Planet of the Umps: A Baseball Life from Behind the Plate

Ump Rube
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4627 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

<IFRAME style="WIDTH: 120px; HEIGHT: 240px" marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 src="http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?t=umpireempire-20&o=1&p=8&l=as1&asins=0312304161&fc1=000000&IS2=1&lt1=_blank&m=amazon&lc1=0000FF&bc1=000000&bg1=FFFFFF&f=ifr" frameBorder=0 scrolling=no></IFRAME>

I felt this was also a very good book, it was a quick read. I was able to finish it in just a couple of days. There are some very enjoyable stories to read.

Edited by Ump Rube
Removing image of cover, as it is in the Amazon ad.

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loved it. Read it twice. Just finished it for the second time. Gave my first copy to one of my minor league umpire friends. He doesn't like to read so he admitted he still hasn't read it yet...... (frown)

Funny stories, really funny stories and well written. I am hoping to meet Ken Kaiser one day. I met his daughter and watched a game with her while watched her boyfriend, one of my Minor League Umpire friends, work the plate in Lexington, Kentucky. She is a funny girl so her dad must be an absolute wild man. According to the book, he is.

It is terrible what happened to him and the other 25 or so senior and experienced MLB umpires in 1999 and interesting to read Ken's first person explanation of it. I also hope to meet Jim Evans one day and hear his side of the debacle.

If you like humor and umpiring this is a book for you. I don't think you will be disappointed.

• 2 months later...

I read this book a few years back- remember loving it....

Just downloaded it to my kindle for a re-read~~

I felt this was also a very good book, it was a quick read. I was able to finish it in just a couple of days. There are some very enjoyable stories to read.

• 4 months later...