Where to start on learning NCAA ruleset

CaBlue
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2256 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Hi all,

I have a college schedule for the first time this coming season and I want to start familiarizing myself with the NCAA ruleset as soon as I can.  I plan to read the NCAA rules from cover to cover, but I think it would help to know where NCAA and pro differ in significant ways and what sections of the book I should pay special attention to.  Any guidance from all of you collegiate guys would be much appreciated.

I think there is (or was) a chart in the back of the NCAA book (but maybe I'm remembering from a different sport).

Get the current rule book from someone.  Read it and take your own notes on what is different.  What is "important and confusing" to me will be diffeernt for you.  When  you are done, you'll have your own personalized version of BRD that you can review before each game.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2017 at 12:28 AM, CaBlue said:

Yeah, I've heard that the DH rule is quite complicated.

It actually is pretty easy when you take so much of the written confusion from it. The basic thing to remember is you have two lineups. You have an offensive and defensive lineup and they are independent of each other.  Two 9 man lineups that are tracked basically.

• Like 2

An easy way that I learned is that the NCAA rule book is gospel and anything not covered there in covered by OBR.

Basically, the NCAA covers the differences.

You could also check with your assignor for possible conference adopted rules as well.

3 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

That would lead you astray in some esoteric situations more likely to be on a test than occur on your field:D

I agree, it seems that very few test questions are NOT from the NCAA book or mechanics manual. I find the NCAA rules easier to remember and enforce than the FED stuff.

The College Rulebook Study Guide is good place to start. I use it to supplement the rule book. I've always liked the way Carl explained the DH rule in the BRD. It helped me to understand the intricacies of that rule. Having the BRD will benefit you across all baseball codes. Both of the books I have mentioned are available on Amazon. Congratulations on your advancement. Don't sweat the small stuff. It will come to you over time.

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 8:47 PM, CaBlue said:

I have a college schedule for the first time this coming season and I want to start familiarizing myself with the NCAA ruleset as soon as I can.

Well, congratulations I suppose.  Maybe the left coasters do things differently.  I just don't get how anyone can get a college schedule without knowing the rules?  Don't you get invited/test/get evaluated first?  Shoot, even HS requires a test first.

Well, congratulations I suppose.  Maybe the left coasters do things differently.  I just don't get how anyone can get a college schedule without knowing the rules?  Don't you get invited/test/get evaluated first?  Shoot, even HS requires a test first.

Coordinators look for people that know how to work. I suspect CaBlue attended a camp to show his capability which is why he was added to a roster. He will now have to score an 85 or better on the NCAA test to keep his schedule.

• 1 month later...
On 12/11/2017 at 9:38 AM, Aging_Arbiter said:

Maybe he does know the rules, but maybe wants to find a way to know them better.  And if he's working college ball in SoCal he can umpire or he won't be doing it.