why are there no NCAA Umpire Camps in Texas

umpire08
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5190 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

hey there this is umpire08 and here is the revised version of my question i don't know why the ncaa does not hold for (ex ) since the big 12 Admin Offices are in Texas why is there not a camp held at somewhere like College Station at Olsen fleld home of aggie baseball thanks hope this helps

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a Clinic is Dallas..Just have to look around a bit. Oh yea its free too..but you need to sign up.

2010 UMPIRE CLINIC

DALLAS, TEXAS

January 9, 2010

Sheraton Dallas Hotel

214 + 303 - 4145

Friday, January 8

Officials Arrival

Saturday, January 9

7:00 - 8:00

Mountain West Conference Staff Meeting

7:30 - 8:30

Registration

8:30 - 9:15*

NCAA General Session

Welcome/Announcements

9:15 - 10:30*

NCAA Rules

10:30 - 11:30*

NCAA Situations/Leadership

11:30 - 1:00

Lunch (on your own)

Big 12 Conference Staff Meeting

1:00 - 2:30*

NCAA Mechanics

2:30 - 3:30*

NCAA General Session

3:45 - 5:00

Missouri Valley Conference Staff Meeting

Conference USA Staff Meeting

Good question since the Past UIC for NCAA was from Texas.

There is a Clinic is Dallas..Just have to look around a bit. Oh yea its free too..but you need to sign up.

2010 UMPIRE CLINIC

DALLAS, TEXAS

January 9, 2010

Sheraton Dallas Hotel

214 + 303 - 4145

Friday, January 8

Officials Arrival

Saturday, January 9

7:00 - 8:00

Mountain West Conference Staff Meeting

7:30 - 8:30

Registration

8:30 - 9:15*

NCAA General Session

Welcome/Announcements

9:15 - 10:30*

NCAA Rules

10:30 - 11:30*

NCAA Situations/Leadership

Lunch (on your own)

Big 12 Conference Staff Meeting

1:00 - 2:30*

NCAA Mechanics

2:30 - 3:30*

NCAA General Session

3:45 - 5:00

Missouri Valley Conference Staff Meeting

Conference USA Staff Meeting

Though both of these are correct I dont think this is what he is looking for (for the record, the new UIC is in Idaho... but I dont know if there will be anything there in a long time).

Umpire08, you can give it a try to get into the NCAA clinic in Dallas but I dont think it will do you much good as it is mainly an informational meeting. My recommendation would be to try and find out who the local contact is to start working Junior College, NAIA and D3 games in your area is. After that they should have training to help you further your career.

Best of luck.

Though both of these are correct I dont think this is what he is looking for (for the record, the new UIC is in Idaho... but I dont know if there will be anything there in a long time).

Umpire08, you can give it a try to get into the NCAA clinic in Dallas but I dont think it will do you much good as it is mainly an informational meeting. My recommendation would be to try and find out who the local contact is to start working Junior College, NAIA and D3 games in your area is. After that they should have training to help you further your career.

Best of luck.

actually they go over a lot of Mechanics, rules, and handling situations... there is a really good video from last year at the San Diego clinic they uploaded for people to see.

actually they go over a lot of Mechanics, rules, and handling situations... there is a really good video from last year at the San Diego clinic they uploaded for people to see.

I was in San Diego last year. Will have to check it out and see if I am there. Hopefully they do it again since I decided to move away from where the west coast clinic is at this year and wont be able to make it.

I was in San Diego last year. Will have to check it out and see if I am there. Hopefully they do it again since I decided to move away from where the west coast clinic is at this year and wont be able to make it.

man you moved away from San Diego? wow your new job must have been really good and paid well.. Im from Tacoma which is just 130 miles north of Portland, and I really like Portland but San Diego .. n ice and the golf is great.

man you moved away from San Diego? wow your new job must have been really good and paid well.. Im from Tacoma which is just 130 miles north of Portland, and I really like Portland but San Diego .. n ice and the golf is great.

Hey, I didnt say anything about LIVING in San Diego. I was living in LA and needed out. My wife's job moved us up here and we took the opportunity to do so in a place that we thought might be good to raise a family in.

As for my work. Sadly was on of the 10-12% of Californians that were laid off last year. Hardest thing right now is forcing myself to try and get back into the work force, being off for so long.

Oh as for the golfing... yes it is great. San Diego actually has the most number of golf courses per capita in the whole of the United States. To bad I never picked up the game really. What I did like about SoCal though (which is something I have realized that I have really missed in the 5 months we have been in Portland) is that there is baseball year round down there.

Edited by BT_Blue
some how forgot about the golf.

Hey, I didnt say anything about LIVING in San Diego. I was living in LA and needed out. My wife's job moved us up here and we took the opportunity to do so in a place that we thought might be good to raise a family in.

As for my work. Sadly was on of the 10-12% of Californians that were laid off last year. Hardest thing right now is forcing myself to try and get back into the work force, being off for so long.

Oh as for the golfing... yes it is great. San Diego actually has the most number of golf courses per capita in the whole of the United States. To bad I never picked up the game really. What I did like about SoCal though (which is something I have realized that I have really missed in the 5 months we have been in Portland) is that there is baseball year round down there.

sorry i thought you lived in San Diego.. now LA i can see why you moved..LOL

Portland is a really nice place, traffic is bad, but alot of places are like that now....

I had moved from Northern Cali ( Monterey) to Missouri, I missed umpiring games all year.. right now in Missouri it 1* and -15 with the wind chill... baseball in feb and early march can really suck here..LOL

sorry i thought you lived in San Diego.. now LA i can see why you moved..LOL

Portland is a really nice place, traffic is bad, but alot of places are like that now....

I had moved from Northern Cali ( Monterey) to Missouri, I missed umpiring games all year.. right now in Missouri it 1* and -15 with the wind chill... baseball in feb and early march can really suck here..LOL

Yeh, this will be my first year umpiring outside of the great (big) state of California. I dont have much experience umpiring in the rain, but Im going to get it this year. Its going to be nice, I get to work on a major weakness which is figuring out when the ground is to wet to play or the rain is coming down to hard to continue.

Its not something I have really had to deal with working in SoCal.

Oh and for the record. I too lived in NoCal. Born in SF, raised in SJ and Tracy, CA.

• 3 weeks later...

As for the last one with why the camp is up north, is because the majority of the "upper" college leaders now are from up north including the Big XII supervisor.

Next, as for Camps in Texas. All_americanumpires.com has joined with MidWest Baseball Umpire Camps and has been putting on umpire camps in Oklahoma both large and small since 1997. The Large camp has been held in Norman and Moore, Oklahoma since 1999 and has had about 10 umpires go on in the very next year to one of the Professional Schools and get a job on the first attempt. Lots others have gotten opportunities to work the State High School tournaments in Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas.

The website is partially completed and some under-construction. It looks like there will be several umpire camps and evaluation opportunities in both Texas and Oklahoma with the closest one being Feb 19-21 in Edmond, Oklahoma.

I have looked and asked around and appears the owner of this group is Doug McClure who is also the Conference Supervisor of the Lone Star Conference(NCAA D-II) in Texas, Oklahoma, and New Mexico as well as the Sooner Athletic Conference(NAIA).

I think this is going to be a GREAT camp that I plan to attend in both Oklahoma and one of camps either in Abilene or San Antonio.