Issue with Poly Wool base pants

johnnyg08
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4617 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Good afternoon. Last night, while I was changing out of my base gear, I was taking off my poly-wool pants and the waist line was literally sticking to my shirt. It sounded like peeling tape off of a cardboard box.

My jersey is ruined. I store my gear in my air conditioned home, it's only in my car (in a garment bag) for the road trip, which yesterday was about 10 minutes.

Take a look at the picture, let me know your thoughts. I have contacted the dealer (The "H" company) and I haven't received a response in return. They did say that they'd get back to me on Monday.

See photo.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first question would be, what did you wash them with?

Something degraded the rubber in the waist of the pants that caused it to adhere to the shirt.

You don't say how old the pants are.

Also, although the shirt has the material from the waist band on it, I wouldn't consider it ruined. That will be inside your pants and not show won't it?

Therefore you might be able to still wear it.

Would like to hear what the company says.

The rubber on your shirt can come out. You can take it to any dry cleaner to get it out. If you were near Florida I could get it out for you. That should be an easy fix. Not sure on the pants thou. I am like Semper FI something is causing the rubber to break down and degrade.

My first question would be, what did you wash them with?

Something degraded the rubber in the waist of the pants that caused it to adhere to the shirt.

You don't say how old the pants are.

Also, although the shirt has the material from the waist band on it, I wouldn't consider it ruined. That will be inside your pants and not show won't it?

Therefore you might be able to still wear it.

Would like to hear what the company says.

Fair questions.

I have only dry cleaned the pants. I have never machine washed or dried them not even one time.

The base pants are a couple of years old. I only umpire from about April to August about 80 games per year.

While I agree that the part will be tucked in, I don't think it is reasonable for me to ignore the fact that something from the poly-wools came from the pants to the shirt and after two washes, still hasn't come off.

I will follow up with the response from the company.

The rubber on your shirt can come out. You can take it to any dry cleaner to get it out. If you were near Florida I could get it out for you. That should be an easy fix. Not sure on the pants thou. I am like Semper FI something is causing the rubber to break down and degrade.

Thanks for your replies. I think the rubber will come out especially after what both of you have written. After two washes, it certainly looks different, but it is still there. Would something like Goo-Gone work on the fabric or would it ruin the fabric???

I'd prefer to get it out, the shirt is still good otherwise.

I used it on one of my cream shirts. My daughter left a blue marker in her clothes and it got all over my shirts. I ended up buying the same cleaning system that dry cleaners use. And it took it all out of my shirts. No problems. Goo Gone got most of it out also just not all and still could see the blue.

I have had that happen with dress pants before...let's face it...these are essentially dress pants. I thought my shirt was ruined as well....sat down on the couch and just started rubbing the residue off with my fingers...btw...my dress slacks were dry clean only...I think over time it softens the rubber and it sticks when it gets hot...never had trouble when it's cold.

I have had that happen with dress pants before...let's face it...these are essentially dress pants. I thought my shirt was ruined as well....sat down on the couch and just started rubbing the residue off with my fingers...btw...my dress slacks were dry clean only...I think over time it softens the rubber and it sticks when it gets hot...never had trouble when it's cold.

Well, the pants are probably shot, but hopefully I can save my shirt.

I guess I thought the pants would fade out and become garbage before the rubber failed along the waist line. I work far more plates than bases over the course of a year so it really surprises me that this occurred so soon.

Just an update...I spoke w/ Honigs on the telephone last week and it seemed like we were going to try and work something out.

If I have time tomorrow, I will call them, because it doesn't seem like they're going out of their way to call me back.

I've washed my shirt three times now and worn it once, but the track marks are still there...certainly not as prominent, but still there.

It has been 105+ degrees here in the south on a steady basis. I don't know if you live in the south, but that could possibly have something to do with the rubber wearing away. Not too likely, but a thought none the less.

I haven't noticed any residue but I did notice some significant sticking of the shirt to the inner waistband where the rubber is located on my Poly-Wools this summer. No idea for sure what is causing it but it has been over 100 for all of these games I notice this happening.

Hasn't affected my shirts as the sticking is where I tuck them in so it doesn't show anyway.

Interested in who else this is happening to and what else is being said about it and the cause.

I haven't noticed any residue but I did notice some significant sticking of the shirt to the inner waistband where the rubber is located on my Poly-Wools this summer. No idea for sure what is causing it but it has been over 100 for all of these games I notice this happening.

Hasn't affected my shirts as the sticking is where I tuck them in so it doesn't show anyway.

Interested in who else this is happening to and what else is being said about it and the cause.

I would encourage you to please contact Honigs. According to the gentleman at Honigs, he's only seen this twice in his career. At least let them know that there's more to it than my isolated case, that he thinks is all my fault.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to follow up with my experience with Honigs on the issue with my poly wool pants. After working very closely with their returns/customer service department, we played a little bit of phone tag and I will say that Honigs stood by their product 100%. In my opinion, they went above and beyond what they had to do to do the right thing for the customer.

So, thank you Honigs.