Jobs which make people better umpires

Umpire in Chief
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5540 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Are there jobs you feel make people better or worse umpires?

For example I'm the Asst. HR Dir of my firm. I feel this does well for me because my full time job is half babysitting, plus hiring and firing, dealing with difficult people and situations, using sound judgement and making difficult decisions quickly.

I would think this helps me be a better umpire, yet I still don't always pull the trigger when I should on the field.

I believe military and police tend to do very well.

While I don't know any umpires who are, I would guess that ultra-creative types like artists, musicians, actors would be worse as creativity and staying with in the rules and their interpretations is generally not a strength of artistic type people.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which came first, the job or the type of personality that makes you right for the job? It's the chicken and egg thing.

I think you find certain professions are higher in number because of availability. I see a high number of police, fire fighters, and educators (teaching and administrators). These are people who have a schedule that is open (or can be made to be open) for after school activities.

I'm an accountant by training. You don't see a lot of accountants or HR folks because they are usually working a full week (9 to 5). I know nobody works 9-5 anymore. Depending on your industry and company, your responsibilities may leave you with flex hours.

I didn't start umpiring until I was 46 because my job (and commute) took all my time. Now that I'm a consultant, and am currently able to work out of my house, I have plenty of time to umpire (and ref football and soon wrestling). I can put my hours in after a game. Unfortunately, my company can send me on the road for 5 - 6 months, commuting on a weekly basis from NJ to VA or CA. If that happens I may seek out a local association and see if I can get games. When I get home on weekends I'm not sure I want to spend my time on a ball field when I have so little time to be with my family. And boy would I miss it.

I see a lot of teachers, especially phys ed teachers. Many times it has less to do with an occupation but whether they were a catcher. Most umpires I know were catchers and pick it up quicker than guys that played other positions. Myself, I was a centerfielder so I spent countless hrs teaching myself the ins and outs of a balk.

Browbeat, henpecked, abused husbands make good umpires. They have learned to ignore the worst heckling imaginable. Like the football ref in the commercial. :o

I believe military and police tend to do very well.

Hey all,

I think the fact I work in a prison helps with having to make split second decisions that that are, at least according to some of the parents, managers and coaches involved, potentially life or death situations.:mad::o

Bigdog:cool:

As a contract killer, I make for an excellent umpire. When doing the plate, I carry 1 ball bag on my left and holster my Glock on my right side. I do not start the game with "Play". I simply fire a warning shot over my partner's head. Helps him focus and let's EVERYONE know that I am in charge. Absolutely no arguments, no check swing appeals, no nonsense at all. Games are surprisingly quick. No! I have never shot anyone during a game. Ammo is too expensive to waste.

As a contract killer, I make for an excellent umpire. When doing the plate, I carry 1 ball bag on my left and holster my Glock on my right side. I do not start the game with "Play". I simply fire a warning shot over my partner's head. Helps him focus and let's EVERYONE know that I am in charge. Absolutely no arguments, no check swing appeals, no nonsense at all. Games are surprisingly quick. No! I have never shot anyone during a game. Ammo is too expensive to waste.

This is great!:o You could try getting a Barrett .50 Cal with a bi-pod and standing it up just outside the cut out, that should say all that needs to be said.

Browbeat, henpecked, abused husbands make good umpires. They have learned to ignore the worst heckling imaginable. Like the football ref in the commercial. :D

Hey all,

I think the fact I work in a prison helps with having to make split second decisions that that are, at least according to some of the parents, managers and coaches involved, potentially life or death situations.:mad::o

Great responses!

Poppy: you need to move here to Moyock wih Ump81 & I. Blackwater USA is always looking for civilian contractors and I hear they pay really well too.

Fall ball starts this week and I have been contacted by SEVERAL league administators who require my expertise in my professional field. Something about rats. Don't know yet about their wallets---so I may or may not be very busy. Moyock pay well? Wiling to do a freebie up there as a courtesy to a fellow brother in blue. PM me if I can help. I do Evaluators at discount. Jack

Hey all,

I CALL BS.....:mad:

First you say that you just fire a warning shot over your partner's head, then you say ammo is too expensive to waste. So, WHICH IS IT?????:o

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppyfor3

Kyle_Stevens

This is great! You could try getting a Barrett .50 Cal with a bi-pod and standing it up just outside the cut out, that should say all that needs to be said.

Definately personnifies the meaning of 'Large and in charge!' huh?

BIG DOG--Wanted to keep my post short--my bad. My FIRST SHOT is a blank--real cheap--especially considering the results. Not even my partners know this. But as one said "Gives new meaning to a bang bang play at the plate." Hope that sets your mind to rest. Jack

Hey all,

If you said you fire the warning shot over the MANAGER'S head, then it would be JUSTIFIED!!:mad:

Big dog---Which manager?? See my problem? If it's the home team, then the visiting manager wants one too. If it's the visiting manager, then you JUST KNOW THEY'LL BE WHINING about a "homer" ump. Easier and CHEAPER for game management simply to get my BU involved. Then, of course, there is the issue of my aim. But that's a LONG story.

At the risk of coming off badly, I am going to offer the following. Its kind of back on topic, but slightly off center...

I am not sure any specific job has an impact on making better or worse umpires, but I have found over the years that "income level" seems to.....

I am not talking about young people doing kid games for spending money.

I have found in my associations that prospective umpires who apply to be umpires for the "extra money" are usually less sucessful. They are usually the less rules educated, less well equiped and less likely to stick to the sport......

I do not umpire for free, but after all my expenses (unis, clinics, registrations), I could do better financially as a greeter at Walmart.....its more than just money to me.....I do not turn it down, and I have enjoyed every penny the game has afforded me.

any thoughts?

I

Absolutely, I think you hit the nail on the head. Several guys who I have worked with that are doing it for the money are not only have poor knowledge of rules and/or equipment but are lacking in their mechanics and game management. These are the guys that are normally spectating during the game instead of moving into position or taking care of their responsibilities. Also, they are quick to pull the trigger on an ej.

I am sure there are exceptions to the rule; this is just from personal experience.

• 2 weeks later...

I have found that some fire/saftey/police can work the best. I haven't had any work for me in a while but I have worked games with them before. Former and current, not short time but long term military personel are good too. They can often work mechanics like a machine.

Most of my umpires are just everyday, working whatever type people. I have tried to get HS coaches and others but have had no success. I have one school teacher. He is one of my best umpires but he likes to talk to coaches and players too much. It is going to get him in trouble.

I have a federal agent that works airliners as his job. He is an air-marshall. He has the gun on the plane. He is an average umpire but his gun is his biggest attirbute. He brags about his gun all the time. He loves his gun. He will take it on the field with him if he could.

The best umpires are the ones that you pick out. You pick them from the ball fields. They are coaches, former coaches and usually the best are the teenage players. These you can train to what you would like them to do in games and situations. There can be problems with scheduling them later in the season because they would rather party, mess with girls or just maybe football practice has started or that they have a job at McDonalds.

• 2 weeks later...

I got started umpiring with Little League when I was stationed at Langley AFB in Hampton VA (2002 - 2005, when I retired from the AF). At the time, I was an inspector on the Air Combat Command Inspector General team, we went all over the country & inspected the different ACC units/bases. I'd say that being an IG inspector helped me a great deal with umpiring. The main reason is that as an inspector, all you do is look at the same programs/operations at all the different units, apply the grading criteria and assign the grade.

Since nobody wants to be known for getting an "Unsat" on an inspection, sometimes the unit members can be very defensive and confrontational (any of this sounding familiar out there? :cool:). My time on the IG Team got me more accustomed to dealing with different personalities, able to recall / cite some lesser-known but important references, as well as defend a particular grade in order to get it into the inspection report.

I'd be lying if I claimed it made me infallible, I've still had my share of missed calls, etc. But, I'm very certain that I would not have been as good as I could be. Thanks for the chance to contribute to the discussion.

As an aside, the guy who got me started was one of our aircraft maintenance inspectors.

• 4 months later...

Originally Posted by poppyfor3

--------------------------------------------

Poppyfor3, I used to work games in the Baltimore area, and one of the leagues we handled was a so-called "adult league," though not too many of the players acted as such, if you catch my drift. But they did take the games very seriously even if their skill level was not up to par.

My partner was catching hell during one game, and even after the game when we had changed and were exiting the dressing room, two guys from one team were intent on continuing their "discussion" about some of his calls. They followed as we walked to the car. My partner said not a word, but upon reaching his car he opened the trunk and motioned for the loudest of the two to come look. He quietly pointed to his Baltimore Police Department service weapon lying in the trunk, and when the guy got this frightened look on his face, my partner simply said, "Yep, in a New York minute, my man." End of discussion.