Jump to content

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

ricka56

Established Member
  • Content count

    2,838
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    34

ricka56 last won the day on April 8

ricka56 had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

1,118 Excellent

About ricka56

  • Rank
    what ? me worry ?
  • Birthday 04/01/2001

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Not Telling
  • Location
    Bearded Clam, MA

Recent Profile Visitors

8,826 profile views
  1. Pitcher Covering Home on Wild Pitch

    Still, the collision was entirely avoidable if he slid. When a runner slides, he has done the most he can do to avoid contact. If he chooses not to slide, then the runner does not get the benefit of the doubt as to whether his attempt to avoid contact was sufficient (even if he is the smaller of the two colliding).
  2. Third out

    Contrary to popular belief, the runner getting doubled off at 2B is not a force play. Force plays can only occur when a batter/runner forces runners to move up (refer to force play definition). Once the batter is out, no force play can occur. As stated above, your play was a time play. The runner from 3B scored before the runner from 2B was out, so the run counts.
  3. 'REAL' job

    Chief branding manager for Dick's Sporting.
  4. interference/obstruction/play on???

    And rule interference ? That could be supported by the rules maybe, but only the delight DHC would buy that judgement call.
  5. 3 feet, continuing to advance,

    Glad to see this clarification put into the rules/interp. Before that, umpires had a catch-22. If a runner stayed more than 3 feet away from the ball carrier (more than an arm's length away), then a tag attempt couldn't be made. If no tag attempt, then the rule didn't apply. And if the runner was within 3 feet (less than arm's reach), a tag could be made and you didn't need the rule. That made no sense. Runners getting themselves in a rundown are 99% out if the fielders don't screw it up. And you have to be Houdini to be in the other 1%.
  6. Fulmer calls out PU

    Am I the only one who's noticed that this exchange rate has inverted, rendering this expression obsolete... ... and betting donuts to dollars just doesn't have the same ring to it. Levity is the only contribution I can make to this thread.
  7. Horrible news - @grayhawk

    I just read this thread about Steve's accident. Horrible news. Thought and prayers to Grayhawk, one of the best contributors to this site, and judging by my convos with him, a fine man. Speedy recovery, bruda.
  8. Double Set - Balk

    Pick one...be an umpire...make the call or no call. Have your explanation ready before asked. Understand that those there will probably second-guess you, no matter your choice...goes with the territory.
  9. Mound Visits

    My understand is the same as yours...true.
  10. NFHS changes 2019

    Normally I wouldn't go for help on a call to a partner who wasn't properly attired. But I'd make an exception for you.
  11. Appeal calls

    There are two kinds of appeals in baseball. 1. Appeal plays, such as missed base, missed retouch, batting out of order. Usually no umpire conference occurs. 2. Appeal of an umpire decision. A coach may make an appeal to the umpire making the call to get help on the play, but it is solely up to the calling umpire whether to grant this appeal to get help. Any decision can theoretically be appeal requested (blue, can I ask you to get help on that strike call...ha).
  12. Simulating Delivery & Disengagement

    How does F1 disengage from the rubber if he doesn't bend his "back" knee ?
  13. Balk or no Balk - Team Dempster or Team Reynolds

    Its half disengage, half jab step (another imaginary 45 degree line ... ha). I think the half jab step trumps the half disengage (balk), but pick one and sell what you've got if you have to. Sometimes, you just have to umpire.
  14. NFHS changes 2019

    That "inconspicuous" tab on your chest will soon turn into a signal to a coach that you think your partner kicked a call. I don't plan to use this and I hope none of my partners do either. We, as a chapter, are pretty good about going to our partner when appropriate. No "secret" signal required.
  15. Leaving base early

    It's Umpire 101 knowledge. The people who came down on the no run score side, are not as experienced as you think.
×