Here is a post that i made on this subject a few years back. The same logic applies today:
I try to let the play dictate what mechanics to use. Remember that our safe mechanic has many meanings....."Safe", "No catch", "that's Nothing", "balls in play" etc. To everyone else, safe mechanic only looks like safe. So I try to use it only when the situation calls for it.
- On DK3 I will give my swinging strike Mechanic (pointing strike mechanic) with arm extended.
- If it is unclear to the off. or def. that the ball was dropped (i.e. short hop), i will also give a verbal "No Catch"
- I take a read step right or left as needed to see the possible tag attempt.
- If tag is made, I give my OUT mechanic.
- If tag is attempted and missed, I will give the SAFE mechanic.
- If no tag attempt is made, I will leave my right arm extended until runner steps out of the dirt circle then give.a casual "no catch" mechanic.
Here are a few video clips from one of my recent games of the mechanics mentioned above.