Look what I found ??

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4629 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Thunder...If I follow...the 12" would measure 11"'s in front and 12"'s on the sides?

Makes it hard...12 is too short and 15 is too long...in this case too long would be better than too short.

I just think this rig is going to be a home run....

Thunder...If I follow...the 12" would measure 11"'s in front and 12"'s on the sides?

Makes it hard...12 is too short and 15 is too long...in this case too long would be better than too short.

I just think this rig is going to be a home run....

No, I'm wrong ....

The 12 is 12" inches in front and protects like a 13 on the ribs

The 15 is 15" inches in front and protects like a 16 would, but ......

I have a 15 Douglas and the All-Star is shorter in front....remember, the All-Star sits a lot higher than others ....

Back off a little. We...at least I... Had no idea we were on a testing committee. All-star simply contacted us and asked for input as they designed their new CP. My involvement was probably due to feedback and past dealings I have had with all-star in relation to my MVP4000. All our work involved was providing initial ideas and then comments on pictures that were sent by All-star. No strings attached.I was surprised when I received the CP in the mail. I happened to get it end of June or early July. My umpire season starts in early February and typically ends in early June. Not a lot of ball going on around here once the district tournaments as over in Little League.If I had received the CP earlier I would have worn it more. The majority of my work this year was HS ball (February-May), and several games in a college summer league over the summer. The city where I live has a little league season that runs from March-May. Just not a lot of summer ball that is close enough to justify the drive. I would lose money not getting mileage and only game fees.It was an honor to be asked to help with the gear design. Sorry if my selection offended some. I call as many games as I can and also have time to spend with my family. If there had been more games around after I got the gear I would have called more.

I also was one of the "testers". I think that all of us were pleasently surprised to be able to test the prototype. We provided input for many months without any expectations.

As for the timing and the amount of use some of us were able to use the gear I will say that most of my comments (both good and constructive) were formed in the first game and mostly reenforced over the following games. I will also say that the more I used the CPU-4000 the less I thought about the other CP's that I own. This reig was spot on out of the box and got better. Based on inspection alone, the first game that I used this in was an adult wood bat game.

As for shin guards I am confident that there is something in the works from All Star that will complement the CPU-4000 very nicely. This gear is technically being released for the 2012 season.

NWAump ....

Dimensions........ the 12 protects the ribs like a 13 ..... the 15 has a 15" front, protects like a 16

EDIT: Dimensions are now correct....

6025079777_7aaa148b38_b.jpg

Thunderheads thanks for the updates. Not sure if this is a protoype or final version but would like to pass along to the folks at All-Satr that I'm not a fan of the plastic buckles. It only take "one" foul ball to ruin your day (and your equipment). It's happened to me and it was a pain trying to replace it. Metal that doesn't rust is preferable. Another thing noticed albeit less critical are the rivets. I wear a couple of different models of hard shell CP and end up painting them black each season so they can't be seen through my shirt. I think the WV Plat. got this one right. Thanks again for the info.

It might be easy...from what I'm reading they gave a CP to some guy to test who only wore it for like 10 games.

YES, what Slo8140 said, .... back off. 10 games worn BEFORE I reviewed it.

Don't be a hater because you weren't involved :shakehead:

NoCal Blue...

I have never understood the issue with the plastic buckles. I have a soft shell, it's 3 years old and I have had no issues with the buckles. The design of the CP keeps the buckles out of the way...they attach on the sides and get pulled around from there. Even if they get hit it would be at such an odd angle that I doubt any damage would be done. If the Gold or Plat had plastic buckles...and no adjustment in attachment location was done...I might see an issue. But I think they are easy to handle, secure and have a small chance of being damaged or even hit in their current location...

The plastic buckles on the All Star CPU-4000 model are more on the sides than in the front. While I would never say never, it seems as though they might be tough to get hit. With some other CP's the buckles are more to the front.

It might be easy...from what I'm reading they gave a CP to some guy to test who only wore it for like 10 games.

Lighten up...a little sensitive aren't we?

I couldn't care less if I was involved in testing it out or not...Based on the final product, it seems like they did pretty well without me and many others.

My comment had absolutely nothing to do w/ sour grapes...absolutely nothing. I will be buying one regardless. Find something else to misinterpret besides my post.

NoCal Blue...

I have never understood the issue with the plastic buckles. I have a soft shell, it's 3 years old and I have had no issues with the buckles. The design of the CP keeps the buckles out of the way...they attach on the sides and get pulled around from there. Even if they get hit it would be at such an odd angle that I doubt any damage would be done. If the Gold or Plat had plastic buckles...and no adjustment in attachment location was done...I might see an issue. But I think they are easy to handle, secure and have a small chance of being damaged or even hit in their current location...

NWA_Ump,

I understand there may by a smaller probability of impact due to the location of the buckles. My issue is that if they are broken for what ever reason, repair and or replacement is not a simple process (at least not in my experience). A metal clip or attachment eliminates the issue adding value to the CP. In reading through the posts, I was under the impression that the All-Star CP is still being developed. If I'm wrong and this is the final version, I guess we'll have to see if it proves to be as solid as it looks. In the meantime, I'll stick with my Douglas, WV and Champion protectors.

Very sensitive.

Actually, replacing those plastic buckles is quite easy. I've got a military backpack that I've had to replace a couple of buckles on (3 day assault pack). The replacements have a 45 degree cut on them to allow the sewn strap loop to be inserted into. It's a 30 second operation to cut off a broken one, and install a new one. Honest.

Plastic buckles, off to the side, are the way to go. No more unsightly lumps on the front of my shirts.

I couldn't care less if I was involved in testing it out or not...Based on the final product, it seems like they did pretty well without me and many others.

My comment had absolutely nothing to do w/ sour grapes...absolutely nothing. I will be buying one regardless. Find something else to misinterpret besides my post.

Ok, I'll buy that, it wasn't sour grapes, my fault, that wasn't the right thing to say on my part. But....

Misinterpret ??

So you're saying your comment wasn't 'smartass' in nature whatsoever?

Your comment was off-handed and it's apparent because Slo8140 took it the same way. I wasn't the first person to say back-off. If Slo did, and I did, I'm sure someone else did as well....

So, ... not so sensitive....

Very sensitive.

I'd expect nothing less from you .... good opportunity for you to jump in .....perfect :jerkit:

I've moved on guys. If my original comment ruffled feathers, it certainly wasn't meant to do that, in fact, I wrongly thought it was a bit humorous. So my apologies for making a comment that upset people.

Okay...moving on...this is too good of a board for back and forth bickering about nothing.

I've moved on guys. If my original comment ruffled feathers, it certainly wasn't meant to do that, in fact, I wrongly thought it was a bit humorous. So my apologies for making a comment that upset people.

Okay...moving on...this is too good of a board for back and forth bickering about nothing.

cool johnnyg08, thanks ........there are other sites for bickering for sure! I very well may have misread or just flat out took it the wrong way ....if it was meant to be humerous, now that I know that, ...I can see that now that you mentioned it ...just seemed like a quip to me, ...if not, ...my bad :bang:

All-Star Leg Guards

I thought I would continue this thread instead of starting a new one.

I really like the products that All-Star has rolled out for 2012. I held off on buying new leg guards this past summer only because I knew these were coming out. Did anyone here get a chance to test these? Any reviews? I think they look great but would like to hear feedback.

All-Star Leg Guards

I thought I would continue this thread instead of starting a new one.

I really like the products that All-Star has rolled out for 2012. I held off on buying new leg guards this past summer only because I knew these were coming out. Did anyone here get a chance to test these? Any reviews? I think they look great but would like to hear feedback.

I did also. Very nice.....fit well, light, comfy, pretty darn low profile ..... cool .... very ncie!:meditation: