Compression pants

sdix00
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4120 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Soooo -

I heard that compression pants can actually help you stay cooler? Is this true? It was explained to me that when you run, it creates a cooling breeze that pulls heat away.

I work in the desert. 100 degrees, <10% humidity.

What is your experience with compression tights?

Any place they don't work? (humid areas, etc?)

What is the best brand/model? I don't care about price if it really works.

230-l.jpg_5959147.jpg

Soooo -

I heard that compression pants can actually help you stay cooler? Is this true? It was explained to me that when you run, it creates a cooling breeze that pulls heat away.

I work in the desert. 100 degrees, >10% humidity.

230-l.jpg_5959147.jpg

Yes, they are magic that way. I wear mine in the Pacific NW Feb thru July. Water (moisture) is a much better conductor of Thermo energy than air so when the temp heats up a bit the wicking material brings the sweat to the surface to be magically removed by the breeze leaving your skin feeling cooler. At least I think that's how it work... all I know is yes it works in both cold/hot conditions. As far as brand I know many swear by the UA (Under-armor not Ump-Attire) but I use the less expensive brand and it works just fine. hope this helps. 1

I use McDavid shorts with Smitty long tights over top when behind the plate...used to wear the Smitty's all the time until the seams started to give way. Even in 100+ temps in Arkansas they are not hot...

I wear the Shock Doctors down here in San Diego. I won't wear shorts any longer, they're that nice. No more strap rub from the shin guards. Butter.

• Like 1

Under Armour: most durable; best waistband; excellent compression and heat management performance (I have the heat gear shorts---very cool)spacer.gif

Shock Doctor: very durable; good waistband; excellent compression and good heat management performance (I have the leggings)

McDavid: by far the least durable with the least comfortable waistband; good compression; decent heat management; by far the worst value of these three brands (I got stuck with three pairs of leggings---all defective and all retired)

I do have a pair of those McDavid padded shorts that I wear over my tights and jock when the big boys are throwing. They provide almost no compression but are very protective. I also own several other McDavid products---braces, pads, etc. The tights are of very low quality, if not defective.

With Under Armour and Shock Doctor's offerings, there's no reason to throw your money away on McDavid leggings or compression shorts.

I started wearing compressions 14 years ago in all weather and haven't looked back. More comfortable, no strap issues, fantastic.

Always cooler. I am still wearing the same pair of tights that I got my first year of umpiring, and well over 1000 games.

I have a pair of the McDavids (least favorite), I have a pair of the under armours, 2nd favorite, my very first no-name brand pair...favorite by far.

Kevin,

How do the SD's hold the cup? The McDaid's hold it low and it NEVER moves! One of the reasons I switched from the Smitty tights is it let the cup float away from me. I too a shot that slammed the cup up against me and I said enough!

If they are like the the compression shorts, I can't use the cup pocket even with their carbon fiber cup. It doesn't hold in place well I don't get the full effect of protection from underneath then occasionally when running one of the boys would escape and be extremely uncomfortable.

Kevin,

How do the SD's hold the cup? The McDaid's hold it low and it NEVER moves! One of the reasons I switched from the Smitty tights is it let the cup float away from me. I too a shot that slammed the cup up against me and I said enough!

I wear a jock under the tights. It's the safest way I've tried. It stays in place, and so does everything else.

I took Kyle's advice before the 2010 season (first year back in 15) .....and it was probably the best descision I made. I wear the Shock Doctors in any weather, Kyle's comment is spot-on, .... buttah!!

I picked up UA Cold Gear leggings at the UA factory store for $29 a couple weeks ago!

D!X, ...the Shock Doctors are really nice!

• Like 1

Are these the Under Armour compression tights referenced in this thread?

http://www.amazon.co...20351186&sr=8-5

EDIT: Just ordered them from the Under Armour site. They were $39.95 and they are offering free shipping to new customers. Can't wait to try them!

No.

It's these (which have the thicker waistband that I referred to) :

UA leggings at UA.com ... UA leggings at Amazon.com

21NWCOTQVwL._SS400_.jpg

They're called, Core Ventilated Leggings, and they're outstanding. The Shock Doctors are a close second. (If you go with the SDs, ditch that useless cup that comes with them. I don't know what it's for, but it's apparently not for baseball.)

No.

It's these (which have the thicker waistband that I referred to) :

UA leggings at UA.com ... UA leggings at Amazon.com

21NWCOTQVwL._SS400_.jpg

They're called, Core Ventilated Leggings, and they're outstanding. The Shock Doctors are a close second. (If you go with the SDs, ditch that useless cup that comes with them. I don't know what it's for, but it's apparently not for baseball.)

Thanks Kevin. I cancelled my order and upgraded to the Core Ventilated. Don't want to go with anything that has a cup pocket since I wear the Nutty Buddy, so the Shock Doctor is out. What kind of socks do you wear with these?

The problem I have had with any brand of leggings or shorts is the cup pocket is built for something but not a cup...nor for baseball...not even close for an umpire. I used to put a jock over top to try and help...not worth it, just crushed the boys as they invariably slide out of the side. The McDavids are the only type of compression that I have found that holds the cup where it needs to be held.

Don't tell me to but a Nutty...been there, done that, have the merit badge and t-shirt...threw it away after about 8 games of trying to get it work. Yes, it was placed over the compression and under a jock...the funny bulges on the side caught on my thighs and pulled the up and out away from me...not comfortable.

Don't tell me to but a Nutty...been there, done that, have the merit badge and t-shirt...threw it away after about 8 games of trying to get it work. Yes, it was placed over the compression and under a jock...the funny bulges on the side caught on my thighs and pulled the cup and out away from me...not comfortable.

I can't believe that you are the only other one, who reported this same problem.

The Nutty Buddy was fine for just standing there. But I couldn't walk, run or squat in the thing. And I find each of those movements critical to my game.

I actually returned mine in one of the more hilarious customer service calls I have ever made. I have to say, the woman was very gracious and professional.

Don't tell me to but a Nutty...been there, done that, have the merit badge and t-shirt...threw it away after about 8 games of trying to get it work. Yes, it was placed over the compression and under a jock...the funny bulges on the side caught on my thighs and pulled the cup and out away from me...not comfortable.

I can't believe that you are the only other one, who reported this same problem.

The Nutty Buddy was fine for just standing there. But I couldn't walk, run or squat in the thing. And I find each of those movements critical to my game.

I actually returned mine in one of the more hilarious customer service calls I have ever made. I have to say, the woman was very gracious and professional.

Speaking of cups .....here's mine ......hardly know it's on!

http://www.all-starsports.com/products.php?prod=183

Nutty Buddy seems to be a love it or hate it piece of equipment. It's the most comfortable and best protective cup I have even worn - I usually forget to take it off until I get home because it just doesn't occur to me. To each his own.

Don't tell me to but a Nutty...been there, done that, have the merit badge and t-shirt...threw it away after about 8 games of trying to get it work. Yes, it was placed over the compression and under a jock...the funny bulges on the side caught on my thighs and pulled the up and out away from me...not comfortable.

This was my experience with my first NB. I had the Mongo because that was what the size chart said to order. Way too big and caught my large thighs. Ordered 2 sizes smaller [insert joke here], and it works great now.

As far as a cup pouch on my shorts goes, I know they are useless, but I always wear compression shorts with the pouch, because my I always like to have a backup, of everything. The pouch is there in case I forget the jock or it breaks or something.

Nutty Buddy seems to be a love it or hate it piece of equipment. It's the most comfortable and best protective cup I have even worn - I usually forget to take it off until I get home because it just doesn't occur to me. To each his own.

I have driven home after games not realizing I still had my NB on. I would not trade it for anything!!! getting ready to buy a spare.

Soooo -

I work in the desert. 100 degrees, <10% humidity.

I have seven or eight pairs of Mcdavids all more than 7 years old and they are still in great shape. Well thats not entirely true because one pair has a little fraying from where the shin strap rubs.

The only time I dont like wearing them is when its about 60 degrees or so. That's too cool for them to be needed to cool but they add warmth thats not really needed.