Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
semper_fi_72

My Last Frosh Game

Worked my second and last Frosh Game today.

1 hour 3 minutes.

3 innings, HT loses 16-0.

After top of 3rd HC asks what is the mercy rule.

I reply, there is no mercy rule but you can call the game anytime you want.

His response is we will bat and then go ahead and call the game.

I advise VHC.

3 Up 3 Down...3 perfect innings for Visiting F1.

That was an easy $70.

Now just waiting for Assignor to schedule me to some Varsity Games.

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

Most States have a 10 run rule after 5. Games under that for Varsity that are called early, typically have to be reported for weather, etc.; but a min of 5 need to be played. If a coach wants to shorten a game, sometimes that happens.

Okay I've always been curious what is frosh? Is it another term for JV?

In my association if you say you aren't going to work a certain level/league/team without really good reason you won't be working at all. I'd love to say I'm not working at PLL (for you guys who know) because they play horrible, the parents are terrible and so are the coaches. But I have to go when assigned and know it's just my turn in the barrel.

In my association we consider going there as "taking one for the team." Even though they are one of the highest paying leagues I doubt there are too many umpires who feel it is worth it. I thing our commish does a good job of spreading around the misery there.

Worked my second and last Frosh Game today.

1 hour 3 minutes.

3 innings, HT loses 16-0.

After top of 3rd HC asks what is the mercy rule.

I reply, there is no mercy rule but you can call the game anytime you want.

His response is we will bat and then go ahead and call the game.

I advise VHC.

3 Up 3 Down...3 perfect innings for Visiting F1.

That was an easy $70.

Now just waiting for Assignor to schedule me to some Varsity Games.

$70 for a subvarsity game? :fuel:

Oh- wait... you live in Colly-fohn-ia. How are those taxes working out for ya? ;)

frosh   /frɒʃ/ Show Spelled[frosh] Show IPA

–noun,pluralfrosh. Informal.

a college or high-school freshman.

frosh

student colloquial shortening and alteration of freshman, attested by 1915.

so is ther frosh then JV then Varsity?

That's the case out where I am... although some larger schools split them different ways...

they might have Frosh, Soph, then varsity..(3 teams)... other schools mix frosh with JV and then varsity (two teams).

There are other variations, too - so out here we just refer to anything that's not varsity as "subvarsity", and the pay of course is slightly less for the subvarsity stuff.

Interesting...

Heck, I know of one school that has "B" and "C" squads that make up their JV teams.

Then you have some smaller schools (like one I had last week) with just 11 players on the varsity roster. I'll refrain from telling you about their pitchers.... yikes. ;)

Edited by BrianC14

Don't forget that at least one school in our area has two freshman teams, a Sophomore team, a Junior Varsity team, and a Varsity team. The only school in the area, that I have ever seen a kid throwing in the low to mid 80's only on the JV team.

Most of the schools in our area have Varsity, JV and Freshman teams in most sports. The smaller schools will eliminate the Frosh first, then JV if there aren't enough players.

All 3 levels play the same day against the same school (assuming that school has all 3 levels). The V & JV are at one school, the Frosh are at the other school. The irony is that as frosh, they get to play on the V field, but as soph/jr on the JV squad, they play on the lesser JV field before getting back to the V field.

This is a generalization, there are many individual exceptions both at the school and player level. We have 43 schools in our area and, for bb & sb, this is the way they do it.:2cents:

Frosh = Freshman

As stated some schools have Freshman, JV and Varsity.

It was my last Frosh Game because I was evaluated a couple of weeks ago and moved up to work Varsity. :2cents:

We do not have a mercy rule but coaches have the option to call the game at anytime. It was a wise choice on his part to call it.

16 runs, 9 outs and a few left on base. Vistors were batting thru the order each inning and the home team could not catch a ball if it landed in their glove. Seen better LL Minor teams.

In California there is a real good chance that there will be no school funded Freshman programs and JV may be impacted also. State does not have the money.

In regard to the question about taxes, not a problem, at least for me. :stir

Here in N. Illinois most teams have a Freshman, Sophomore, and Varsity teams. They also play "JV" games (mostly on the back end of a DH) with kids on the varsity team that don't get a lot of playing time. Some schools also have a Freshman "B" team

Oregon is the same way. Freshman and JV are both considered subvarsity. Frosh gets less than JV which gets less than Varsity.

Im dying for a varsity game. All assignments have been JV. But I'm also the new kid in the state.