Cap Creasing

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4069 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

First of all ......

that's a "spring training" picture or uniform, and secondly, I'm talking about umpires at a professional level wearing a pro-mesh cap, which, everyone else would think you were referring to also....

I wasn't. I was referring to professional baseball in general.

post-2250-0-33194900-1359603430.gif

Here's the hat we're REQUIRED to wear in Tn.  No other options available.  I'm mediocre at best but I've seen some really good umps have really good games despite having little holes in their cap.  

Back to the topic - I get that you're "suppose" to crease your cap because all the cool kids do it, but what's the origin of it?  Why is it the standard for umpires?  

I'm just guessing, but I would think it has to do with packing caps in suitcases for travel. Pro umpires are on the road all the time, and someone probably developed cap creasing to prevent them from getting crushed. Crease it and lay it flat and it comes out looking great. I would guess amateur umpires followed suit thinking it makes them look more professional and it grew from there.

As I said, a complete guess, but a logical one anyway.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

attachicon.gifa6473b7135ca2b6a2bfd61_m.gif

Here's the hat we're REQUIRED to wear in Tn.  No other options available.  I'm mediocre at best but I've seen some really good umps have really good games despite having little holes in their cap.  

Back to the topic - I get that you're "suppose" to crease your cap because all the cool kids do it, but what's the origin of it?  Why is it the standard for umpires?  

Really? You can't buy a nice Richardson or New Era wool fitted hat and have the Tennessee association logo embroidered or applied to it? That sounds pretty heavy-handed to me.

You are "supposed" to crease your hat because it looks very professional, and because the professionals do it, and not just because it looks cool, even though it really does.

I'm just guessing, but I would think it has to do with packing caps in suitcases for travel. Pro umpires are on the road all the time, and someone probably developed cap creasing to prevent them from getting crushed. Crease it and lay it flat and it comes out looking great.

As I said, a complete guess, but a logical one anyway.

One of our umpires told me this is why it originated.  He's an umpire school grad, minor-league offer / college guy, so he's been there/done that.  Said it helps with the packing/rolling/unrolling.  

We creased our caps as kids.  This was before the front of the cap was "pre-creased" by the stiff material used in the front of caps.  IMHO it is stupid to crease a cap that has the stiff material for the crease.

Now if you have to pack it, that is a different story and there is a particular way to fold it because that stiff material does have "memory."

I recently drank the koolade and started creasing. Seems every single umpire I admire and respect creases. The guys I learn from do it. Plus, they showed us how at our very 1st HS meeting. It's expected.

Right.  The pros do it for a practical reason.  Then some wannabee thinks it looks cool so he does it even though ti serves no practical reason.  Now everyone wants to do it.

Reminds me of the three generations of women in the kitchen.  The youngest is making a roast beef and cuts the ends off before she puts it in the pan. Her husband aasks why she does it and she says because thats what my mom does.  So the husband goes to his mother in law and asks why and gets the same answer of because thats what MY mother does.  So the husband goes to the grandmonter and asks.  She says "because I had a small pan and this was to get it to fit."

Right. The pros do it for a practical reason. Then some wannabee thinks it looks cool so he does it even though ti serves no practical reason. "

I disagree

Many of us are in several associations and have alot of hats.

Right. The pros do it for a practical reason. Then some wannabee thinks it looks cool so he does it even though ti serves no practical reason. "

I disagreeattachicon.gifIMAG0021-1.jpgattachicon.gifIMAG0022-1.jpgMany of us are in several associations and have alot of hats. Is that a mesh hat I see?  Loser...  :wave:yes it is :shakehead: I know. I deserve it. That's what happens when you wait too long to buy your hats and they're out of your size. :bang:

I disagree

Many of us are in several associations and have alot of hats.

I have at least that many hats and probably twice as many and have no reason to crease any of them except for one group that insists on it.

As my grandpa used to say (translated) it don't make me no never mind, but there's no practical reason for most of us to do it.

Unlike Major League umpires, most non-pro umpires have to make one or two hats last a season or two. Unlike players we can not go out on the field with soiled misshaped hats. Creasing the cap allows for the crown of the cap to stay rounded/flat without the cap collapsing at the crown. Folding the caps does allow for easy packing of the cap when space is limited in the gear bag. A properly creased cap should fold nicely and neatly into a very low profile. The creases allow for the hat to quickly snap back into shape. Here are a few pics of how I store caps during the season. I use a Lids cap caddie. I can comfortably store 10-11 caps with creases in the case. Without the creases maybe five before the crowns become crushed.

20130305_142142_zps22572556.jpg

Case with 11 caps......

20130305_142256_zps46d7c6f1.jpg

Folding technique for limited space/ travel

20130305_143046_zps5b0a0bb6.jpg

• Like 1