ASA Certified

Zippy
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5133 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am......it's like almost everything else, you take a test, pay a fee, and then hopefully find an association that does ASA. Then most of these places require you to buy their shirt, their socks, their hat, as well as their ball bag. This allows you to do any of their major level stuff.

My sequence is a little different...I paid the fee, joined the association, took the test. If I work ASA games I wear the hat, shirt, and bag. While I have the shorts and socks, I just don't see myself doing slow-pitch yet.

I just found out that for the local NCAA association you have to be ASA certified. I plan on hooking up with them next year.

I also do ASA. I was always a baseball guy but in my 3rd year of fast pitch, I'm loving it! Cost is 35 bucks, take the test, (open book). Pay attention to, and learn rule 4 section 3, the DP/Flex rule. The drawbacks are the uniform requirements. As stated above. you MUST wear the ASA clothing. The hats are nice but the shirts are heavy and uncomfortable and the collar is , IMO, too big. The training you will have access to is super. However, another drawback. Speaking for my area, others may be different, clinics cost $30 and you need to attend to advance to States. National Qualifiers and Nationals. Although there is usually a vendor selling uniforms and gear, and the feed us lunch. Clinics last about 4-5 hours and the instructors are top-notch. At the upper age groups the compition and level of play is awesome. I've gotten to see some late season action where some of the players have gotten scholarships and signed letters of intent. Pretty exciting stuff to see.

Edited by padist4ump
insert sentence

I just checked and the Kansas ASA chapter charges $50 for the test packet and all of the manuals and materials. Yeah, it's a bit pricey once you add in all of the extra uniform stuff, but with the abundance of ASA tournaments in my area, I should have plenty of dates to pay them off and then some.

However, another drawback. Speaking for my area, others may be different, clinics cost $30 and you need to attend to advance to States. National Qualifiers and Nationals. Although there is usually a vendor selling uniforms and gear, and the feed us lunch. Clinics last about 4-5 hours and the instructors are top-notch.

Why is that a drawback? I wish I only paid $30 for baseball clinics.

I guess I feel since I pay 35 per year for my membership dues, buy the officially licenced ASA uniforms they require, and attend the clinics I need for advancement, they should cut us a break. Clinics are held in a donated or low cost facility, ie: a firehall, community center, local rec building, no cost for fields as the ones in my area are classroom only and the instructors a volunteers. Furthermore,absolutlely none of the funds benefit our local chapter. But as I stated above, super instuctors, and a good lunch. You also have time to meet other umpires and trade war stories.