Whining

Umpire in Chief
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5397 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I agree with JM and others. There is no place in umpiring for taking a pitch like the one discribed and purposely calling it a strike as a way of getting back at some one. It will lead to more problems then it is worth.

As for Mr. Umpire and the 1BC. I find myself with a little bit of inner pride calling an out on a CLOSE play at first with the coach trying to get a safe call. However it is an afterthought and not something that I will use in my judgement of the call. I feel it would take to long on the call and could gather you some grief because most good coaches will know what you are doing and some could even try and turn it on you by calling the kid out to see what you do.

I also will tell the coach that "i dont need his help" on these plays. Most of them get the idea and will stop. However if they do not stop with the safe signs (this is purposely not doing it just as a reaction since they do it "all season" and at times they forget) then it involves an official warning and if it continues it should be considered arguing a judgement call and warrants an ejection.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chalking this one up as a "learning curve", after reading your guys's thoughts (including JM's, I did ask for opinions) I will be rethinking my course of actions next time leading up to these situations.

I guess what I am getting from your opinion's is look to "remove" the source of the problem as opposed to "correcting" it? yesno

Thanks for the input...

Chalking this one up as a "learning curve", after reading your guys's thoughts (including JM's, I did ask for opinions) I will be rethinking my course of actions next time leading up to these situations.

I guess what I am getting from your opinion's is look to "remove" the source of the problem as opposed to "correcting" it? yesno

Thanks for the input...

Yes. Let the coach correct it. You remove it from your game. Exactly.

Thanks for the input...

exactly. And if you REMOVE the problem there is no need for you to consider CORRECTING it.:question1:

As for Mr. Umpire and the 1BC. I find myself with a little bit of inner pride calling an out on a CLOSE play at first with the coach trying to get a safe call. However it is an afterthought and not something that I will use in my judgement of the call. I feel it would take to long on the call and could gather you some grief because most good coaches will know what you are doing and some could even try and turn it on you by calling the kid out to see what you do.

Then, I agree with them and call the runner out just to appease them. I don't want them to think I am ignoring them.:P