Jump to content

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

LVUmp34

Members
  • Content count

    17
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

2 Neutral

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    Eastern, PA
  • Interests
    Soccer, Baseball, Lacrosse, Hockey, Photography

More information about you

  • Your Association Name
    BUA
  • Occupation
    Architecture
  • Types/Levels of Baseball called
    Little League, Babe Ruth, Prep League
  • How did you hear about Umpire-Empire?
    Search Engine (Google, Yahoo, Bing, ...)
  1. Some lacrosse photos...

    Attached are some lacrosse photos I took the year Duke beat Notre Dame in OT down in Baltimore.
  2. Greetings from PA

    Standing still behind the plate must have been cold. My hands were freezing. My legs were surprisingly ok. All games I assigned out for today were cancelled because of the fields being unplayable. Next weekend doesn't look any better. More weather on the way.
  3. Greetings from PA

    Thank you. My games were cancelled so I filled them with soccer. Out in shorts today was a bit chilly.
  4. Hecklers

    I always bring my soccer into this, but I use the ask tell dismiss policy. I have never addressed parents directly. I go to the coach. I ask them to talk to their parents. If the parents get rowdy I tell the coach this is getting out of hand and we will not continue until you remove that fan from the field.
  5. Passed my Exam

    Congratulations!
  6. Little League crews

    Just getting back into it, I am doing a handful of games by myself. Years ago before there was the Internet, I always had a base umpire. If they didn't show, I collected both checks. Other times I would get a buddy who played and said only call out or safe. I will handle everything else. It worked well for LL and Babe Ruth. That was before all the clearances, etc were required.
  7. Dangling Throat Guard

    I used to not use a dangler when I was hockey goalie. I had the tight neck protector. Caught a stick up high and went to a dangler for both that and lacrosse as the emergency goalie. I used one as an umpire too, albeit incorrectly mounted. It really becomes second nature and after a bit you won't notice it there at all. It will not restrict you in any way. For the person looking for straps with the buttons, you could always try a craft store like AC Moore, Joanne's, or Michaels. If not wax shoe laces will always work in a pinch.
  8. umpire positioning

    Town and Country is a bowling alley by me. Seriously though, what is mentioned above is true. I don't like being behind the bag for 60 foot games. Years ago I would kneel behind the pitcher which was effective 80% of the time. The other 20% was getting hit by the ball or interfeering with the play.
  9. Back at it

    PIAA is short in all sports. What is going on in our lovely state?
  10. New Student-Ump

    I am new, but welcome aboard. There is a ton of information on this site! Naso is worth it. I officiate two sports. Although one is covered by my membership dues, umpiring is not so I got Naso. You never want to be in a position where you wish you had it. I have bought all my gear from Ump-attire because of their return policy, but there are others out there. Be consistent, stick with your calls and always make an effort to be in a position to make the call. As a coach, I may not agree with an official's call, but if they made a concerted attempt to get in position, then that is all I can ask for. Plenty of videos online, both good and bad to be honest, and that is why I joined this site. In any sport, I think players find a new appreciation for officials as you see the game from another perspective. Good luck with everything.
  11. Greetings from PA

  12. Gear and Apparel Setup

    Yes and no. My windows are tinted. I have a smaller SUV now but I always have 10 soccer jerseys, 2 pairs of shorts and 3 pairs of socks. Now that I am umpiring again all gear is in the trunk and I have one of those trunk covers that roll up.
  13. Greetings from PA

    It's crazy. Plows just come through.
  14. Greetings from PA

    Yeah I think we are getting 4-6 but who knows. I know twps are closing fields for soccer on Sunday. Maybe they keep them open for baseball and softball?
  15. Greetings from PA

    Thanks. With the weather we are having I'm going to be switching uniforms and sports in the same day more than I thought.
×