Favorite Brand of shirts?

ump117
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3631 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I am just looking for some feedback on different brands of shirts... I have navy and red smitty shirts and am not a huge fan..the material is thick and traps body heat...good for fall baseball but not for may and june!

I also have black and powder blue from www.theofficialschoice.com , and the material is soft, and light.

I recently purchased the Dalco Pink shirt from ump-attire and am not a huge fan, but only because of the mesh it is made of, is almost see through. But sharp, none the less.

So the question is, Whats your favorite brand? What shirts do you find most comfortable?

Okay I'm going to sound completely biased...

But my answer is the Ump-Attire Ultimate line of shirts. The material is absolutely the best. Lightweight, Breathable, not transparent and look really sharp.

Honest answer.

Smitty is my second favorite.

there is a local shirt brand , called "original blues" . it isnt currently available except through an umpire here in my area (orange county CA) . they were originally made by an umpire who started his own brand .after he passed away his family didnt want to continue . so another friend (umpire) of the family has taken over and plans to continue making the brand . i dont know how they would compare to some of the mass produced brands . i like them alot though . i also have several versions (different years) and colors of honigs shirts styles . and they have performed well so far .

marc

Because I'm too lazy to iron, I prefer shirts that stay wrinkle-free and light, so that said, here is my opinion:

Dalco is my least favorite because I can never get wrinkles out.

Letrell shirts stay straight, but they are too thick for my comfort.

With Official's Choice, I can never match my partners.

Smitty shirts look great, but they are starting to come apart.

Honig's, so far, is durable, but doesn't stay tucked in.

My favorites are Teamwork and the new Majestics. Both aren't too thick, and never wrinkle after hanging!

I've tried three brands, Honig's, Ump-Attire and Smitty's. I have not tried the new Honig's style. My old style Honig's shirts are my favorite. The Ump-Attire and Smitty's shirts "pill" on the left side, presumably from my mask (Diamond Featherweight w/ Wilson wraparounds). Anybody else have this problem? Any ideas?

I had to return the UA Ultimate I bought this year because of bad picks in the fabric after only 2 uses (also on the left side). I have a bunch of Smitty shirts and a couple of Dalcos, I've worn the Smitty's on 90+ degree humid days and have had no issues although the Dalcos are a bit cooler due to the thin mesh.

I would have to agree with Warren, the Ump-Attire Ulitmates are my favorite so far. If you're a Facebook Fan of Ump-Attire, Jim is running a special deal on them through Father's Day. 25% off makes them even more desirable.

I've heard the Ultimates run small, is that the case?

I just inquired .... they are set up to accommodate a chest protector, so, I'm assuming based on other measurements I've seen, you order your regular size for plate, and you can order a size down for bases. Not saying 1 shirt won't work either way, but that's how you'll see guys explain this ...

Smitty's runs small: A Smitty XL measures 24" across the chest w/ 17.5" shoulders, and an Ultimate measures 25.5 and 18.5 at the shoulders.

FOR ME: I get a 2xl in Smitty's and this will be perfect for plate, and just a tad big on bases. If I were to get an Ultimate, I'd order an XL based on the dimensions given.

I've tried almost every major brand out there, and what I always come back to is Honigs. Esspecially now that they have their "new" shirts. When on sale for $18 you can't beat them. Ultimates do run true to size however they have flex much like the new honigs, so I always wear size L on plate and bases so that I always look trim. But every shirt is cut in the sholders for plate. Just be careful I've had 2 split on me and have been resewed, after only a few uses.

I just inquired .... they are set up to accommodate a chest protector, so, I'm assuming based on other measurements I've seen, you order your regular size for plate, and you can order a size down for bases. Not saying 1 shirt won't work either way, but that's how you'll see guys explain this ...

Smitty's runs small: A Smitty XL measures 24" across the chest w/ 17.5" shoulders, and an Ultimate measures 25.5 and 18.5 at the shoulders.

FOR ME: I get a 2xl in Smitty's and this will be perfect for plate, and just a tad big on bases. If I were to get an Ultimate, I'd order an XL based on the dimensions given.

what is youre ht and weight , im thinking of that fathers day offer form UA for shirts . i wear 2xl for plate and xl for bases in a honigs shirt .

marc

what is youre ht and weight , im thinking of that fathers day offer form UA for shirts . i wear 2xl for plate and xl for bases in a honigs shirt .

marc

You have to be careful in ordering when comparing a Honig's shirt, because the Honigs' shirts (not the new 2011 version) had different sized lots throughout 2009 and 2010. Because I had a 2xl in Smitty's , and I ordered a 2xl from Honig's because I thought it'd be the same, and it was HUGE ...but I don't know how the new Honig's are sized.

I'm 5'11, 225 (46 regular suit) , ... 17.5" neck on a fitted shirt .... I regularly wear an XL.

I have 3 different brand shirts, Smitty, Dalco, and Majestic. Smitty is a 2xl for me, again, good for plate and only a tad big for bases. Majestic and Dalco however, I get an XL because they're sized or CPs. They are just a tad smaller than the 2xl Smitty, so a tad (very little) tighter w/ a CP but fit better on the bases than the Smitty.

Your best bet is this, ... go home and measure your shirts. Lay them flat on the ground and measure across the chest under the armpit. Then go from there. Again, ... Ultimate XL is 25.5, order accordingly ....for me, I'd get an XL in the Ultimate... :GL:

I only have one Ultimate shirt. It's a black medium that I wear on the bases. It is really nice.

The Smitty is my other favorite. Large on the plate, medium on the bases. I am 6'1" and about 185.

The Dalcos fit funny (Not long enough tail and the sleeves are weird), and the material is stiff and it wrinkles.

The new Honigs shirt may be nice, but I didn't like the fit of the old ones. They weren't bad shirts, just didn't fit real well on me.

The Ump-Attire and Smitty's shirts "pill" on the left side, presumably from my mask (Diamond Featherweight w/ Wilson wraparounds). Anybody else have this problem? Any ideas?

This happens to me. Diamond Silver Featherweight mask + Smitty shirts = pilling left sleeves.

I just noticed that I have two shirts of Letrell. The scarlet is thicker, feels like a dish sponge, and is very uncomfortable during a hot game. On the other hand, I regularly wear a black Letrell that is much thinner and has not pilled like the Smittys.

The Ump-Attire and Smitty's shirts "pill" on the left side, presumably from my mask (Diamond Featherweight w/ Wilson wraparounds). Anybody else have this problem? Any ideas?

This happens to me. Diamond Silver Featherweight mask + Smitty shirts = pilling left sleeves.

I just noticed that I have two shirts of Letrell. The scarlet is thicker, feels like a dish sponge, and is very uncomfortable during a hot game. On the other hand, I regularly wear a black Letrell that is much thinner and has not pilled like the Smittys.

Rotate your mask from one arm to another so BOTH sides pill evenly and to a lesser degree!:yippie:

• 2 weeks later...

Reposting this one in this thread as it is more appropriate.

Just my personal experience as I had to buy a lot of stuff this year.

I bought all these shirts in 2010 (except OfficialsChoice, GIVEN to me in 2011). I wear XXL in everyday shirts. All shirts below are XXL.

2010 Majestic shirt fits great and works over the CP just fine as well.

2010 Smitty will also work, BUT Smitty is 2" skinnier at the waist but is a stretchy shirt.

2010 Dalco shirt (Pink for breast cancer awareness) fit and is sized like Majestic and does not stretch much.

Bought the old material Honig shirt on Clearance in November 2010 and it was a bit tight and does not stretch. I have a partner who has to work a little harder to get the Clearance Honig's over his CP because it does not stretch.

2011 OfficialsChoice.com is garbage. I was given my District Tournament shirts last week, both OfficialsChoice and they are VERY tight and do NOT stretch. I have to trade them in for the next size this week. EDIT: received 2011 OC shirts and my Navy one does not stretch and my powder one DOES stretch. *facepalm*

By far, I am happiest with the Majestic. Smitty is comfortable, but grabs around the waist as it is a little smaller.

I keep meaning to try the U/A Ultimate, but I always find something else to spend the $30 on.

EDIT 8/16/2011:

I just bought the U/A Ultimate and everything that Thunderheads extrapolates and hckyosgood confirms is spot on. The material is great BUT it runs true to size (perhaps a little smaller and trimmer) and is significantly smaller than my Majestics (old style, not 2011 MLB style) and Dalcos.

Absolutely need to size up for the plate. It does stretch, but not nearly as much as a Smitty.

Also want to concur with zm1283 that Dalco's are stiff and they do hold wrinkles.

So, for me:

1. Majestic (Old style, not 2011 MLB style) - for their generous sizing, material, breathability and resistance to wrinkles. I assume the 2011 shirt is just as good, but I don't own it as none of my partners have it.

2. U/A Ultimate - for their material and look. Although I need to size up 1 for the bases and 1 or 2 for the plate

3. Dalco - for their generous sizing and color selection at U/A (Pink, Gray, White) (material is durable but holds wrinkles and is a little heavy)

4. Smitty - light material, very stretchy. Even though it is stretchy, I need to size up for the plate so I don't look like a wrapped sausage. I have seen issues with the buttons being loose or falling off.

∞. (That's infinity, folks.) Officials Choice. I do have a decent shirt, but I have 4 other shirts and a pair of pants that fit horribly everywhere and look terrible. For me, I just don't know what I might get from them.

EDIT: 9/1/2011

Here are some shirt sizing comparisons.

Bottom: 2010 Majestic XXL (Widest shirt in that size)

Top: 2010 Dalco XXL

6104096748_2d45bd864b.jpg

Top: 2011 +POS (The tail on +POS is at least an inch longer than anything else I own and it has very broad shoulders - see further down)

6104079280_c6d54a308f.jpg

Top: 2011 Honigs XXL (New material in 2011 and is stretchy, comfortable and higher quality than my 2010 shirt)

6103522999_539a5c0428.jpg

Bottom: 2011 Smitty XL

Top: 2011 Ump-Attire Ultimate XXL (Yes, the U/A Ultimate XXL is the exact same width as the Smitty XL)

U/A Ultimate is very light, just a bit shorter in the tail and narrower in the waist and is even a little narrower than most of my XXL t-shirts.

Definitely NOT sized up like the other brands.

6104115268_9111e3df40.jpg

Bottom four: 2011 Smitty XXL, 2011 Honigs XXL, 2010 Dalco XXL, 2010 Majestic XXL.

Top: 2011 +POS XXL.

Notice the shoulders are nearly a full inch broader. This goes for each side, so 2 inches broader.

6104062818_6682559df9.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Everyone's knocking the Officials Choice Shirts? I'll admit they're not the best but I believe that they are a good buy for a beginner umpire. I have several myself and on HOT days I love these shirts, very breathable, but they do look like a mesh basketball jersey. I started with Smitty shirts, they do "pill" on the collar and the sleeve, don't know why, and I have a Dalco shirt Pro Blue that I really like, I think they look sharp and breathe nicely. If you don't have the money to be spending on Majestic and Smitty stuff, the Officials Choice is a great option for starting out. You can get 4 or 5 shirts, a nice little selection for the same cost as 2 or 3 of the really great shirts. Because face it, it sucks when you're partners doing the plate, you give him the option of what he wants to wear and you don't have it.

Now it has been a while since I bought an officials choice so maybe they've improved their quality.

In initial quality the Officials choice is okay...

They are very breathable...

But as stated they pill, the buttons turn purple/pink -- I have personal experience with this. I have also heard that the seams come unraveled.

YMMV.

I don't care for the new MLB designed Majestics, so I've got none of them.

Navy: +POS NOS (new old stock)

Black: Majestic, no pocket for bases. Official's Choice MVP for cool plates, and OC regular for warmer evenings.

Black long sleeved: OC. Plus, the OC is making a lined one that's really nice, It might be out later in the year.

Polo: Majestic on the bases, and Honig's behind the plate.

Red: Dalco

Pink: Dalco

Silver: +POS NOS

Maroon: OC (it looks really snappy with the charcoal slacks)

White: +POS NOS

Everyone's knocking the Officials Choice Shirts? I'll admit they're not the best but I believe that they are a good buy for a beginner umpire. I have several myself and on HOT days I love these shirts, very breathable, but they do look like a mesh basketball jersey. I started with Smitty shirts, they do "pill" on the collar and the sleeve, don't know why, and I have a Dalco shirt Pro Blue that I really like, I think they look sharp and breathe nicely. If you don't have the money to be spending on Majestic and Smitty stuff, the Officials Choice is a great option for starting out. You can get 4 or 5 shirts, a nice little selection for the same cost as 2 or 3 of the really great shirts. Because face it, it sucks when you're partners doing the plate, you give him the option of what he wants to wear and you don't have it.

The confusion about TheOfficialsChoice shirts may stem from the fact that they have sold at least 3 different fabrics in the last 24 months.

I have one of the shirts that everyone seems to like. It is very light and stretchy and it is sized up for the plate. (no true to size). I agree with those folks who say this shirt is great. It hangs well and is extremely comfortable.

The second type of shirt was heavier, not stretchy at all and NOT sized up. Impossible to wear over a CP without ordering a larger size than the rest of my shirts.

The third type is the new "UmpDry" style. Not bad. Not great. Stupid wide stripes on the black shirt which are the same width as the Powder/navy and Navy/red. The width on my "UmpDry" shirt does not match the width on any of the other black shirts I own.

I would prefer the older, lighter, super stretchy material, but I wouldn't know how to order it from their website, if they even sell it anymore.