Smitty Pants

Frank Rizzo
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5355 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I bought a pair of smitty pants. Great decision. I got the charcoal grey. They look just like the Gerry Davis pants, and even have all the reinforced stitching, sweat technology, and expandable waistband.

I just bought two more pairs of these. Best decision I ever made. No more $55 unhemmed pants.

I did have to get these hemmed at a local dry cleaner. But I prefer that anyways.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Smitty pants this year. Only thing I will say, their combo pants do not fit well over some shin guards. They do not look great so I would recommend plate pants when behind the dish. I will admit my shin guards are a little thicker than most...I wear the Rawlings Lobsters.

• 2 weeks later...

I purchase a pair of their plate pants. I like the color, finish and the construction. They are however cut more narrow in the hips and thigh than my Davis plate pants. Too bad...I was really excited about the price and look...

• 2 weeks later...

Since I switched from heather to charcoal a couple of years ago, I have only purchased the Gerry Davis pants. It's time to add a couple more pairs to the wardrobe, so based on all of your comments about the Smitty charcoals, I ordered a pair of plate, and a pair of base pants from our friends at Ump-Attire. Looking forward to getting them and checking out the quality. Thanks for the info on these, guys.

Thanks Mike, you too, Nate. They're shipping today priority mail, so hopefully I'll have them by Saturday, if not then Monday at the latest. What started this was I was sitting next to my stepson in the Evans clinic last weekend. The GD's I had on I bought before last season, and he had on a pair of GD's he got a few months ago. I was looking at his and mine next to each other, and his were in fact charcoal, while mine were looking more on the green side.

I'm going to start with the base and plate I ordered, and if I like them, I'll order another set. Then for high school next year when it's cooler, I'll order a couple pairs of the honigs poly-wool. That should get me through the next couple of seasons anyway. I don't know about you all, but I go through 2 pairs of pants each season. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I am doing 130-175 games a year. My goal is to get a rotation of 5 base and 5 plate. I'm tired of late night laundry after games.

Thanks Mike, you too, Nate. They're shipping today priority mail, so hopefully I'll have them by Saturday, if not then Monday at the latest. What started this was I was sitting next to my stepson in the Evans clinic last weekend. The GD's I had on I bought before last season, and he had on a pair of GD's he got a few months ago. I was looking at his and mine next to each other, and his were in fact charcoal, while mine were looking more on the green side.

I'm going to start with the base and plate I ordered, and if I like them, I'll order another set. Then for high school next year when it's cooler, I'll order a couple pairs of the honigs poly-wool. That should get me through the next couple of seasons anyway. I don't know about you all, but I go through 2 pairs of pants each season. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I am doing 130-175 games a year. My goal is to get a rotation of 5 base and 5 plate. I'm tired of late night laundry after games.

I do the laundry a couple times a week. My clothes don't get that dirty enough to wash them all the time.. I was a little concerned this year when buying the pants, they're pretty expensive, but they're worth it. And the flex fit helps on those day you've eaten a lot. haha

Love the poly-wools. Feel great and the material is a lot tougher than the standard pants. True they are heavier than your normal umpire pants but honestly you dont even notice (and Im talking from experience having worn both plate and base polywool pants in 100+ degree weather)

I do the laundry a couple times a week. My clothes don't get that dirty enough to wash them all the time.. I was a little concerned this year when buying the pants, they're pretty expensive, but they're worth it. And the flex fit helps on those day you've eaten a lot. haha

I hear ya, Nate, but call me a clean freak, because I have to wash whatever I have worn, even if I was on the bases in 40 degree weather, and the game was over in less than 90 minutes.

I hear ya, Nate, but call me a clean freak, because I have to wash whatever I have worn, even if I was on the bases in 40 degree weather, and the game was over in less than 90 minutes.

We're all different.. Just so you know, I washed my pants with my shirts last night.. And usually when I wash my shirts I put fabric softener in because they get so stiff for some reason. Anyway, I took the pants out of the dryer and they were like a delicate silk.. I had to use tons of startch on them this morning so they wouldn't stick to each other and so they had a crease in them.

Nate

I got the Smitty's yesterday, and dropped them off to be hemmed today. I like the expandable waist, it's just like the GD's in that regard. I also liked the color, and the thinner material may help on those hot days, time will tell on that. The one thing I was disappointed to see though, was how skinny the width on the belt loops were. That was one thing I didn't really pay attention to when I ordered them. I prefer the wider loops that the GD's have. Looking forward to getting them back from the seamstress in a couple days to see how they feel on the field.

That might be why they're turning green. :shrug:

Received my plate and base pants this week, and have had 2 games in each of them. I like the material they are made from, it's very soft and comfortable. The material used in the GD's are much more coarse. The charcoal color looks good. This is a sharp looking pant. As far as the durability factor, only time will tell, but so far I like the Smitty pants, and so far, I would recommend them. Now that I have worked my way through Sansabelt, Cliff Kein, Gerry Davis, and Smitty, my next 2 pair are going to have to be the poly-wools from Honigs. I've heard so many good things about them, so next season I am going to give them a spin.

I love the poly-wools but the price point is a little tough to take. Sadly it is just about a requirement for college ball here in SoCal to use the poly-wool pants and next year HS is going strictly to charcoal color pants. So its either the poly-wools or the new honigs ultimate pants in charcoal for EVERYONE here in socal.

And yes, I do know that GD makes a charcoal pair of pants, the problem is the color is not the same and could cause problems during evaluations.

I love the poly-wools but the price point is a little tough to take. Sadly it is just about a requirement for college ball here in SoCal to use the poly-wool pants and next year HS is going strictly to charcoal color pants. So its either the poly-wools or the new honigs ultimate pants in charcoal for EVERYONE here in socal.

And yes, I do know that GD makes a charcoal pair of pants, the problem is the color is not the same and could cause problems during evaluations.

The GD charcoal, the Smitty's brand and the Poly-Wools are all (about) the same colour.

The Honig's Ultimate are a different colour (darker than the Heather, but without the same greenish tinte as the others)

So the Smitty's have a green tint too?

Yes. From 5' away, you won't be able to tell the difference between the Smitty and the poly-wool fabric. (Or, at least, any difference would be as close as between any two brands / years of heather gray pants.)

I suppose if you work MiLB or MLB or maybe D-1, having more of a match might be important. For the rest, having the same general shade is sufficient, in my opinion.

I wore my new Smitty's plate and base pants again tonight for a DH. I'm starting to really like these pants. The fabric is very comfortable, and they hang well. Hopefully they will be durable as well, but only time will tell with that.