All Star System 7 Helmets

fitzy14
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4943 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

A couple of months ago I gave the All-star 4000SL a brief try and while I believed that the MVP 4000SL to be very impressive piece of gear (admittedly I probably did not give it enough time), I concluded that I was not ready to make the transition from traditional mask to a HSM at the time. However, a couple of months (and a couple of close calls with a clamshell backstop) down the road, I wanted to give it another shot. This time around I decided to go with the MVP4000TI as I felt that the All-star Titanium cage would not only be more durable and slightly lighter than the SL, but, easier to handle as well.

I have not yet had the opportunity to test the helmet in game action, but, the fact that it is now, for the most part, the off-season, gives me lots of opportunities to work with the helmet enough to become proficient handling it before taking it to the field.

Here are my initial thoughts. I will update when I have had opportunities to use the helmet under game conditions.

One of the factors that was keeping me from making the transition to a HSM was the lighter weight and easier handling of a traditional style mask. However, I have been working with my helmet daily to get comfortable both wearing and removing it efficiently, and, thus far I am pleased to report... Piece of cake!

I know the SL is an excellent cage as well, but for me the TI was clearly the best choice. Along with the slightly lighter weight, the thinner bars on the cage make the view even better than the SL version, and, perhaps even more importantly, the thinner bars on the cage make handling the mask for removal and making calls much easier for my smaller hands and shorter fingers.

The Polycarbonate shell (a feature on all the MVP4000 helmets), which is the same type of shell found on many professional football helmets, is (as I understand it) generally considered to be more impact resistant than the ABS plastic used in the manufacture of most helmets. The shell both feels and looks very substantial, and, the high gloss finish looks really sharp as well. In addition the venting system does seem to allow an adequate amount of airflow through the helmet.

The fit is also extremely comfortable and the padding feels outstanding. While historically I have had a preference for leather padding, the more that I wear the MVP4000TI, the more impressed I am with the feel of the padding system. The chin padding is worthy of special note as, while sufficiently firm, it is also very comfortable and feels far more protective than the padding on the Shock FX. While I have not had the chance to use the helmet in live action, I have had enough opportunity to wear it in warm and humid conditions to experience the cooling and moisture wicking properties of the padding system. The do also seem to dry rather quickly as well.

I cannot really comment on durability, having only had this helmet for two weeks. However the quality of the materials used in the construction of this helmet, and, the thoughtful innovation of the removable, washable padding system, gives me great confidence that, with proper care, it will serve me for many seasons to come.

Conclusion: Two thumbs up!!! I love my MVP4000TI

At the end of the day, I am so glad that I took a second look. Don't think I'll be looking back.

Edited by NuBlue

Glad to hear that you like it. After selling my shock on Ebay this week I sent my MVP4000SL back to All-Star to get the SL cage swapped for a TI. I am also getting an extra set of pads and another chin pad. I love my 4000 with the steel cage, but I really think I am going to like it better with the TI cage. Unloading the Shock gave me the funds to do the swap.

Any of you guys thinking HSM should give All-Star a shot. The new MVP line of helmets are amazing. I loved my Shock...but there is not comparison when it comes to the All-Star helmet.

All-Star is a great company to work with. Their customer service is outstanding.

The Polycarbonate shell (a feature on all the MVP4000 helmets), which is the same type of shell found on many professional football helmets, is (as I understand it) generally considered to be more impact resistant than the ABS plastic used in the manufacture of most helmets. The shell both feels and looks very substantial, and, the high gloss finish looks really sharp as well. In addition the venting system does seem to allow an adequate amount of airflow through the helmet.

Great review NuBlue! Thanks for posting!

Yes, the polycarbonate shell is MUCH more impact resistant than the ABS plastic shell. Infact, it's more durable that our older line of kevlar/fiberglass shells! In our testing, the the polycarbonate shell can take way more abuse.

That being said, the MVP2500 with the standard ABS shell is also a mask I would recommend to a lot of umpires. It comes with lots similar features including the removable and machine washable padding but has a standard steel cage. It only weights roughly 1 oz more than the MVP4000SL.

Thanks Slo and Thunder for the nice comments!

I am very excited about the potential for Ump-attire to carry All-Star gear.

I can also see an upside to having a leather padding option available for those who may prefer it either for feel or aesthetic purposes.

Personally, I am very pleased with the system seven padding system as is... The only change I might consider might be a leather chin pad, and that only if it came with the same velcro attachment system so that it could be easily interchangeable.

Good job with the review, that is terrific information. I'm hoping to get my hands on a MVP4000ti soon. Like you I have a strong preference for leather padding, and I'm surprised to read that you like the padding system "as is."

Will you have an opportunity to work this fall with the HSM? I'm curious to hear about your impressions under game conditions.

Pete

Good job with the review, that is terrific information. I'm hoping to get my hands on a MVP4000ti soon. Like you I have a strong preference for leather padding, and I'm surprised to read that you like the padding system "as is."

Will you have an opportunity to work this fall with the HSM? I'm curious to hear about your impressions under game conditions.

Pete

The forehead padding and the padding on the top of the head are both very, very nice. The fact that the pads are vented will really help with the cooling and drying issues as well.While it does lack the feel of leather I like the fact that the chin padding offers a considerably better fit and better coverage than the Shock FX. In addition, the fact that the pads are removable and washable (as well as easily replaceable) will significantly extend the life span of the helmet. Given the higher price point of the MVP4000TI this is a real plus.

On the other hand, assuming the same ease of removal/ replacement, it would be interesting to try a leather chin pad to compare it for comfort and moisture/cooling issues. If (and only if) the fit and comfort proved to be comparable , it might be worth a change as I believe that the tan leather would be an upgrade aesthetically.

Having worn a shock for a couple of seasons and a MVP4000SL for a few games this summer, I think I can give a pretty good chin pad comparison.

I sweat a lot. When the games got hot in the summer the padding on the shock (leather) would soak up some of it, but I was constantly having it drip in my eyes and the chin pad never quite felt right.

When I received my MVP4000SL it was the hottest part of the year. I was a little concerned about the chin pad pulling my facial hair, but I decided to give it a shot. I was very impressed. While it did take a few innings to get used to feeling something other than leather on my face, I had none of the facial hair pulling issues that I expected and I absolutely love the way that all the padding wicked away moisture. In fact, as I have written here, I was so impressed with the fit, comfort, and function of my MVP4000SL that I sold my like new Shock 2.0 to help finance a cage upgrade to a TI from All-star. I am excited about the ease of maintenance on the 4000. Being able to wash and easily replace all of the padding is a great feature. I plan on rotating my two sets of padding next season.

According to Brad@All-Star, they do have a leather chin pad option for the new system 7 helmets. Ed Hickox (sp?) has that in his. It would be interesting to try it with leather, but I am so happy with the moisture wicking pad that I really do not see a need.

I cannot wait for spring to get here so that I can give my 4000 an entire season of work.

It would be interesting to try it with leather, but I am so happy with the moisture wicking pad that I really do not see a need.

well said slo....it seems clear that the padding system is designed to operate as just that... a system. I wonder if the use of a leather chin pad (that is the only place i would even consider a change) would to some degree undermine the efficiency of the system. Same goes for wearing a hat with this helmet, seems to me it would work against the design of the system.

Just a thought...

I sold my like new Shock 2.0 to help finance a cage upgrade to a TI from All-star.

While it is a larger investment...I think that you will be very happy with the TI cage. The SL will work great for lots of folks,but, seems to me that, for my needs, the TI is a step up in both view and handling. Furthermore, I have never heard as much as a peep of complaint about the All-Star TI cages! Combined with the washable and replaceable padding system, I would anticipate a long, comfortable and safe life span!

Edited by NuBlue

That is why I did the upgrade. I had noticed a difference watching a bunch of MLB catchers wear their system sevens with TI cages. The bars seam to be alot slimmer. Not sure how much in reality, but since I had the money from the sale of shock I decided to go with the lighter slimmer look.

I really think the MVP will hold up in the long run better than the shock. My shock had a sticker in it telling me to replace the helmet after two years of use. Brad at All-Star said the MVP will last a lot longer. With the ability to change out all of the padding and mounting stuff I hope to use my new upgraded MVP4000TI for many years.

I really think the MVP will hold up in the long run better than the shock. My shock had a sticker in it telling me to replace the helmet after two years of use. Brad at All-Star said the MVP will last a lot longer. With the ability to change out all of the padding and mounting stuff I hope to use my new upgraded MVP4000TI for many years.

Anybody got any tips for keeping the shell looking good?

I pulled my Shock 2.0 out of my bag yesterday only to find...

Two of my CoolMax pads at the bottom of the helmet compartment. Oh was a pissed. $130 + some change for a shotty glue job? Seriously? Sure, I could glue them back on myself, but, I shouldn't have to.

Upon further examination...

My cage is bent! :D it must of happened my last game. I took a pretty good shot to the mask at a Legion zone game. I hadn't noticed it when I was undressing.

So I have a bent cage and missing pads. I'm going to get Wilson on the phone and get a replacement.

...then I'm getting an All-Star. Some thing about System 7 helmets just look solid. NuBlue and Slo's comments have convinced me. I don't know which one yet, but it's going to happen.

Cage:

DSCN1649.jpg

Pads:

DSCN1644.jpg

I pulled my Shock 2.0 out of my bag yesterday only to find...

Two of my CoolMax pads at the bottom of the helmet compartment. Oh was a pissed. $130 + some change for a shotty glue job? Seriously? Sure, I could glue them back on myself, but, I shouldn't have to.

Upon further examination...

My cage is bent! :D it must of happened my last game. I took a pretty good shot to the mask at a Legion zone game. I hadn't noticed it when I was undressing.

So I have a bent cage and missing pads. I'm going to get Wilson on the phone and get a replacement.

...then I'm getting an All-Star. Some thing about System 7 helmets just look solid. NuBlue and Slo's comments have convinced me. I don't know which one yet, but it's going to happen.

Cage:

DSCN1649.jpg

Pads:

DSCN1644.jpg

773.714.6847, Contact Scott Weber (scott.weber@wilson.com). You can email him a copy of your invoice and picture(s) of the problem. I had a small crack at the top of the helmet where the cage is attached. I sent the pics and he overnighted a brand new titanium 2.0 shockfx to me. My original was the first fx Ti model (shorter chin). I can't say enough about Wilson's customer service.

You can also contact consumerrelations@wilson.com if you can't get in touch with Scott.

Pete

Looks like I will have a bunch of games in an upcoming Labor day Tourney.

Looking forward to the opportunity to put the MVP4000TI t work.

Kcfan102.... thanks for the tip. I think you will be very pleased with All-Star should you choose to get one.

Edited by NuBlue

I sent the pics and he overnighted a brand new titanium 2.0 shockfx to me. My original was the first fx Ti model (shorter chin). I can't say enough about Wilson's customer service.

I'm still of the opinion that Wilson is attempting to cover up a major flaw. If all the broken masks were reported to CPSC, Wilson would probably have recalled the units by now.

Brad,

I actually have 2 All-Star masks that I use: my MVP2200, I use for girls softball(10&U - 14&U) and 9-10yr baseball. My other All-Star mask is the MVP3000 TI, I use this mask for everything from High School Softball (Varsity) to Division 3 Level College Softball and also I do some Women's Recreational Softball Tournaments. I've also used the MVP3000 TI to do some 15-17yr old Baseball games. I was just curious about if the cages of both the 3000 TI and 4000 TI are the same thickness. I like the padding in my 3000 TI alot, I would also like to know if you guys are going to be making any chest protectors and leg guards for umpires in the system 7. I would be interested in testing them out here in PA and giving you my thoughts and opinions on your gear.

And let's be honest.........the All-Star looks better .....AND ...has anyone noticed the MLB guys wearing the Shock ??

It looks like their face is stuffed in there like a sausage! :cheers:

From what I can tell, there are a lot more MLB guys wearing All-Star HSMs than Wilson HSMs.

Anybody got any tips for keeping the shell looking good?

Just be carefull with what you wash it with. Soap and water is always a good choice... and once you start using chemicals different things can do damage to the shell. Stay away from things like rubbing alchohol, de-greasers, goo-gone, gassoline... etc.

Like posted, we do make a helmet polish and helmet cleaner. It's pretty basic stuff but does the trick and is perfectly safe to use on all of our helmets.

Brad,

I actually have 2 All-Star masks that I use: my MVP2200, I use for girls softball(10&U - 14&U) and 9-10yr baseball. My other All-Star mask is the MVP3000 TI, I use this mask for everything from High School Softball (Varsity) to Division 3 Level College Softball and also I do some Women's Recreational Softball Tournaments. I've also used the MVP3000 TI to do some 15-17yr old Baseball games. I was just curious about if the cages of both the 3000 TI and 4000 TI are the same thickness. I like the padding in my 3000 TI alot, I would also like to know if you guys are going to be making any chest protectors and leg guards for umpires in the system 7. I would be interested in testing them out here in PA and giving you my thoughts and opinions on your gear.

Yes, the titanium cage wire on the MVP3000 is the same thickness used to construct the MVP4000TI cage. In fact, the new cage is a bit lighter too because there is less metal too it.

Yes, we are also are in the process of working on some new System 7™ umpire protective equipment. I can't give too many details now but we'll keep you guys posted here.

Hope that helps!

From what I can tell, there are a lot more MLB guys wearing All-Star HSMs than Wilson HSMs.

Correcting an earlier version of this post; Among the full time MLB staff, the All-Star users currently out number Shock users.

All-Star: Hickox, Bucknor, Dimuro, and B. Welke (System Seven) Greg Gibson (earlier MVP model with, I'm guessing, TI cage).

Shock: Cedarstrom, T. Welke, Mark Carlson, Kerwin Danley, (AAA call up Manny Gonzalez is also a Shock user).

But, Enlightenment will surely come to those who yet walk in darkness....lol.

Edited by NuBlue
I was wrong!

I bet the Shock guys will always get free replacement cages when they bend....since they are endorsed by Wilson.

I noticed the other day that Gibson or B. Welke actually uses a Navy colored older All-Star. Looks kind of funny with the black shirt. You would think all-star would be able to at least hook him up with a black one.