Would You Wear a Mouthguard?

JimKirk
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5358 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Hey Guys,

Hope everyone is having a good summer.

On 4/24/09, I posted on my blog on recent MLB Head Injuries. I received a lot of responses, but of them, 3 were of umpires and/or hockey referees who had discussed the importance of wearing a mouthguard to prevent concussions where force is applied to the jaw area. These 3 individuals seemed to imply this important factor had been missed when discussing head injuries and umpires.

I had always worn one when playing football in high school but was always under the impression they were more or less to protect your teeth only. So, what do I really know? You can read that post or the responses here:

http://umpattire.blogspot.com/2009/04/recent-mlb-umpire-head-injuries-prompt.html

(you can use your browser's find feature when there to search for "mouth" to more quickly find those comments.)

Anyway, I've been doing some research on the subject and found there definitely appears to be some strong supporters of wearing a mouthguard in contact sports for the prevention of concussions in addition to tooth protection even when there is a mask or helmet used. Of course, there is no specific research as it applies to umpires or even catchers that I found. Surprised? But there's an article here with a good overview:

http://www.sportsdentistry.com/concussion.html

So what do you think? Anyone have any insights on the subject? Do you wear one? Would you consider wearing one? Why or why not? I look forward to hearing a good discussion on this matter.

Edited by JimKirk

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use one when playing hockey. I never really thought about wearing one for umping but it sounds like it would be a good idea at upper levels but i don't think anybody would really want to wear one as they mite get in the way for them.

I've seen baseball players wearing them more recently. I considered wearing a partial mouth guard I saw in the store once that is a partial piece which goes toward the back of your mouth just over the molars, but I thought it would be difficult to talk and make calls.

I wouldn't simply for the reason everyone else has stated: It would be hard to make calls. You would have to take it out after every pitch to call a ball or strike when you were behind the plate. For bases, it wouldn't be as inconvenient, but you wouldn't need it there as much as behind the plate.

I would not wear one.

Oh, you set yourself up in so many ways.....:P......but I digress. I would Never consider wearing one on the bases but I would consider wearing one behind the plate when I knew that one of the pitchers could throw in the mid-90s.

From a hockey perspective, the mouth piece is not to protect your teeth as much as protecting your brain.

As I understand it, and our resident Kenpoist may be able to qualify this, is a shot anywhere on you head that makes your jaw open and slam shut can cause a blackout. The slamming action causes your brain to shift and can create a flash blackout.

As I understand it, and our resident Kenpoist may be able to qualify this, is a shot anywhere on you head that makes your jaw open and slam shut can cause a blackout. The slamming action causes your brain to shift and can create a flash blackout.

Yep, instant knock out! That is why, in kenpo, we use strike in upward fashion to the lower mandible (jaw)

Plus, with the teeth clenched on a mouthpiece, it takes more pressure, on a diagonal strike to the hinge of the jaw, to break it. With out clenching on a mouth piece, it only takes 7lbs of pressure to break the jaw.

If you watch the ufc, once the fighter becomes fatigued, start breathing through their mouth (mouth open) shots to the jaw usually put their lights out :)

I would only wear a small one umpiring, but if you keep you teeth clenched (with out a mouth piece, just a little pressure) it should reduce the chance of sending THAT shock wave to the brain.

Oh and on a side note:

I wear an all-star, hockey style mask, I wore the "traditional" mask for one game. I didn't feel like I was 1/4 as protected as my mask. I think I'm sticking with the hockey style mask :P

Oh, you set yourself up in so many ways.....:WTF......but I digress. I would Never consider wearing one on the bases but I would consider wearing one behind the plate when I knew that one of the pitchers could throw in the mid-90s.

From a hockey perspective, the mouth piece is not to protect your teeth as much as protecting your brain.

Well whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Thanks for the insights.

I'm planning on doing more research. I just feel I have to look into this in greater detail given the suggestions from several umpires that wearing mouthguards would help prevent concussions and given the fact that we're hearing more about concussions (not saying there are more, just possibly that we are hearing more) from umpires and not just at the MLB level.

I plan to talk to Shock Doctor next week about this and will try to reach the trainer who works with the MLB umpires.

Even if it is a suggested protective item, one major concern I'm hearing is the ability to make calls and talk to coaches during the game... all understandable. I do know that Shock Doctor makes some specialty mouth guards that both put teeth in proper position to help prevent concussions from blows to the jaw area and at the same time allow for better breathing and speaking. But what a supplier says and whether or not it actually works as advertised can sometimes be two different things.

I'll update you once I find out more, but feel free to pass any other thoughts along. This is not an area of expertise of mine, at least not yet, so anything pro or con is helpful at this point.

Thanks for the insights.

I'm planning on doing more research. I just feel I have to look into this in greater detail given the suggestions from several umpires that wearing mouthguards would help prevent concussions and given the fact that we're hearing more about concussions (not saying there are more, just possibly that we are hearing more) from umpires and not just at the MLB level.

I plan to talk to Shock Doctor next week about this and will try to reach the trainer who works with the MLB umpires.

Even if it is a suggested protective item, one major concern I'm hearing is the ability to make calls and talk to coaches during the game... all understandable. I do know that Shock Doctor makes some specialty mouth guards that both put teeth in proper position to help prevent concussions from blows to the jaw area and at the same time allow for better breathing and speaking. But what a supplier says and whether or not it actually works as advertised can sometimes be two different things.

I'll update you once I find out more, but feel free to pass any other thoughts along. This is not an area of expertise of mine, at least not yet, so anything pro or con is helpful at this point.

Jim,

Please keep us posted. No pun intended.

Roy:nod:

Edited by therefump

Are people hitting the ball harder now than before? Are the pitchers throwing harder? I never had a concussion, and I've had my bell rung by some of the best. Hundreds of mask shots from between 85 and 95 MPH over a 21 year span. Dented a few masks over the years.

Plus, I've had at least 10 direct shots to the collar bone, in the era before hard shell protectors. I took one in the collar bone at 92+ from Chad Hutchinson in 1990 that the people in the stands thought had killed me. I learned what P.O.S. stood for after that one!:shrug: I was black and blue for 3 weeks!

My point is, why is it all of a sudden so urgent to wear a mouthguard, when it hasn't really been an issue all this time? I can't even talk like I would like to with my partial plate, much less with a mouthguard in. I don't want to be hollering, "Bah Foh," or "Tike Thee." I like my calls crisp and clear, not all mumble-mouthed. I guess if you really, really, really need to wear one, okay. But I don't think it will receive widespread acceptance anytime soon.

Thanks for the insights.

Jim, thanks for your work on this - making things safer is a noble undertaking.

I have to wonder, though, about the impact to the jaw and it's relevance to concussions...specifically as it relates to baseball. It seems to me that an upward shot to the jaw would have a far greater effect (cause) for a concussion, whereas a straight or possible side impact wouldn't be nearly as great. Of course, I'm no neurosurgeon, so I'm interested in hearing if that concept is irrelevant or otherwise.

Consider the Kerwin Danley injuries... traditional mask, shot to the jaw from a 96 MPH pitch... then his second one was being hit by a bat on the backswing - who knows how fast that was moving, not to mention the far greater mass of the bat slamming into his HSM.

Are these the sort of ideas/input you plan to bring to Shock Doctor? Just curious...

Thanks again for your work on this.

I can't imagine that staight on shots to the mask would give you the porper hit to cause the opening/closing motion that a mouth guard would help. It is the under the jaw or side shot that the mouthguard helps. I may be completely wrong, hence the need to investigate, but I don't think it would make a big difference. If you take shot under the jaw or to the side you will have a lot bigger problem because it has missed the gear.

Interesting topic,

Jim I'm glad that you've brought this up. I personally have worn a mouth guard as a catcher and as a goalie and now as an umpire. It's actually pretty easy. Shock doctor basic gel molded, then just snip off a little bit of the sides I can talk as clear as day. The only time that you take it out is when a coach is coming out to talk to you. just slip it into you pocket. most coaches that i've worked with for years finally see it and ask how long i've been using it. 99% of them never noticed that I've done it for years. I will tell you that I've taken shots with and without and it does make a huge difference.

mike

Interesting topic,

Jim I'm glad that you've brought this up. I personally have worn a mouth guard as a catcher and as a goalie and now as an umpire. It's actually pretty easy. Shock doctor basic gel molded, then just snip off a little bit of the sides I can talk as clear as day. The only time that you take it out is when a coach is coming out to talk to you. just slip it into you pocket. most coaches that i've worked with for years finally see it and ask how long i've been using it. 99% of them never noticed that I've done it for years. I will tell you that I've taken shots with and without and it does make a huge difference.

mike

This post has convinced me to give mouthguards a try.

Jim.

Again, thank you for thinking of us on this. To offset this, I will chew gum and it does help. Yes, when I play hockey I wear one and it does soften the hits. The head protection in baseball has come a long way, ie the hockey mask, which I do wear.

If you are getting clobbered in the head a lot, sometimes it is more positioning and/or bad luck.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, I promised you I would keep you updated with developments on this issue. Here is a post on my discussion with Andy Fletcher, the only MLB umpire (that I or he is aware of) who is using a mouthguard.

Andy weighs in on why he uses one, what it has done for him and addresses some of the concerns that have been brought up and how he handles them.

http://umpattire.blogspot.com/2009/08/mlb-umpire-andy-fletcher-use-of.html

Hey guys, I promised you I would keep you updated with developments on this issue. Here is a post on my discussion with Andy Fletcher, the only MLB umpire (that I or he is aware of) who is using a mouthguard.

Andy weighs in on why he uses one, what it has done for him and addresses some of the concerns that have been brought up and how he handles them.

http://umpattire.blogspot.com/2009/08/mlb-umpire-andy-fletcher-use-of.html

Thanks Jim!