Register or Sign In to remove these ads
Guest Dhiren Chaudhari

Cricket umpiring scenario

Question

Guest Dhiren Chaudhari

Hello ! i have a question, if less than three minutes to go for tea and batting side's eight down, the next ball sharply bounces and hits the batsman and he/she 'retire-not out' and goes of the field. and there are three balls left in that over. now fielding captain requests umpire that to grand 30 min extra and extend the play. should umpire call and take immediately tea or grant fielding side 30 mins extra? thank you.

10 answers to this question

Register or Sign In to remove these ads

Unfortunately, you have found a baseball umpiring forum. Not a cricket one. 

Though it will be fun to see if anyone has an answer for him. Especially our international brethren. 

Hello ! i have a question, if less than three minutes to go for tea and batting side's eight down, the next ball sharply bounces and hits the batsman and he/she 'retire-not out' and goes of the field. and there are three balls left in that over. now fielding captain requests umpire that to grand 30 min extra and extend the play. should umpire call and take immediately tea or grant fielding side 30 mins extra? thank you.

What flavor of tea are you talking about. If it is sweet tea take the tea break otherwise continue in field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no idea what "take immediately tea," but I'm sure it's correct.

13 hours ago, maven said:

I have no idea what "take immediately tea," but I'm sure it's correct.

It means exactly what it says. They literally have a break for tea. They also have lunch breaks. 

15 hours ago, JSam21 said:

They also have lunch breaks. 

And some people on this board whine about how long some of their games take!  

• Like 1

On 12/11/2017 at 10:03 AM, Aging_Arbiter said:

day game or night game?

Usually, it would depend on the kind of match.  One-day matches can be all daytime, or day/night, while Tests are usually daytime.  (Having said that, the second Ashes Test in Adelaide was a day/night Test.)

(You spend six years in Australia, you learn a few things about the game.  By no means am I an expert, but I picked up stuff.)

For the question:  I wouldn't grant the extra time - take tea early.  The retired batsman hasn't lost his wicket, and could return, so it's not a situation where you'd be extending play to take the final wicket.

(I know - it's LIKE I'm speaking English, but it's like I'm not, too!)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

51 minutes ago, HokieUmp said:

Usually, it would depend on the kind of match.  One-day matches can be all daytime, or day/night, while Tests are usually daytime.  (Having said that, the second Ashes Test in Adelaide was a day/night Test.)

(You spend six years in Australia, you learn a few things about the game.  By no means am I an expert, but I picked up stuff.)

For the question:  I wouldn't grant the extra time - take tea early.  The retired batsman hasn't lost his wicket, and could return, so it's not a situation where you'd be extending play to take the final wicket.

(I know - it's LIKE I'm speaking English, but it's like I'm not, too!)

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.