UA Poly Wool Pants...

Chris Hickman
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4448 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I some times have issues with my hands slipping when I am hands-on-knees.

A little mechanics tid bit... if your hands are slipping when you are hands on knees set, you are putting to much weight on your arms and hands. A lot umpires "brace" their arms which actually limits latteral movement. Hands should rest on the knees. With the legs bearing most of the weight.

I some times have issues with my hands slipping when I am hands-on-knees.

A little mechanics tid bit... if your hands are slipping when you are hands on knees set, you are putting to much weight on your arms and hands. A lot umpires "brace" their arms which actually limits latteral movement. Hands should rest on the knees. With the legs bearing most of the weight.

Any recommendations on how to do that? I would really like to solve this problem but it only happens every so often.

Any recommendations on how to do that? I would really like to solve this problem but it only happens every so often.

Think of a player who is taking his lead from 1st preparing to steal 2nd. A player has to be able to move toward 2nd or 1st quickly. To do this, the player must keep his center of gravity low (bulk of the weight supported by the legs) in order to move quickly in either direction. Base umpires should use the same philosophy when getting hands on knees set. The only difference is there is not as much forward lean as with a base stealer. The chest and head should be more vertical and the hands should only grasp the knees not rest on them. If you are in your hands on knees set position and someone comes by and knocks your hand off your knee, you should not fall over. If you do, or in your case, your hand slips off your knee, this is because all of your weight is supported by your arms not your legs. This will also cause you to be a step slower in your reaction time.

1456414-L.jpg

Let's start on the expanders. At first, I wasn't keen on the elastic vice the Honig's-style clips, but I quickly discovered a nice benefit to them--they allow adjustment of the belt/gig line without excessive pleating of the front or looking lopsided. I do wish there was one on both sides, however--I just like symmetry.

Matt, I'm curious you'rs didn't have expanders on both sides?

I ordered 2 pairs and they had expanders on both sides. Now I did have to return them b/c I've lost enough weight to need to. I will be receiving my new ones shortly.

Both my pairs have dual expanders (one each side) maybe smaller sizes have one and larger sizes have two. Mine are a larger size. I like the way the expander works in the plywools better than how it works on the smitty and GD pants.