Pro School

mstaylor
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4446 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Gives me things to think about as well. For years I have wanted to attend Evans. But learning about TUS this past year plus has really made me thing. I also like the fact that it is 4 weeks rather than 5. I too am looking at 2014 at the earliest which would put me around 35 years old. Personally I am not looking to go pro. But the experience would definitely help in terms of advancing in my local units and getting back into college ball where I was before I made my move north.

Lets also say that all of Jim Kirk's posts from when he was down in Vero were most informative and the fact that he and his fabulous company work with and support TUS definitely carry some weight in my mind.

35 is not too old.. but if you have a family.. you wont get in...trust me I know.

Doesn't seem fair that out of 36 students at PBUC they are sending 14, when we sent 14 from harry's and had over 120 people. They were some really good umpires left out, hard to imagine they are saying that at vero.

BTW I'm NOT saying this out of bitterness, I have no reason to be bitter about by pro school experience! :)

Here's what I know from the past...

Somehow along the way PBUC would determine how many people they would invite to their sessions and would divide that between Wendelstedt & JEAPU . If there was an odd number of invitations it would be rotated. I think it seemed pretty fair.

Now we have a 3rd player in the game. It seems to me they are dividing the slots up evenly among the 3 schools. Now I don't want to discuss talent or ability about anybody because I wasn't there and don't know.

Would it seem that the person who graduated 14/45 (31st percentile) from TUS and got an invite be better than the person who graduated in the same percentile from Harry's or JEAPU who didn't??? Who knows.

At face value it appears from the numbers if you were looking to get a job this year would have been a great year to go to TUS. But on the other hand if you got an invite out of Wendelstedt even if you graduated #14 you're in the 12th percentile you might feel pretty confident in your chances. Now if you graduated # 15 in your class I can fully understand that you'd be frustrated because you feel that person from TUS who got an invite and was in the 31st percentile probably isn't as good as you and you deserve their slot.

This will probably balance out over time.

The telling tale is going to be who gets the nod for a job out of PBUC what do those ratios look like. We will see in March.

• Like 1

It really isnt an issue to me. Like I said I had a great experience at Harrys this year, plus I reached my personal goal so I really dont care it just seems odd.

I guess I don't disagree with you, BUT when you run PBUC, I suppose they tell the other two schools how many they can send, and PBUC can choose to send more from their own school.

That being said, I do not know the process.

35 is not too old.. but if you have a family.. you wont get in...trust me I know.

Its just on the tail end of what they want. I dont have a family but I am married and have a pack of dogs that depend on me coming home. I would be more than happy to just make it into the college unit.

I think, they will have to keep it even.. say there are 24 jobs.. then it will go 8 to each school...

That would be dumb. Im pretty sure they rank you 1-42 and start at the TOP and work down.

Trust me on this one... I know first hand. that is not the system...it goes.. heck one guy who worked int he winter leagues.. was caught sleeping in class, and to punish him, they put him in the Gulf Coast league..LOL

BT Blue: "Lets also say that all of Jim Kirk's posts from when he was down in Vero were most informative and the fact that he and his fabulous company work with and support TUS definitely carry some weight in my mind."

In my haste, I forgot to mention another fantastic part of the PBUC Umpire School experience: the presence of Jim Kirk himself and his Ump.Attire store. Jim's Ump.Attire is the sole supplier of umpire equipment/apparel to the school. He had set up a storefront in the main lobby of the school building and provided information on all aspects of the latest umpire equipment (and which he was given classtime to inform us all about, too). Students could always be seen gathering around his storefront flooding him with questions about the equipment which he answered directly and impartially with no intention of forcing sales upon them. I was looking for new pads for my 3009X Wilson facemask, and I wanted exact matches to my pads. He provided information about how the ones currently available (and being sold as compatible) were not fitting exactly because of factory production mix-ups. He had sent his all back to the distributor and was waiting a shipment of the properly fitting pads. He pointed out a generic set of pads for my facemask, but took no offense when I said I didn't want those. I told him I was also interested in the new TEAM Wendy pads, and he had no qualms about directing me to Honigs. However, I did purchase a new set of NB (all black) base shoes that I saved for my Field Evaluation Final on the 4th. I also got the current 2012 CCA Umpires Manual from him, and all of this included a 15% discount for students attending the school.

Jim was more than just a Ump.Attire salesman at the school. He could also be seen sitting in at times during our classroom instruction, having lunch at a table with several students talking baseball or whatever, out at the backfields observing our practice drills (during which one time when he joined in - a big RIP took place!), and forever taking pictures documenting the 2012 student experience at the school - many of which he has placed on the Ump.Attire Facebook page. He was regarded as part of the staff and mingled in freely among all of us.

• Like 1

Did anyone get photos of him on the drills? That would have been the absolute best!

I was sad to see him come back to his home base during the school. I was living vicariously through his blogs and such. I am, however, quite happy to see that he is giving Stubby a monthly blog spot on GoodCalls regarding umpire health and such.

The more and more I think about it, I am leaning towards TUS because of the amount of time I would be gone for (4 weeks vs. 5 weeks) and the price point being a little lower. Now if I can just convince myself that it would be a better choice to go to over Evans and I would be set.

I do not claim to know how PBUC staff will ultimately evaluate those at the PBUC Eval Course, but I'm sure they are going to be looking squarely (and fairly) at those who will best fit the PBUC criteria and rank them accordingly as they do with their MiLB umpires. All of upper-level instructors at the school are also the evaluators of the MiLB umpires (thru Double A) and will probably rank the Eval Course umpires accordingly in rank 1 thru last based upon how well the students perform the "PBUC way." This certainly gives the graduates of The Umpire School a leg up having spent 4 weeks at it.

Also, I will add that about 60% to 70% of The Umpire School invitees have done 1 or 2 stints at the other two schools in previous years. In addition, I believe there will be other invitees who are coming directly from last year's Eval Course, so there might be as many as 50 to 60 umpires undergoing evaluation there.

I went to Wendelstedt's this year as well and actually was on the same field as Cody. He turned out to be a decent umpire. :wave: All in all, the experience was amazing, and I had no regrets whatsoever in going, even though I was not aiming for a pro job. Met lots of fantastic people and learned a crap ton as well. It was also great that the school beefed up the instructor staff this year, adding additional guys, and having Bob Davidson around for handling situation was a blast.

If anyone wants to know anything other details or have any questions, I'd be happy to answer. I'm probably more at liberty to be on forums and such than Cody.

- Felix

• Like 1