Register or Sign In to remove these ads
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lou

Mound visit with player from bench

Question

Guest Lou

Coach goes to mound with player from dugout, talks to pitcher. Then turns around with player and goes back to the dugout. Is there any ruling on taking a player with to the mound who was not in the game?  Thanks, Lou

8 answers to this question

6 hours ago, Guest Lou said:

Coach goes to mound with player from dugout, talks to pitcher. Then turns around with player and goes back to the dugout. Is there any ruling on taking a player with to the mound who was not in the game?  Thanks, Lou

Maybe a translator?

1 hour ago, Rich Ives said:

Maybe a translator?

Needed somebody that could speak kid.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Not that I know of.  They'll change it when some coach abuses it and brings his entire set of bench players to the mound every visit so they can all give their personal words of affirmation.

25 minutes ago, beerguy55 said:

Not that I know of.  They'll change it when some coach abuses it and brings his entire set of bench players to the mound every visit so they can all give their personal words of affirmation.

My 2012 BRD has a cite from Fitzpatrick (OBR) that only allows one coach on the diamond for a visit. Which, I believe, is why the MLBUM added an interp to allow a translator to come out.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 12:17 PM, Jimurray said:

My 2012 BRD has a cite from Fitzpatrick (OBR) that only allows one coach on the diamond for a visit. Which, I believe, is why the MLBUM added an interp to allow a translator to come out.

1 coach..............I believe OP said player.

1 hour ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

1 coach..............I believe OP said player.

At levels where you might be strict with this that player would either be considered a coach, a translator or a possible sub. He would not be allowed as a coach. He would be allowed as a translator. I don't know how he would be treated if the coach brought him out to expedite the change if the current pitcher stayed in the game.

Major League Baseball adopted a regulation in 2013 that allows a translator to accompany a manager or coach to the mound. Here’s what the MLBUM (2015 edition, p. 42) says about the regulation:

“Standards and On-Field Operations Regulation 2-2 (Occupying the Bench) provides that a full-time interpreter is permitted to enter the playing field during a game to translate for a coach or manager on an official visit to the pitcher as well as for the evaluation of an injury of a player. Interpreters are not permitted onto the playing field under any other circumstances, including when a catcher and/or infielder(s) visit the mound without a coach or manager.”

Heaven help you if you disagree with this regulation--just ask Red Sox color analyst Jerry Remy who just this past season (in June, I think) voiced his opposition to interpreters being allowed on the field during a game against the Yankees and caught hell for it.

• Thanks 1

Mr. Jimurray, the cite you referenced from the 2012 edition of the BRD was replaced by this one in the 2016 BRD (section 151, p. 115):

Official Interpretation:  On visits to the mound, only one manager or coach may be in attendance. While other members of the defensive team are allowed to confer on the mound during the visit, they must vacate the mound when the visit concludes. Once the visit ends, no further discussion with any defensive players may continue. (Wendelstedt, email to Childress, 7/13/12)

And here’s an official interpretation for the NCAA about the use of translators (2016 BRD, section 154, p. 116):

A sign language interpreter may accompany the coach to the mound for a conference. However, a player who cannot speak English will not be cause enough for the umpire to allow an interpreter to accompany the coach to the mound. If the player is a full-time student at one of our colleges or universities, he should be able to converse in the English language. (Paronto, Arbiter Hub Mar 2015 #1)

• Thanks 1

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this