Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
Moriarty_45

Nearly

9-10 rec league, no lead-offs. R1 only, he attempts to steal. No brainer out at second. I turn to head back to A position and hear the head coach who was in the 3rd base coaches box yell, "come on blue, that was a high tag, he was under it". Then he says "you weren't even in position." I was in the best position possible. I call time, walked toward the middle of the field and motioned for him to meet me. He immediately starts with "you gotta be on the inside on a steal". I tried to tell him that with no lead-offs I work from the outside in that situation. I also tried to educate him that coaches should never tell an umpire where or how to umpire. He continued to say I was out of position. I confined him to the dugout. Other than a little whining immediately after that the game finished without incident.

I have started doing more high school and middle school games this year and find that my tolerance is waning when dealing with the daddy coaches. How would you deal with a coach yelling across the field that you were out of position? Does that meet the criteria for a quick hook?

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

Ignore him. Treat it as if some fan said it. If he continues between innings, then acknowledge him by explaining it. If he continues, tell him you have explained it and there is no more discussion. If he doesn't get that, eject him. Forget about the restriction. He'll learn more when he can't see the game anymore or coach in it.

I was just back from a clinic weekend a few years ago that had pro instruction....so I was trying to be really crisp with my mechanics.....During a PONY league 13-14 year old game I made a routine out call on play at first....I was in "A".....ground ball to short...stepped in , got my good angle and made the routine out call.....

Coach got mad and said, you cant make that call from "way back there".......

Point being is that we can work the accepted mechanics and be in the perfect position and very, very few youth league coaches will ever know where we are supposed to be in a routine 2 man system........in your case, id have ingnored him.....certainly wouldnt have invited him in to discuss anything....if he continued to be demonstrative, I'd have dumped him.

I agree with Mr. Umpire.....and Im not a quick hook person by any means, but Im also not a fan of restricting them to the dugout........if they got to go, they go........

I probably would ignore it until I got to A. If he continues, give him a stop sign. Dump him after that. Coaches at younger levels many times are clueless. I explain when they give me a chance but I will get rid of them too. Although I can't remember the last time I threw a LL manager. Unless you guys have a local rule about restrictions, Fed is the only one that has that rule. It has been a Fed rule for probably ten years, I haven't found a use for it yet.

9-10 rec league, no lead-offs. R1 only, he attempts to steal. No brainer out at second. I turn to head back to A position and hear the head coach who was in the 3rd base coaches box yell, "come on blue, that was a high tag, he was under it". Then he says "you weren't even in position." I was in the best position possible. I call time, walked toward the middle of the field and motioned for him to meet me. He immediately starts with "you gotta be on the inside on a steal". I tried to tell him that with no lead-offs I work from the outside in that situation. I also tried to educate him that coaches should never tell an umpire where or how to umpire. He continued to say I was out of position. I confined him to the dugout. Other than a little whining immediately after that the game finished without incident.

I have started doing more high school and middle school games this year and find that my tolerance is waning when dealing with the daddy coaches. How would you deal with a coach yelling across the field that you were out of position? Does that meet the criteria for a quick hook?

Ignore him. Walk away. There are very few circumstances in which I'd motion for someone to come talk to me. This certainly isn't one of them.