I saw a used WV Gold in L/XL on Craigslist for $60... even with shipping that's probably only $80. I'm close to your height and size (XL) and that fit me really well. It offers wings for the sides where I am assuming the spot you took a shot was located.
The Schutt /Adams HDX is a little wider than the Champion as well and still under $100.
After those options, the Gold or Platinum will run you to the mid $100's and then Douglas/All Star will go almost to $200. Finally, the F3 CP is almost $300.
Personally, I've owned and used Douglas, Platinum, Gold, Champion, Schutt, Champro, The Ump and they're all really similar, yet unique in their own ways.
* - The Douglas doesn't have gap coverage on the shoulders, and at that price point - it should. It hurts if you catch a ball on top of the shoulder. This is a very affordable CP, but hot and a little hard to get over the head without feeling like you're ripping your ears off, but with practice it can be done. Also, the gap coverage is a non-starter for me unless you want to spend $30 more for them.
* - The Champion just didn't fit right on me. Granted, I had the huge 17" model, but it was super thin and still as hot as the Platinum or Gold. It is very affordable though.
* - Platinum offers great protection. You don't feel a thing when you take a shot. But it's expensive and hot and a little hard to get over your head.
* - Gold is same as Platinum, but easier to put over head. A little thicker padding offers even more protection (and heat). More expensive slightly than Platinum, but I like the shoulder gap coverage protection better on the Gold. Plus, it's black!
* - My Champro was a soft/hard shell. By that I mean it had plates, but they weren't very hard as I could bend them easily and they were covered with a "foam" for lack of a better word. It did it's job, but you could feel the shots a little more than I liked. It did breathe well, was pretty light and kept everything covered well. I did Babe Ruth baseball in it, but I wouldn't recommend for HS ball or higher.
* - Schutt/Adams XV is a neat little game-changer. I've never worn a CP that feels so light and airy. It's hard to explain unless you've tried one on. You can feel air through this CP and it cools you down. It's very affordable for a hard shell CP. It offers as much protection as any hard-shell CP and uses new D30 foam. I haven't taken a shot yet so I can't speak to feel versus a Gold/Platinum/Douglas, but I'm confident it will perform at least as good as the Champion plates. In my opinion, it is wider across the chest than the Champion and it has the "wings" on the side as well. Plus, it drops down and covers all my ribs - which the Platinum barely hit my last rib, but Gold/Douglas covers. The new Adams HDX version offers clips on side and the better harness, but the old Schutt XV version can be modded with the MadMaXV modification for a great CP at a "wow" price!
In short, if on a budget and you already have a Champion, I'd try the Adams HDX. Dowdle Sports has them for around $80-85 shipped to you.