Looking to get a new CP and selling my current..

Nate
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5336 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Hello everyone,

I've just stumbled across this website researching CPs.. I currently have a west vest platinum, and I'm not a fan at all. I have a very small build and it just won't fit me correctly.. It's quiet frustrating since it seems I'm wasting money trying to get gear that fits me right..

Anyway I bought the west vest 10.5" from ump-attire (they're the nicest people around). I've just ordered the west vest gold, hoping it fits me better.. I'm trying to sell my platinum now. I've posted on craigslist trying to get rid of it, but I figured maybe someone would be interested here.

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/spo/1180338843.html

I want to thank everyone in advance, I'm absolutely sure I will be posting around here!

Nate

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello everyone,

I've just stumbled across this website researching CPs.. I currently have a west vest platinum, and I'm not a fan at all. I have a very small build and it just won't fit me correctly.. It's quiet frustrating since it seems I'm wasting money trying to get gear that fits me right..

Anyway I bought the west vest 10.5" from ump-attire (they're the nicest people around). I've just ordered the west vest gold, hoping it fits me better.. I'm trying to sell my platinum now. I've posted on craigslist trying to get rid of it, but I figured maybe someone would be interested here.

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/spo/1180338843.html

I want to thank everyone in advance, I'm absolutely sure I will be posting around here!

Nate

Hi Nate -

I would almost bet you'll find a better fit with the Gold than the Platinum.

I wear the Platinum, but a few weeks' back had a chance to try on the Gold and found that it had a much tighter fit, especially around the lower part of the ribs.

Best of luck,

As Brian said and you have discovered, the Platinum is nice but not for everyone. I had one and could not wear it comfortably. I now have the WV Gold in Small size. I love it. It fits very snugly and covers all I need it to cover.

I also got mine from Jim Kirk at Ump-Attire. I know him personally and cannot say enough good things about him as a person and his company. You will not go wrong buying from Jim.

Good luck with your purchase, your umpiring career and this site. I particularly like this site versus any other umpiring web domain.

Yeah, I buy all my stuff from ump-attire, they're great people. I get my uniforms through honigs since they do deals for my association. But all my gear and pants have come from ump-attire.

I replaced my K1 (does anyone see a trend here with this CP?) with a WV Gold some 6 or 7 years ago. I looked at the GD protectors and at the Platinum. I finally settled on the Gold and will NEVER turn back.

Only thing is... on your Craigslist post, you didnt put a price. Im not in the market to buy unless i absolutely need to, but a price would be nice.

I replaced my K1 (does anyone see a trend here with this CP?) with a WV Gold some 6 or 7 years ago. I looked at the GD protectors and at the Platinum. I finally settled on the Gold and will NEVER turn back.

Only thing is... on your Craigslist post, you didnt put a price. Im not in the market to buy unless i absolutely need to, but a price would be nice.

The price is in the title. :crazy:

Hi everyone,

I found someone on the local board here to buy it. I got my WV Gold in the mail today, did a game with it, and absolutely love it! It's really made for a guy like me. Still needs to be broken in and a little more tweaking on the sizing, but it's just what I was looking for. B)

Nate

Hi everyone,

I found someone on the local board here to buy it. I got my WV Gold in the mail today, did a game with it, and absolutely love it! It's really made for a guy like me. Still needs to be broken in and a little more tweaking on the sizing, but it's just what I was looking for. :agasp_:

Nate

Welcome to the fraternity of WV gold users. There isnt that many of us on these boards but its a great CP and I personally would never use anything different.

Welcome to the fraternity of WV gold users. There isnt that many of us on these boards but its a great CP and I personally would never use anything different.

Well if the big man himself wears one, it's got to be the best..

1126102584_5924.jpg

• 1 month later...

If you are asking if there is a difference in WV models, ie is a Platinum/Gold that much better than an original WV or the MLU (Gray WV) then to most people probably not. Platinum and Gold are elite for elitists like me and Finnerty and Brian C. (Just kidding.) It is what you feel you need versus what you can afford. I had the original black WV with the bicep pads. They got lost quickly. It was great protection but not the greatest fit. Kind of like a board hanging on the front of me. It did the job but I wanted better fit and early in my career more coverage. (I took an 87 mph pitch from a lefty right in the gut to the slight left of my navel that left stitch mark bruises/blood bruise. That kid, Robbie Ross, is now pitching in Rangers organization and signed for a 1.5+ mil bonus.)

I had a Platinum but never wore it in a game. It was too bulky for me. I could not get my shirts over it and could not raise my arms high enough. some guys swear by them.... and some swear at them-cost/bulk/heat.

I now wear a Gold and it is my best of all. It fits great (I wear the small size) and covers me pretty well. (I work behind better catchers now.)

I had a Honig's K-1 (actually 2 of them-L and XL size) and the Diamond iX3 and the +POS BB2000 (Samurai Warrior Plastic plates) and the +POS BB3000 zips down the front. Too big for me.

I am not called the Equipment chief for nothing. I have bought, borrowed, tried on or at least inspected almost all the gear there is.

So, the real answer is- find out what works for you, what fits, what you can afford and most importantly protects you appropriately for the level you work AND want to work. It might take some trial and error. But, if you EVER plan on working HS or above, get hard shell of some type. Please.

good luck.

The Wilson Charcoal CP and Original West Vest (still available???) are definitely viable options. I know guys who call NCAA D-I games with these.

Ultimately it will come down to personal preference and the balancing act to what you want and need between protection, comfort, and price.

I would suggest asking guys in your organization what they use take a look at them and then decide what might work best for you.

The MLB grey Wilson was a little trade-off when they first came out. The West Vest had removable plates and the platinum has extra pads along the ribs. I just bought the new version this year and all the plates are removabe and I've never been hit in the ribs. I just don't see the advantage for the extra money. I freely admit there was a difference orginally but not now.

• 1 month later...

Dave,

Add me to that list of equipment elitist! I have the gold, the WV shins and the NB shoes. Only thing I didnt spring for is the titanium and the reebok shoes (didnt know it came in wide when I bought my NBs). I almost exclusively wear the poly-wool pants and wouldnt dream of wearing another type of shirt besides honigs until I tried the Ultimate shirt from Ump-Attire. Now it is those shirts or nothing!

I wont go with anything but what I have and thats just the way I always have been. If I could I would have an equipment collection like Major or Tim or Richard (lets just say Im jealous of all the gear these men have).

And by the way... Im one of those guys that will swear up and down that the Gold is better than the Platinum (which I have never worn), the K1 (which I am sad to say that I have) or any other protector on the market.

Like I said... elitist!

Dave,

Add me to that list of equipment elitist! I have the gold, the WV shins and the NB shoes. Only thing I didnt spring for is the titanium and the reebok shoes (didnt know it came in wide when I bought my NBs). I almost exclusively wear the poly-wool pants and wouldnt dream of wearing another type of shirt besides honigs until I tried the Ultimate shirt from Ump-Attire. Now it is those shirts or nothing!

I wont go with anything but what I have and thats just the way I always have been. If I could I would have an equipment collection like Major or Tim or Richard (lets just say Im jealous of all the gear these men have).

And by the way... Im one of those guys that will swear up and down that the Gold is better than the Platinum (which I have never worn), the K1 (which I am sad to say that I have) or any other protector on the market.

Like I said... elitist!

I've worn both, and I like the Gold better as well. It might be just me, but it seems like it fits skinnier guys better. I was ALWAYS pushing the Platinum back up to my neck to keep it covering my collar bone. (And yes, I adjusted it as high and tight as it would go) I never have to touch the Gold once it's on. It stays exactly where it's supposed to.