summer ball and bp without thinking about it. Now it becomes a cage bat.... oh well

CA was all BBCOR and a list for comp BESR bats last year. This will happen at JV/Frosh games b/c varsity seniors will sell their bats to freshman alot. They probably used it through summer ball and bp without thinking about it. Now it becomes a cage bat.... oh well

I think all of FED was like that. Thats what was up with those stupid lists from last year!!!

The athletics store I work at has two racks of BESR bats that we have to discount to $50 because no one can use them besides in the cage. Thats $200-$400 bats that now cost $50. My boss cringes every time we sell one.

I think all of FED was like that. Thats what was up with those stupid lists from last year!!!

The athletics store I work at has two racks of BESR bats that we have to discount to $50 because no one can use them besides in the cage. Thats $200-$400 bats that now cost $50. My boss cringes every time we sell one.

Junior division of Little League can still use the BESR bat as long as it is Metal and not composite.

New Mexico went to wood this year. So much easier to not deal witht his BESR/BBCOR mess.

There is no BESR mess anymore. And, except for one particular bat, there's no BBCOR mess, either.

And that one bat is easy. It is a all white bat that says Marucci in black on one side and the words Cat-5 in black and red on the other side.

And its the 33" only

I had a string of CAT-5 bats used in a recent game. All legal. All 32 inch.

Same here. Had a game Saturday with a CAT-5 they kept using. I picked it up after the first batter got a hit and the on deck batter was quick to assure me it was 32"...

Hey guys, where did you get info on the CAT-5 exemption? We haven't started in Minnesota yet but the only exception we've seen is the "whip-it."

It's not an exemption like the Whip-It. The Whip-It is being allowed due to the BBCOR stamp being on the taper and not the barrel. The 33" CAT-5 is banned due to failing BBCOR standards (NFHS'>http://www.baseballbatreviewsblog.com/uncategorized/marucci-33-inch-cat-5-baseball-bat-banned-by-ncaa-and-NFHS -- there are many other, more-official sites with the news as well).

• 2 weeks later...

And that one bat is easy. It is a all white bat that says Marucci in black on one side and the words Cat-5 in black and red on the other side.

And it's only the 33-inch version that's been de-certified.

I saw one Friday. It was lying on the ground after the batter grounded out. I gently turned it with my foot to reveal the 32/29 painted on the other side.

134376_w.jpg

We are directed to cover it in the plate meeting, which has made my plate meeting jump from nine words into double figures. (I love the guys with the 240-word plate meeting, who complain about always getting lousy games. ... "And when the on-deck batter has some retrieved foul balls to give me, make sure he keeps them in his pocket; we don't want any catchers or umpires tripping on 'em if we have a play. That's a real pet peeve of mine." I had a partner say that, only to have the home coach look up at the safety netting that covers the home plate area, including the on-deck circle, making such a play impossible. Don't be that guy.)

Just got an e-mail from my association. Another NFHS/NCAA decertified bat....

The Reebok Vector-TLS bats, 33 inch,

The NFHS or FHSAA sites have no mention of this.